• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A Journey Back...

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have no experience with this product but it looks like an interesting way to get some reformer benefits.

I have a railing just like that on my stairs. That is definitely intriguing!

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How goes the journey, @coskigirl ? I've stalled hard on mine. I had great success from August to December but have been stuck at the same weight for almost 2 months. Super frustrated.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Over the last 2 years of law school and bar study my physical well-being took a back seat which has also affected my mental well-being. It was so bad that my ski days last year were short and reserved to nearly all groomers because I just didn't trust my strength to avoid injury in most of my beloved terrain. Honestly, I nearly cried every ski day because it was just so disappointing. It also created a toxic blame cycle in my own head that has served as a barrier to doing anything.

Now that I've passed the bar exam, I have time to devote to the journey back to wellness. Many of you have seen me cycle through levels of fitness so I completely understand if you're rolling your eyes and thinking "here we go again..." because in all honesty, I am doing the same even through I know that I had plenty of reason for getting to this point. I need to get my physical strength and cardio fitness back and lose weight. I'm focusing first on the fitness and strength just because I'm overwhelmed with trying to do it all at once and the strength/cardio work will make for a better/safer ski season. I also know that as I start exercising more I naturally chose better eating habits.

To start off I am getting back on the bike. Both outside on the mountain bike (although keeping to gravel paths for the most part while I work back in) and the Peloton. I started hiking right after the bar exam to get ready for my trip to Chamonix and will continue that as well. I recognized that I just couldn't get the strength back with just these but I wanted to add something with less impact on my joints that plyometrics (saving the impact stuff for skiing) so I'm adding in reformer pilates and am really enjoying it. The studio I'm going to does a 30 minute intro class for free then requires 3 private lessons to help me learn proper technique, form, and how to use the machine before you can start doing group lessons. Let me tell you, the work on the core, especially that deep lower core is intense and effective. We are also working on leg, back, and arm strength. I've also always loved the way a good stretch feels and part of pilates involves nice deep stretches so that feels amazing.

Anyhow, I thought I'd start a thread to help keep me accountable as I get back to the physical body that I'm comfortable with and that allows me to do all the things I want to do.
I’m about to start using a reformer as well! ( March)
I’m going through PT at the moment- doing well missed 3 plus seasons due to orthopedic issues and surgeries but my cardio has suffered as a result so there’s that to work on. The pandemic didn’t help either - don’t discount the effect that had.
Admire you laying it out there, speaks highly of this forum that you felt comfortable enough to do that and the responses prove it. . If you can pass the bar , you can reach the physical goals, just set them in stages.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have a railing just like that on my stairs. That is definitely intriguing!
Yes, Just make sure you have a solid point of attachment and enough room around it . is the Tension adjustable?
And…make sure your mat is non-slip :D

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How goes the journey, @coskigirl ? I've stalled hard on mine. I had great success from August to December but have been stuck at the same weight for almost 2 months. Super frustrated.
I'm not sure how/why I missed this thread but thanks for the bump. Lots of good information here about ski fitness.

@coskigirl hope your journey is going well.
How did skiing with Dad go?

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I'm not sure how/why I missed this thread but thanks for the bump. Lots of good information here about ski fitness.

@coskigirl hope your journey is going well.
How did skiing with Dad go?

Thanks for checking in. Unfortunately, between holidays and my mother's health things have stalled. I said goodbyes to my mom while my dad was here as she thought it was the end. It wasn't but since then she's had a toe amputated due to infection in the bone and emergency exploratory abdominal surgery. She's back in rehab now and on 6 weeks of IV antibiotics but given the last 15 months, it's just a matter of time before she's back in the hospital.

Skiing with my dad was absolutely amazing. We had a very special week together with my aunt (his sister) and uncle (aunt's husband) skiing, cooking, and lots of talking. They were so supportive of me when I had to drive down to Genessee after my mom called and asked me to come say goodbye. It's one of those weeks that will be in my heart until the day I die.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for checking in. Unfortunately, between holidays and my mother's health things have stalled. I said goodbyes to my mom while my dad was here as she thought it was the end. It wasn't but since then she's had a toe amputated due to infection in the bone and emergency exploratory abdominal surgery. She's back in rehab now and on 6 weeks of IV antibiotics but given the last 15 months, it's just a matter of time before she's back in the hospital.

Skiing with my dad was absolutely amazing. We had a very special week together with my aunt (his sister) and uncle (aunt's husband) skiing, cooking, and lots of talking. They were so supportive of me when I had to drive down to Genessee after my mom called and asked me to come say goodbye. It's one of those weeks that will be in my heart until the day I die.

Sounds rough. I can't imagine the emotional swings with what you're going through.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds rough. I can't imagine the emotional swings with what you're going through.

It’s been an emotional rollercoaster and I’m on it until mom passes. At least I know that we’ve had the important conversations so when the call comes, I won’t have regrets.

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s been an emotional rollercoaster and I’m on it until mom passes. At least I know that we’ve had the important conversations so when the call comes, I won’t have regrets.

I hope you're finding things to distract you. I know that helps me when coping with these types of things.

Sponsor

Staff online