• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

All new WRX for 2022

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Golf R MPG 23 city 30 highway (automatic)

WRX MPG 19 city 25 highway (CVT)

...I'm looking forward to seeing how Corolla GR stacks up.
Subaru turbo motors have never been particularly efficient. My wife's Legacy GT averaged 19.5 mpg(calculated by actual gas records) in the 90k miles she owned it. It got significantly worse mileage when I drove it for some reason. :huh: :ogbiggrin:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Check out the plastic-clad fenders on the new Toyota Crown:

2023-toyota-crown-113-1657642178.jpeg

If they have to make sedans look like SUVs to save the sedan, I guess it's not such a bad thing. Better than sedans going away altogether.

Hopefully, they will make a GR Crown down the road. It's got the potential as fun and fuel-efficient ski car. Love they have an eight-speed transmission instead of the CVT in the top trim (still with a hybrid).

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

View attachment 173424

If they have to make sedans look like SUVs to save the sedan, I guess it's not such a bad thing. Better than sedans going away altogether.

Hopefully, they will make a GR Crown down the road. It's got the potential as fun and fuel-efficient ski car. Love they have an eight-speed transmission instead of the CVT in the top trim (still with a hybrid).

I guess Honda was ahead of its time in 2009. Remember this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Crosstour

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
Subaru turbo motors have never been particularly efficient. My wife's Legacy GT averaged 19.5 mpg(calculated by actual gas records) in the 90k miles she owned it. It got significantly worse mileage when I drove it for some reason. :huh: :ogbiggrin:
Smiles per mile, efficiency be damned!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-
A lot going on here to like but it's big, a scaled-down sport hatch version both Hybrid and full EV could be cool.

...and typical Toyota the 60/40 fold-downs present a fairly small pass thru window resembling the Camry's practically useless 60/40 fold-downs, (think VW Passat sedan spacious fold-downs that open up door to door, seat top to rear deck access to the entire rear cabin). Camry fold-downs will not fold down to sit flat and out of the way, they stick up and present a rather intrusive diagonal hump, no doubt Crown will be similar.

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 2.12.54 PM.png

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Move over Subaru Outback and Audi A6 Wagon, Crown Station Wagon Crossover, question is will it come to North America???

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 3.12.28 PM.png

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
What a pile that was... I think they sold 23 of them in all of Canada...
I still see them around here occasionally. The 2 biggest problems with them were they lost the Honda handling by jacking them up on big tires and they had almost no storage compared to any of the competition.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I still see them around here occasionally. The 2 biggest problems with them were they lost the Honda handling by jacking them up on big tires and they had almost no storage compared to any of the competition.

Yeah, they made them well. They are reliable just not really a market for them back then. Maybe today?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

You can -- still -- buy a lot of gas for the ~$7,000 price difference, but agree that Subie turbos are not very efficient, especially given the relatively small frontal area of the WRX.

A lot going on here to like but it's big, a scaled-down sport hatch version both Hybrid and full EV could be cool.

...and typical Toyota the 60/40 fold-downs present a fairly small pass thru window resembling the Camry's practically useless 60/40 fold-downs, (think VW Passat sedan spacious fold-downs that open up door to door, seat top to rear deck access to the entire rear cabin). Camry fold-downs will not fold down to sit flat and out of the way, they stick up and present a rather intrusive diagonal hump, no doubt Crown will be similar.

Wow, that is ridonculous! And odd, since the previous Rav4 was an absolute paragon of packaging genius.

When I was shopping for my last new "car" in 2013, I narrowed it down to an X3 and an XC60. The X3 has some real feel virtues, but the fact that it's rear seat folded down only sorta flat-ish was the tiebreaker.

I still think about that every time I put my dog or bicycle in the back. Flat is a must.

Move over Subaru Outback and Audi A6 Wagon, Crown Station Wagon Crossover, question is will it come to North America???

Toyota USA says nope to the wagon. Of course. As does BMW on the new M3 wagon. As does just about everybody about every wagon made.......no for USA.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
That's like the first generation Chevy Avalanche. They were practically giving them away for a while.

Yeah but those are piles of junk :huh:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor

You can -- still -- buy a lot of gas for the ~$7,000 price difference, but agree that Subie turbos are not very efficient, especially given the relatively small frontal area of the WRX.
Having owned both (manuals) I can attest that I get 4 to 5 mpg better with the Golf R over the WRX. After my mechanic did some kind of injector cleaning I was getting an incredible 31 miles to the gallon on my 64 mile RT springtime ski area commute & half of that is in race mode!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I can relate; I sometimes get terrible gas mileage. I blame it on battling an unusually strong headwind. Totally coincidentally, traffic is often light enough during these conditions to compensate with a huge reduction in travel time.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ FP, single-handedly bending the curve of the time/space continuum! :ogbiggrin:

Look out when he gets that Fun Car he's been shopping for!

Sponsor

Staff online