• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any shooters here?

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
AD7B8CD3-B430-43F1-88E5-E21E8EA7C79D.jpeg
230F9E3A-D7CB-4C1A-9541-818D13B1B608.jpeg

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
That’s really great - part of history with a family connection. Love it.

I have my grandfather’s S&W Chief’s special that dates from the early 50s, blued steel and wooden grips. It pretty much lives in the safe, but I do shoot it every once in a while. Love the old stuff, and in my case, a heavy trigger revolver falling on a random empty cylinder will reveal a recoil flinch pretty quick . . . I’ve learned a lot with that gun.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I learned to shoot when I was 12. My dad gave me a 22 Winchester Pump. I was so small, he had to cut down the stock so I could actually hold it. It has stayed with me during my moves, but its been 7 years since I've taken it out. I feel ashamed, I should at least take it out to oil it and clean it.

The only other firearm I have here is a cannon that my dad made in 1976 for the Bicentennial. It shoots a 2 inch lead ball, but I don't recommend it. When we have fired it, its usually just packing, because(depending on the charge) a ball can travel a mile or more.

That being said, its been far too long since I've shot.
I just recently gave my Winchester 1200 (pump) with a full forestock and WinChokes to my nephew, to replace it a Beretta 685 OU.

Still looking for an Itacha Pump or Browning Pump with bottom ejection.
Since I posted this 4 years ago, I have taken the 22 Winchester back to Michigan to let my dad clean it up and give it to one of my nephews.
Its time to pass the torch.
I did keep the cannon and often think about taking it out to one of @Andy Mink's camp outings to shoot it but we'd need some serious amount of precipitation before I can even consider that.

Another gun that I had in my possession that I returned to my family since I don't have children to pass it down to, is my great great grandma Mable's petticote pistol. Interestingly enough the gun is a sentimental value, but the ammo I had for it is worth stupid money.

I did pick up a pellet gun to get critters who tear up our stuff. Its effective. :ogbiggrin:

Last edited:

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
That is really special!

@JeffB nice bump
I’m getting pumped up for fall . . .

Suffice it to say that any SkiTalk posters who find themselves within spitting distance of Atlanta are welcome to reach out and I’ll treat to a proper outing at a place that somehow allowed me to join - 3000 acres of private land, quail and pheasant, sporting clays, 5 stand, pistol and rifle, and about 200 acres of well-managed lakes with the usual Southern freshwater fish available. I can likely rustle up some of the South’s finest brown elixir for refreshment after we put the boom sticks away.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I'll play
This was a great great Uncles 10 gauge Charles Daly goose gun. There are a number of family stories about it and him. The gun is even prettier than these 2 pictures show.
He hunted with it on the Mississippi flyway in the very early 1900's and the Rouge River in the 30's. A Damascus barrel so Wouldn't shoot this thing on a big bet, but golly it's a pretty thing.
Mine are a bit more practical. A personal favorite for target or small varmint is a Browning T-Bolt .22.

Attachments

• 20190525_094649.jpg
    20190525_094649.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190525_094900.jpg
    20190525_094900.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 19

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'll play
This was a great great Uncles 10 gauge Charles Daly goose gun. There are a number of family stories about it and him. The gun is even prettier than these 2 pictures show.
He hunted with it on the Mississippi flyway in the very early 1900's and the Rouge River in the 30's. A Damascus barrel so Wouldn't shoot this thing on a big bet, but golly it's a pretty thing.
Mine are a bit more practical. A personal favorite for target or small varmint is a Browning T-Bolt .22.
I love seeing these family treasures.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier

I had to go back and look up the serial number again and apparently I was off a little. According to Colt it was manufactured in 1918 so its only 103 years old. It's still amazing how well it has stood the test of time.

I'll play

I'd be proud to hang that over the fire place. :)

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
offhand3.jpg

offhand4.jpg

offhand6.jpg

Ok, since I last posted in this thread some things have changed. Since its the end of the season shooting for me its good for a recap. I have gotten better AND CMP allowed scopes in service rifle. 4.5x max. I still dont have the time I need to get better quick, but perseverance has paid off some.
I earned my first leg points this spring. Leg points are needed to become a distinguished marksman. You need 30 points total, and at least a 8 or 10 point leg (called hard legs because you have to earn in the gold or silver point cut off) I got a silver 8 point leg. In a match where there were 85 non distinguished shooters I came in third with a 483-12X out of 500. 95-1x standing at 200yards, 100-3x rapid fire sitting at 200 yards, 94-2x rapid fire prone at 300 yards and 194-6x 600 prone slow fire. Standing for me was great, I am 98-clean sitting mostly anymore. I misread the wind a bit at 300, and dropped a couple at 600 when fatigue set in and I felt the right elbow slip. That means that I can become distinguished and only have to get 6 point bronze legs. Its a good way to go because there are a lot of people who have enough points but missed the hard leg. The only other way to get a hard leg is to earn ANY points at the national matches where the crowd is a bit tougher.

Since then I have been close but no joy. Between work and shtuff I havent made all the matches I could have. A couple of those that I did, I had a rough time at. Didnt do badly, but didnt shoot well. This Sunday I got First Leather at an EIC match. Which is the polite shooters way to say you are the first loser or the first guy under the cut for points. At the Camp Perry nationals I missed the cut by 3 points coming back from throwing away 16 points standing.

Jack Lake

Putting on skis
Skier
Hmm, pretty difficult here at the moment. 223/5556 and 9mm is pretty much unobtanium unless you are prepared to pay 5-10 times whet we were paying a year ago... :huh:
Unbelievable! I reload for about 15 different calibers. Havent purchased components in years because Ive got plenty. Just looked and primers are 8 c a piece.?!?! No way. pricing themselves out of the market. I was picking them up for around 2-3 cents a piece.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Unbelievable! I reload for about 15 different calibers. Havent purchased components in years because Ive got plenty. Just looked and primers are 8 c a piece.?!?! No way. pricing themselves out of the market. I was picking them up for around 2-3 cents a piece.
I don't think they're pricing themselves out. If they were we'd be swimming in components. Crazy prices on components AND factory loads.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Prices of 9mm and 223 have come down.I dont think you will ever see 13 dollar 9mm again. Scrap prices are up, oil is up, inflation is going to hit Jimmy Carters peak or more. Ammo from Russia is now disallowed for import so good by cheapo Wolf which will put pressure on the other brands availability. I have seen 9mm for 20.00/50 115gr cheap stuff. I dont think it will go much lower than that.
Components are hit and miss, mostly miss. The powder I use for service rifle is non existent. The Nosler bullets I use at 2 and 300 yards are mostly in stock and I picked up an extra 1000. The Bergers I like for 600 have been on back order since Mar or Apr. Thankfully the Noslers work OK at 600, the other ones just like me a little more. Might be in my head, but like Dumbledore said. Just because its in your head doesnt mean it isnt real.
The prices on kegs of powder is up at least 20%, I H4895 and Varget are 256 per if it was available.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think I really like this thread. It made me look around for a good photo to add, found this one, my sons first duck, he was excited, 2007...

DSC00842 (2).JPG

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Got a couple of days out at the range doing some action shoots, considering no practice did ok.

Rig. Beretta 92G (converted from FS), action polished, spring kit, upgraded trigger spring, extended mag release and new grips. Work to still be done, adjustable rear sight, possible compensator and mag well relief, mag wt extensions.

One thing I can say about the 92 it is under rated, but it does require a little work to get it to tighten its groups (frame slide interface work).

Fun part is I do my own work (good or bad).

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would love to find primers at $0.08/pc. I just paid twice that (although they are BR primers), and was happy to get them at all. At this point you gotta pay to play. Even at the current high prices, I can still reload cheaper than buying factory new, especially for the larger calibers.
A lot of people have resorted to shooting 22LR...which of course is driving the price of that up.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Brownells' is finally selling the 'What would Stoner Do' 2020 Carbines after many problems with the parts supply chain.
I mostly like the concept of an evolved modern version of the original AR 5.56 carbine.
Here's a quick video with clips of a Stoner interview from 1988 about his gun design

A couple things I'm not crazy about are the very flared mag well and the 'remnants' of the forward assist on the upper.
I do agree that the FA should not be on the gun however. I also very strongly agree the (AR/M4) platform has gotten very heavy. This is a sub 6 pound rig and has been VERY rigorously tested.
Can't have one in my state however. We have 'others' here. :)

WWSD 2020 556 Carbine.jpg

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pretty pricey considering you can buy the complete lower for $250. Better ways to spend your money to make a lightweight AR, IMO

Sponsor

Staff online