• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

22-23 - New Atomic Bindings for DIN 24/30?

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Once you see them in person they do strike some amazing similarities.

The heelpiece is definitely the Salomon/Atomic standard. The toe is the Marker design. The plate is a bit different - not a full Piston plate but still one that isn't drilled for the X Race binding. Having seen Atomic's FIS skis for both the X Race and Icon bindings you need to get the proper plate for the intending binding setup.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
B13714EB-2B21-4A0D-910B-7DDD6D1B6926.jpeg

Look familiar? Pic from this season. Marker is still making em ;)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow--would be nice if us mortals could still get them....
As Rudi said early on ... if you need them, Atomic/Salomon will find you.
But as they say: if you need this binding Atomic/Salomon will find you. In other words: it'll go to their top sponsored alpine racers and given the DIN range will certainly not be available to mere mortals.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would be surprised if we don't see a 10ish-20ish version in the near future ... for mortals. I don't think we will see bindings that start at 14 and 20 in the shelves in retailers.

As far as the skis that @DocGKR got with the 30's ... I know Salomon is none to happy that they became available on the market/

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
As far as the skis that @DocGKR got with the 30's ... I know Salomon is none to happy that they became available on the market/
If these are as low volume and controlled as y'all say, I assume they are serial numbered and it would be a trivial matter to trace them back to the leak...if they so desire. Otherwise, it sounds like the "leaks" by auto mfrs to boost publicity.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If these are as low volume and controlled as y'all say, I assume they are serial numbered and it would be a trivial matter to trace them back to the leak...if they so desire. Otherwise, it sounds like the "leaks" by auto mfrs to boost publicity.
Conspirecy theorists unite! Leaks are just as effective in images, having a binding out there that starts at a 24 (whatever that really means) isn't prudent. We can only speculate on the athlete who had and sold the skis in open market but I seriously doubt it was the manufacturer doing the leaking.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Conspirecy theorists unite! Leaks are just as effective in images, having a binding out there that starts at a 24 (whatever that really means) isn't prudent. We can only speculate on the athlete who had and sold the skis in open market but I seriously doubt it was the manufacturer doing the leaking.
The original comment was that "Salomon is none too happy..." If that truly is the case, it seems a very easy problem to solve... unless they don't want to. Call it what you want, however. :P

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The original comment was that "Salomon is none too happy..." If that truly is the case, it seems a very easy problem to solve... unless they don't want to. Call it what you want, however. :P
The athlete had the gear. They might not have had the control.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So wasn't the Marker XComp an attempt to combine the best of both worlds? The best qualities of the Comp with the best of the XCell?
(the three screw configuration of the Comp with the X (crossover) of the XCell, whatever that was?)
Guess it didn't work so well?

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Also, now that I've read this whole thread, I have to say the impression I got from it that the IKON 20-30 and IKON 14-20 are not available, or are hard to get (both with the IKON specific plate, instead of the VAR/MOD plate), is apparently not the case for this season, for a very short window, since these are mostly available from shops that have pre-ordered them, probably in small quantities, back in March or something. The race shop I went to had two of each version of 188/30s, IKON plate and Var plate, and the manager just asked me which REVO version I wanted. (He had two of each so a racer could have both a practice pair and a game day pair of either the IKON or the VAR versions).

I could have bought either one, albeit the IKON was more expensive.

I asked him about the differences, and he answered that he had been told that the IKON version was quicker and more immediate in the turn, with less slight give or wobble at the binding.

I told him it looked like a response to Marcel Hirscher and disciples, belatedly, and he agreed.

I've already purchased the Var version and am having a Var 16 put on it - basically, because of the DIN numbers.
(At that moment I didn't realize that the VAR16 had dependability issues.)
But I could just as easily have gotten the 24 or 30 IKON setup. He showed me both bindings in the boxes.

If anyone wants a pair of either IKON, they can get them, for a very limited time - and at racer's discount pricing if in a program or known to them, I gather.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow--would be nice if us mortals could still get them....

Actually you can!

note the new color with black in it which shows it is from the new run, not NOS

i had wondered about the new color because I saw them on Simon kammerlander‘s (Bolivian WC racer) kastles when he was training with us at paisades last year

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Funny for everyone that screams that they must have an all metal binding, the rear spring housing on these new Icons are a carbon infused Polyamide. In talking to Salomons product manager, they believe in this application it is actually stonger than metal.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Funny for everyone that screams that they must have an all metal binding, the rear spring housing on these new Icons are a carbon infused Polyamide. In talking to Salomons product manager, they believe in this application it is actually stonger than metal.
Of course they do, and it may be, but it may not be. I spent a few years working at an engineered polymers company, so I have some experience in fancy plastics. :)

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A postscript, if anyone wants the phone number of the race shop I went to, where they still have the 188/30 with both plate/binding versions, and the full range of Atomic binding versions, I can p.m. that to you, or -
It's the same one Doug Briggs works at, in Breckenridge, and Chuck is the owner. Racer's Edge.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
A postscript, if anyone wants the phone number of the race shop I went to, where they still have the 188/30 with both plate/binding versions, and the full range of Atomic binding versions, I can p.m. that to you, or -
It's the same one Doug Briggs works at, in Breckenridge, and Chuck is the owner. Racer's Edge.
Very impressed with this shop, their knowledge and their professionalism. Would highly recommend.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Very impressed with this shop, their knowledge and their professionalism. Would highly recommend.
I was impressed with the large inventory of Atomc race skis in such a small space. (That was back in May.)

Sponsor