• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Volkl Kendo 88

Floyd47

Putting on skis
Skier
The 88 or 94 is great for bumps. But I gotta say the more I ski my kendo, I realize it’s the most versatile east coast front side all mountain ski ever made. More than a mantra in the east coast at least.. Guarantee if I was back home, I’d be mantra 102 all day, every day, unless it’s deep or back country. The Blazes are great but they have a noticeable speed limit.

I have the Blaze in both 94 & 106. The '23 Kendo is my DD at Taos. The M6 haven't been out much after picking up the Kendo in end of Jan '23.

The Blaze 86 is not enough ski for me, especially on groomers. The Blaze family of skis are much more mellow series of skis when compared to the Mantra/Kendo family. They are great in softer bumps but lacks the rebound and suspension that make a ski fun on the groomer.
Thanks for the info. I have the ‘23 Kendo. It’s the first ski I’ve ever owned, coming back to skiing two years ago after almost a decade away, so I don’t have a point of comparison, but it’s been a very fun ski.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
Had some Blaze 94's out last week. Lots of fun in 10 inches of light powder, float very nicely.
Soft-er bumps they were good. Scraped off but not icy piste they were too soft at each end.

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
The Kendos have really helped me in skiing. I've improved, to be sure, regardless of the Kendos, but they do afford a sense of confidence because they're so well damped (probably some other terms would more accurate but I think it works)

Often in variable snow which is the norm right now on the east coast, constantly hitting pockets of skied off powder, ice, water/slush and hardpack all within 30 feet of each other and randomly, makes other skis I own feel unstable and get knocked around a bit. It's more of a sensation probably than an actual problem, but enough to be very distracting and cause me to get a little psyched out...

...not the Kendos, they blast through all of it. Initially I had to work getting it on edge (and still do but have come a long way), but once I was able to, I could reap its benefits.

So even though it's technically a less approachable ski than say an intermediate ski, it boosts a real sense confidence more than all other skis I've been on, and thats enough to allow me to focus on getting to the next level. Steep Blues and Black diamonds with the aforementioned conditions aren't as daunting now.

Can't say enough good things about this ski.

Floyd47

Putting on skis
Skier
What length Kendo would you recommend for someone 5’9”, 150-160 lbs? Early advanced skier, but not expert.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Been wanting to try the Kendo’s for a while and seeing some end of the year sales has me tempted. My quiver in this range is already a little crowded with a 22/23 SR88 184, 20/21 SR95 184 and 19/20 Rustler 9 180 but was thinking about the 177 Kendo’s. Use would be focused on off-piste NE skiing… Killington tree’s and bumps so was thinking on the shorter end for tighter terrain. On-piste my Stockli WRTs are my daily drivers but want something that will still be fun on-piste in between bump and tree runs. I’m a beginning bump/tree skier but really am starting to enjoy them. 6’2” and 220 pounds at the moment. I was hoping to demo the kendo’s this season but it didn’t happen. 177 Kendo’s seem to fit what I’m looking for but appreciate any feedback. Also curious if there is too much overlap with the SR88s to justify them but a quiver is never static. ;)

Levy1

Putting on skis
Skier
One of the best skies from Vokl in a long time. Love mine!

James

Out There
Instructor
. I was hoping to demo the kendo’s this season but it didn’t happen. 177 Kendo’s seem to fit what I’m looking for but appreciate any feedback. Also curious if there is too much overlap with the SR88s to justify them but a quiver is never static. ;)
Peak Performance in Kton probably has a stack of Demos or new ones. Sales should be starting.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah it could use a more compliant front end for moguls too. Still a very good ski. I’m trying to figure out the front end though.

Reactions: BMC

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m a beginning bump/tree skier but really am starting to enjoy them.

Volkl Blaze 86, if you are starting bumps & trees. Turns much quicker in tight spaces with a lot less effort. A much slower ski than the Kendo on the groomer though.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @KingGrump and @Brian Finch . Blaze and Kanjo seem like good options and there are some deals on them now. Seems like the Kanjo might be more interesting when in between bump/tree runs on groomers but if I want to really focus on my bump/tree skiing I could play along the sides and dip in and out of the trees when skiing groomers with my buddies.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just got an email from a shop with a 50% off end of year sale. No Blaze 86s or Kanjos but Kendo’s 177 for 349 shipped. :doh:

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Ski Monster with code THANKYOU.

At this price I have the feeling that I’m going to end up with both lol. I have two pairs of bindings sitting on my bench that need a home. ;)

Last edited:

AJB

Booting up
Skier
What length Kendo would you recommend for someone 5’9”, 150-160 lbs? Early advanced skier, but not expert.
Adv 5’8” 170 running 21’ Kendo 170. Love them, they need to be driven and being on the relatively lighter side do get a bit noisy/feedback on hard pick/ice, but hold very well. Able to adjust pressure and easily make wide and short turns without issue (rebound is nice). Good technique is important if you’re not able to get to the gym enough, like me. If I push morning session hard can end up with noodles early afternoon (gotta get into gym). Still trying to figure out bumps with these. Mostly ski in west.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Adv 5’8” 170 running 21’ Kendo 170. Love them, they need to be driven and being on the relatively lighter side do get a bit noisy/feedback on hard pick/ice, but hold very well. Able to adjust pressure and easily make wide and short turns without issue (rebound is nice). Good technique is important if you’re not able to get to the gym enough, like me. If I push morning session hard can end up with noodles early afternoon (gotta get into gym). Still trying to figure out bumps with these. Mostly ski in west.

A '21 is a gen 4 Kendo. Try a 5th gen Kendo. They finally got the 3D radius thing right. Much smoother in the off piste & bumps.

IMO, the 4th gen Kendo is a dog. My least favorite out of all the gens. Gave it away after 46 days.
I am currently on my 7th pair of Kendo since 2011. Pair #8 in wrapper waiting n the wing for next season.

AJB

Booting up
Skier
A '21 is a gen 4 Kendo. Try a 5th gen Kendo. They finally got the 3D radius thing right. Much smoother in the off piste & bumps.

IMO, the 4th gen Kendo is a dog. My least favorite out of all the gens. Gave it away after 46 days.
I am currently on my 7th pair of Kendo since 2011. Pair #8 in wrapper waiting n the wing for next season.

Saving up for 5th gen and some new boots 24-25’. Was jealous once reading rave reviews of 5th gen when they came out. Looking forward to better performance in the bumps. Good to hear this from a Kendo veteran.

Sponsor