• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Alpine-Touring hybrid setup

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My foray into a "real" touring setup means buying new boots, skis, bindings, and skins. A major cash outlay will be required.

You got that right ;) I spent $2K on my setup, but I got what I wanted, it worked as advertised, and I get triple duty out of it. The skis I use inbounds for certain conditions and they rock, the boots I use for race coaching, and they are great to stand around in on the hill, and it the setup tours and skis very well. I finally got deep in the woods on my setup, and my friends were struggling and I was leading the pack, which surprised me. Everything just works and is hassle free. I just have to remember to flip all the levers and buckles from one mode to the other. I finally got skins with less sticky glue so I don't have to peel them off my clothes as often, as well.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Do you use brakes or leashes or both?
My goodness those things are tiny. With no experience in this, it’s difficult to imagine it driving a 95mm ski let alone a Katana.

That and Marker Alpinist get top marks-
Brakes.

The mtn are bomber, a lot more so than the shifts.

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know a lot of people like the Salomon/Atomic tech bindings, but do be aware, if you want brakes, they performed poorly for lateral release (and are not very light either anymore).
This from a test in the German Magazine “Alpin”. They were unable to get the lateral release low enoough, no matter what adjustments they did, when using the brakes. Their theory was that the binding was designed and engineered without brakes, with those added later.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It helps. In leaning more and more towards Backland 95.ogsmile

I will wait a bit for more reviews on the new Zero G's. I hear they are different (and better) than current model.

And don’t forget the K2 Wayback series. Very lightweight, Affordable pricing, and consistent high marks in reviews for just working everywhere with no surprises. Not the “-est” in any single metric, but for normal touring, predictability and a lack of weaknesses is very valuable.

https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/packages/k2-wayback-96-binding-packs

Edit: I just remembered this is called a resort/touring hybrid thread. In that case, I’d say Tecton or beefier binding, and >1500g skis.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And don’t forget the K2 Wayback series. Very lightweight, Affordable pricing, and consistent high marks in reviews for just working everywhere with no surprises. Not the “-est” in any single metric, but for normal touring, predictability and a lack of weaknesses is very valuable.

https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/packages/k2-wayback-96-binding-packs

Edit: I just remembered this is called a resort/touring hybrid thread. In that case, I’d say Tecton or beefier binding, and >1500g skis.

Thanks!

I like very much the Tectons and will probably get them at a later point when I am hooked on touring.
Presently I have, or rather will have very soon when I remove them from the SR95s, a pair of Shifts I need to do something about. And I was just thinking ski around 1300 g with good floating abilities would be nice. Hence my leaning towards the Backlands. I will check the K2s as well tho.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tony Storaro , the Shift is the perfect 50/50 hybrid binding. Even better if you already have it! I just meant I wouldn’t pick a lightweight tech binding for a 50/50 set up.

Skis with good float, under 1300g, is going to be near impossible. Float means long and wide. That makes a ski heavier. I don’t know of any powder touring skis under 1300g (in lengths >180cm).

Even just to get a long and wide ski under under 1600g, it would need to be made with a very lightweight construction. Which means it probably won’t ski very well on hardpack and poor conditions, especially when judged as an inbounds ski.
That might be ok if it is a fat powder ski, but those won’t be under 1300g in even the lightest constructions. (Example: Voile HyperV8 1470 grams in 181cm).

So I would pick something much heavier, and give up some float. That way you can have a ski that warrants the 50/50 use of a Shift.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skis with good float, under 1300g, is going to be near impossible. Float means long and wide. That makes a ski heavier. I don’t know of any powder touring skis under 1300g (in lengths >180cm).

I perhaps did not explain that correctly. I do realize that at my size, skis with good float will mean something 110+ .
What I imagine is a ski that would be easy to navigate through say 30cm of powder without constantly searching for the hard pack beneath it to bite into it as the SRs do.
Nothing too crazy. Anything else like on piste performance is an added bonus as the time spent going down will be negligible in comparison to the time spent going up.

Or so I imagine.

Last edited:

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I read a Outdoor Gear review on touring skis that ranked the Kastle TX 98 touring model as their top ski due to reasonable light weight and as good as an alpine ski downhill performance. It weighs 1400 grams. Like all Kastle's its pricey. Personally you seem to like the Atomic Backland so don't overthink it, any of the skis suggested will work well.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I read a Outdoor Gear review on touring skis that ranked the Kästle TX 98 touring model

Will I need new brakes for the Shifts if I go wider than 95mm? I think they are now 100mm, what is the margin there?

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A couple of links suggesting that the weight-in-pack to weight-on-legs ratio is 5:1.

Also came across these skis from Back Diamond:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
A couple of links suggesting that the weight-in-pack to weight-on-legs ratio is 5:1.

The problem is that I've seen that same 5:1 ratio published as kilograms and pounds. So which is it? There's a big difference between the two.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The problem is that I've seen that same 5:1 ratio published as kilograms and pounds. So which is it? There's a big difference between the two.
Doesn’t the ratio remain the same whether it’s 5 lbs to 1 lb or 5 kg to 1 kg? It’s 5:1, no matter the size of units. 1 kilo on your feet tires you as much as 5 kg on your back. Or if you prefer, 1/2 kilo on your feet is equivalent (in terms of effort) as 2.5 kg on your back.

James

Out There
Instructor
1 Stone on your feet is 5 Stone on your back.
That’s a lotta weight. Avoid Stones...

Keep in car with skins on to make a run for it?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Doesn’t the ratio remain the same whether it’s 5 lbs to 1 lb or 5 kg to 1 kg? It’s 5:1, no matter the size of units. 1 kilo on your feet tires you as much as 5 kg on your back. Or if you prefer, 1/2 kilo on your feet is equivalent (in terms of effort) as 2.5 kg on your back.

Where's that dunce cap emoji I should be wearing? I clearly need more sleep... ;)

Sponsor

Staff online