• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A proposal for a new idea for choosing future Gathering destinations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
To add to the conversation, another benefit I see to the app is the ability for sub-groups. There's the Admin stream and a general chat stream for the entire roster of attendees. Then if others wanted to have a separate chat with only 4-6 people they could do that, right? I imagine the Ministry would have one as they have bad ideas to execute and sometimes get separated. East coasters who don't have bad ideas and like to ski together might want a sub-group. The advantage being that if I wanted to try and keep up with the Ministry in the morning and then ski with others in the afternoon I don't need to broadcast that in the general chat and there's more of a chance that that sub-group would see the message.
Exactly.

The El Jefe doesn't need to organize each little group. They can work out mini WhatsApp groups on their own. But the main App should be limited to official posters and For Info Only, not conversations. Otherwise it will quickly look like this thread, or heaven forbid one of the how to carve threads, and important stuff like where to après will get lost.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yikes. This is getting complicated.

I don't miss people on the lifts with walkie-talkies yelling:

• Where are you?
  • On the lift!
  • Which lift?
  • Where are you going?
  • Up!
  • I am going to the bathroom
  • I am going to lunch
  • I can't here you
Or:
"Mom!"
"I'm here!"

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Exactly.

The El Jefe doesn't need to organize each little group. They can work out mini WhatsApp groups on their own. But the main App should be limited to official posters and For Info Only, not conversations. Otherwise it will quickly look like this thread, or heaven forbid one of the how to carve threads, and important stuff like where to après will get lost.

So, we just call @dbostedo to figure out which WhatsApp subgroup of 17 dozen is appropriate for us. *shrug* Works for me.

James

Out There
Instructor
Haha, I won’t bring up something like Zello or Voxer, walkie talkie apps.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
In the wake of some of the comments in this thread and elsewhere, I suggest that a SkiTalk gathering should meet the wants and needs of SkiTalkers. It can't be all things to all people.

For this purpose, I'm defining SkiTalkers as people who are actively reading the site - if not necessarily posting frequently - and who are very engaged with the sport of skiing, to the point that they make it a high priority in their lives. As a SkiTalker you are not necessarily technically proficient at skiing, or confident in challenging terrain & conditions, but you're into the whole thing.

To be clear, I love having spouses and friends and various fellow travelers along. I'm all over that as an enriching aspect of the group and encourage it. Often, however, these people are not SkiTalkers as defined above. Because they may be coming from a different place, I don't believe their preferences and needs should influence planning. Otherwise we're back to that compromise half-assed ski trip that happens when you need to accommodate uncle Hal and the nieces, who need their mall and movie time every other day. That's what drove many of us to gatherings in the first place.

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Exactly.

Agreed. At the NEG last weekend there was the Main WhatsApp group, but a subgroup of us who were staying at the same lodging had our own group for the purposes of our own logistics…like in which room wine was being served, and who was riding in whose car.
Ok, there were some conversations on the Main App about random stuff, like when I encountered a disoriented @TonyS as I was exiting a stall at Sutton,

IMG_0482.jpeg
but the NEG was a trial, and the permissions/For Info Only can be set up differently for the National Gathering. WhatsApp is much easier to access/refer to in real time than digging up a thread on the forum.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Agreed. At the NEG last weekend there was the Main WhatsApp group, but a subgroup of us who were staying at the same lodging had our own group for the purposes of our own logistics…like in which room wine was being served, and who was riding in whose car.
Ok, there were some conversations on the Main App about random stuff, like when I encountered a disoriented @TonyS as I was exiting a stall at Sutton,

View attachment 231127
but the NEG was a trial, and the permissions/For Info Only can be set up differently for the National Gathering. WhatsApp is much easier to access/refer to in real time than digging up a thread on the forum.
This definitely falls under the rule of "never explain."

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 231127
I enjoyed receiving this photo on WhatsApp.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think we need to change the title of this thread cuz 22 pages in and very little discussion about next year's destination and endless discussion about something that people should either want to use or not. The entire group does not have to use it if some would like to. my $.03

James

Out There
Instructor
^^ You gave yourself an extra penny??

It would be more interesting to change the discussion form the current “I don’t wanna do __” , to “how about we have __ “ , or “we do ___.”

Like have demos, get a mountain host one morning, carry a grill and cook outside, whatever. Anything, to do or have as oppossed to, not do or not have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online