• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AllezOPI-OMI - TDF 2021

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The memes are out.

1624815345670.png

James

Out There
Instructor
I don’t get the sign. Could it be more generic and nonsensical?
“Go grandpa-grandma”??
Wtf. Dumbest ever. So dumb I’m not sure it’s late night talk show monologue worthy.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t get the sign. Could it be more generic and nonsensical?
“Go grandpa-grandma”??
Wtf. Dumbest ever. So dumb I’m not sure it's late night talk show monologue worthy.
If you want to start building a list of nonsensical tdf fan behaviors you'd best have plenty of time and supplies on hand. I was just thinking about this last night during Stage 2 as I watched three overweight pasty-skinned dudes in extra-small Speedos and almost* nothing else sprinting and jiggling up the Mur de Bretagne after the riders.

* The picture quality wasn't great, but I think they had something on their heads, too. Bathing caps? Is that possible? SMH.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
That person with the sign is a jerk. But : Why do sporting events have to allow spectators/coaches/substitutes/others be so close to the action as to be dangerous? It happens in nearly every sport.

The "out of bounds" line for the event should allow a reasonable distance away from the non-participants and fixed objects. "Reasonable" being defined by the speed and stopping distance for the ones participating. We see it all the time in sports where the participants are jumping into fan's laps, over the timing table, into the advertising boards, etc....

I content that it not reasonable to have:
  • Unrestrained spectators 1" off the roadway in a bicycle race.
  • Seated fans 2' away from the end line in a basketball game
  • Advertising boards about 2 meters from the edge of the soccer pitch

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The sign holder fled the scene and has yet to be found. apparently she will be sued .

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The organizing body of the TDF says they are suing . Whatever charges law enforcement may or may not pursue are two different things.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
The organizing body of the TDF says they are suing . Whatever charges law enforcement may or may not pursue are two different things.

I don't know French law, but each rider who was injured (physically, financially, and otherwise) could should also sue......

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't know French law, but each rider who was injured (physically, financially, and otherwise) could should also sue......
I assume they all sign a limit of liability with some sort hold harmless clause but I have no idea what the limits are. Naturally, the assumption would be that the tour organizers due the utmost to protect rider safety so I can imagine suits and counter suits to the degree they are allowed by French law.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@dan ross normally (no idea about Tour or cycling in general), competitors sign these things, but in general it's that organizer is covered and they can't sue organizer. Spectators on road are officially not part of the game, so these limitations don't apply to them. But with law system over here being completely different from US, it probably still wouldn't be so easy to sue her and be sure you will win.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ok, the woman with the sign has been arrested and could face 2 years in prison and a 35k fine .

James

Out There
Instructor
That’s more than a little ridiculous. What’s the actual charge?
The whole setup of people on the side is just a crap shoot. As is the whole peloton. They’re constantly crashing.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'd like to see this person do this at The Isle of Man or a Group B type rally. #Darwinwinner

Ever watched footage of portuguese Group B rallies? They. Did. That.

Everything the navarrese do with running bulls, the portuguese did with Group B cars. Not kidding. Nothing quite like the bragging rights of a shattered leg Monday at work.

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok, the woman with the sign has been arrested and could face 2 years in prison and a 35k fine .
Where'd you get this? The inital report I saw said she was subject to a charge that carried a 1500 Euro fine...unless one of the victims is impacted beyond 3 months. They didn't say what that would mean she might be subject to. I'd like to hear more about French law on this. In the US, I would expect that suits brought by the impacted individual riders and teams would be the big hazard to her.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@James @Philpug I have no idea either, most likely something like endangering public safety or something similar, but I honestly think anything they could charge her can't bring 2 years in jail and 35k penalty. I don't think anywhere in EU private person can be charged with 35k eur penalty (except for few countries, where penalty amount depends on your income, and you can actually pay 10.000eur for driving 5km too fast). So more likely it will be 200 or 300eur penalty and that's it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@James @Philpug I have no idea either, most likely something like endangering public safety or something similar, but I honestly think anything they could charge her can't bring 2 years in jail and 35k penalty. I don't think anywhere in EU private person can be charged with 35k eur penalty (except for few countries, where penalty amount depends on your income, and you can actually pay 10.000eur for driving 5km too fast). So more likely it will be 200 or 300eur penalty and that's it.
As most I they can make it very difficult (and costly in expenses) for her and use her as an example for other stupid people.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Where'd you get this? The inital report I saw said she was subject to a charge that carried a 1500 Euro fine...unless one of the victims is impacted beyond 3 months. They didn't say what that would mean she might be subject to. I'd like to hear more about French law on this. In the US, I would expect that suits brought by the impacted individual riders and teams would be the big hazard to her.
Both CNN and the BBC this morning

Sponsor

Staff online