• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico 2023 Taos Mini-Gathering Report and Pics

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking at the web cam it looks like a ghost town. Kinda crazy just shutting down the resort.

On another note, I been thinking what I'm gonna do next season, been planning to get the Taos season pass again, got the Value last year, been planning to get the Kachina this year, not that much more really when you look at cost per ski day, ski pass cost is only about 10% of my total cost. Also thinking about getting a ikon ski pass, and ski some different resorts next season.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What a bummer, hopefully they get the situation fixed soon.

How about people staying in on mountain lodging, are they out of water too??

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

James

Out There
Instructor
Wow, that was good. The Mahres get the award for best skiing. Probably being in instruction for a long time kept them up on it. (Mahre training center at Keystone before Vail)
There’s hope for the others, esp McKinney, after Klammer called her skiing “lazy”. ogsmile

I would disagree about learning the Whitepass Turn though. It's a good exercise.

Last edited:

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
You beat me to it - I was waiting to see you in there too!

@Tex - Christine had us doing the White Pass turn as an exercise (but didn't use that name - might have used airplane turn). I've definitely played with it some since & do find it helps focus on the little toe edge - fun stupid skier trick. I did a lot better with that than keeping edges flat and spinning around - still suck at that.

@James - think he was objecting to using that turn as an actual tactic in competition, not as a drill.

Sandy_NYC

Getting off the lift
Skier
Any guesses as to who I was skiing with today? Three pairs of identical FIS SLs on the lift.

Today was the first time Taos has been open since Saturday. Firm in the morning, slush in the afternoon. Spring has arrived. Fun running into @Snowfan during @KingGrump spring training camp.

6EEE03F9-240C-431C-BC7A-CD11479322A2.jpeg

43D27C11-0626-4B50-9632-F94CAF301D08.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
Any guesses as to who I was skiing with today? Three pairs of identical FIS SLs on the lift.

Today was the first time Taos has been open since Saturday. Firm in the morning, slush in the afternoon. Spring has arrived. Fun running into @Snowfan during @KingGrump spring training camp.
0592B5BF-D2B0-4958-A372-FC566EF56103.jpeg
^ An aesthetic horror show with those gate deflectors.
The Society for the Preservation of the Round Ski Tip has been informed.

Sponsor

Staff online