• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

23/24 Ikon Pass?

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Looks like the details dropped this morning on their website with prices. On Sale March 16.

I would love to see a comparison on access vs. 22/23.

Check this site out https://www.stormskiing.com/p/taos-...ion_id=7871&post_id=107410849&isFreemail=true

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Is Taos on the Base Plus pass new? (I didn't get an Ikon last season so not sure when that started.) Alta/Snowbird going to Base Plus was a big reason for me to not get an Ikon last year, and it looks like the trend is spreading. The 4-day session pass isn't even that great a deal compared to the equivalent Epic product. The pricing is off the charts for those of us on a budget.

Yes, it was on the base pass last season.. Taos only on the "base Plus" https://www.stormskiing.com/p/taos-...ion_id=7871&post_id=107410849&isFreemail=true

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Lots of info on this site: https://www.stormskiing.com/p/taos-...ion_id=7871&post_id=107410849&isFreemail=true

1678382954567.png

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well shoot. I was ready to pull the trigger on the Ikon pass but the spring skiing in Colorado doesn't start until April 10th which is after my son's spring break.
Yea, this has to do with timing of Easter which is sort of a customary last day of the core season, even though it moves around every year.

To set your future expectations it is very unlikely that you will ever get free spring skiing on a passes until after Easter, unless it is super super late, in a bad season. Don't hold me to it though, the lords of the passes may change their strategy anytime in the future if they need to boost sales

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was going to buy the base pass because we almost never go anywhere else for more than 5 days and avoid holidays anyhow. But with Taos not on the base pass, the difference in price between the base pass plus and the full pass is negligible.

Waiting to see what a Winter Park only pass is. May do that and go with the Mountain Collective or the Colorado Gems card instead. Sick of the obscene crowds.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not there yet in terms of age but I don't think Ikon offers any senior pricing either, whereas Epic at least has some products for people 64+. Strictly based on pricing and flexibility (regional passes, etc.), I'd say it's advantage Epic right now.

TS
Cameron

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm pretty sure it's done on purpose. They would try to miss all the spring breaks, which is the prime time for THIS season.

Yea, this has to do with timing of Easter which is sort of a customary last day of the core season, even though it moves around every year.

To set your future expectations it is very unlikely that you will ever get free spring skiing on a passes until after Easter, unless it is super super late, in a bad season. Don't hold me to it though, the lords of the passes may change their strategy anytime in the future if they need to boost sales

I was really hoping it would be April 1st so I could justify the cost to myself but it looks like we'll stick with our plans to go to the beach instead. Unfortunately with only being able to get in a single 1 week trip per year these multi-resort passes are pretty much a non-starter for me.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I was really hoping it would be April 1st so I could justify the cost to myself but it looks like we'll stick with our plans to go to the beach instead. Unfortunately with only being able to get in a single 1 week trip per year these multi-resort passes are pretty much a non-starter for me.
Which means your damned if you do or damned if you don't. If you have to purchase a week's worth of tickets at any of these resorts it costs more than the pass.

TS
Cameron

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Which means your damned if you do or damned if you don't. If you have to purchase a week's worth of tickets at any of these resorts it costs more than the pass.
I just skip the resorts on the mega passes since their lift ticket prices all seem to be the highest. I plan to go back to Grand Targhee which should be $100 or less per day, I'll just need to start selling blood or plasma to help cover the airfare in to Jackson.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier

If you're only looking at a 1 resort, keep an eye at for your particular resort you are interested in. They may push an independent spring special or ticket pack just for that resort... Sometimes you also have to look at the lodging ski and stay packages to find the discounts. They don't want to directly compete with their own pass products and they want to keep the promise that you get the best deal with a pass

Last edited:

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I just skip the resorts on the mega passes since their lift ticket prices all seem to be the highest. I plan to go back to Grand Targhee which should be $100 or less per day, I'll just need to start selling blood or plasma to help cover the airfare in to Jackson.
After 5 rounds of Chemo I think my blood and plasma are worthless.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I need the Ikon base to ski my favourite hill. They do have a local's pass, but it's more a "bronze level" pass. Blacked out over all holidays. And it's not that much cheaper than the base pass.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sounds like a steep but reasonable price increase. Could imagine that some people will take a wait and see approach and not buy a pass at all. Maybe Liftopia will come back in a different form.

Lake n Ski

Putting on skis
Skier

Phredman

The Flying Highlighter
Skier
Ikon passes go on sale on March 16; Epic passes are already on sale; and Indy passes go on sale (1) on April 1 for newbies, and are already being offered for purchase for those who are renewing. For people looking to buy the indy for the first time, get on the waitlist now. They sell to renewers until 3/24, and then the waitlist period runs between March 24-30. April 1 and onward is open to the general public.

I know this thread was just directed toward Ikon passes, but the more ya know, right?!

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The 23/24 prices for the Ikon pass slightly increase the gap between the cost of a full Ikon pass and a full Epic pass. The Ikon pass is $250 more expensive this year vs. $238 more expensive last year.

I think I've gotten to a point where, as an Ikon skier, I'm actually rooting for the cost of an Ikon pass to increase further and that cost gap to the Epic pass to continue to widen. All things being equal, I'd rather keep more of my money in my pocket, but if I'm faced with a choice of saving money on a pass and having crowding issues detract from my skiing experience, or paying several hundred dollars a year more and having a less crowded, better overall experience on better mountains, I 100% will choose spending the extra cash.

My family skis enough that the per ski day cost for these passes is already ridiculously cheap. If the lower Epic pass prices pull in more customers to Vail mountains and Ikon's approach is to sell fewer passes at a higher per pass cost, I'm very happy to pay the extra $5 or $10 per ski day for the Ikon pass.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
As an RN it is hard to stray from Ikon, had the full pass this year but might go down to the base next year. Even on that level there is a great group of resorts, can go basically anywhere in North America and I've never skied more than 5 days at one place. Bummed about Taos though, was contemplating a trip there but now I might do a California trip instead.

Sponsor

Staff online