• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AQI and Riding

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yup, sad but glad. It would’ve been an interesting experience, for sure but you would’ve been largely stuck inside with me! :P
We'd be going to the movies a lot
I also was thinking of doing this as an indoor activity.
You interested?

One thing about the smoke issues...when we have a clear day we get off our butts and take advantage of it.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Even Squaw is cancelling their outdoor concert and the tram is closed.
The good news is, the temps are cool, which is abnormal for this time of year.

Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 2.04.28 PM.png

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Jilly I’m not going to complain about the heat and humidity anymore this summer. At least we can get outside and do stuff without hacking up a lung.
Every time I get mopy about the smoke I have to remind myself how fortunate I am that...
  • I'm not fighting the fire
  • I haven't had to evacuate
  • I haven't lost my home
  • I haven't had to rehome my pet(s)
  • I haven't had to...(name the real tragedy)

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We'd be going to the movies a lot
I also was thinking of doing this as an indoor activity.
You interested?
Looks like fun; I’ll try it only if there’s a large buffer zone around the target, otherwise I’d be a danger to others. :roflmao:

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Can I bring my own?
From their FAQ
Can I bring my own axe?
We happily provide everyone with their own axe to use during their axe-throwing session. To keep the playing-field fair, we do not permit outside equipment.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is what Peavine looks like with AQI 251
IMG_8094.jpeg
Similar vantage point last night on my way home from the grocery store.
D2ED3D8C-AAB7-4A1E-A4B9-8DA420F5CBB2.JPG

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How does it change with time of day/morning and evening? (given that wind is relatively constant across that time frame).
It depends on the wind intensity and direction.
Its worse this morning than it was yesterday. :(

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
All Washoe County schools are closeed today due to poor AQI, including all after school activities.

I went outside to take a picture of the sunrise this morning and my mouth was immediately dry and chalky feeling. The air is so thick I couldn't see the sun through the smoke and it smelled more like ash than smoke. :(

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I went outside to take a picture of the sunrise this morning and my mouth was immediately dry and chalky feeling. The air is so thick I couldn't see the sun through the smoke and it smelled more like ash than smoke. :(

Are you getting any of the nasal passage/mucous membrane burning like from creosote or uncontrolled diesel fumes?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
our number fluctuate and have been really good over the past few days but typically its like Trish's picture every day. I use the Purpleair maps, with the adjusted EPA numbers (if you use the EPA formula, all will pretty much be the same if the site uses a 1-4 hour average) and plan my bike route accordingly. Some days its a little higher in town but significantly lower going south or west.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I’m sorry guys, but I read these posts and it all seems a bit….dystopian. :(

used as to describe something that is imagined to be suffering or as is actually suffering? Its the new reality of living out here and other areas that are in the jet stream of west coast fires and local fires. Its not changing any time soon.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m sorry guys, but I read these posts and it all seems a bit….dystopian. :(
FWIW it feels that way. Especially as the parent of a kid who is only 14. What the "new normal" is now will be what in 5 years from now? It scares me. (And the smoke has moved in just in time for tennis practice.)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
How many Sq Feet is the living room kitchen area? that would be one unit. Bedroom another unit, the loft is another. You need to consider the height of the ceilings too. you dont want to have to run them on high all the time. Level 2 is probably as loud as most people would want the fans but that's not moving a lot of air. We run our MA112 right next to the main air intake for the Air exchange system, we leave it on Level 3. Ideally, at night when our system goes to a 20 minute intake of outside air per hour and have a few windows open to cool the house down, the unit should be on High. But we have a separate unit in the bedroom even though its open to the main floor below (not truly a loft) that runs on level 2. 24/7.
I wish they'd give cubic feet instead of square feet on the specs. Our living room/dining room is huge square foot wise but it has a 16' ceiling that slopes to normal height at one wall, higher on the others. We have two Winix C545 units that are over-taxed with the volume but they are at least doing something. Between those and a good filter on the return air for the A/C we're staying pretty clean in the house.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What the "new normal" is now will be what in 5 years from now?
There's always a "new normal". Sometimes it's just a bigger jump.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
There's always a "new normal". Sometimes it's just a bigger jump.
No kidding a bigger jump! It seems like we jumped 100 yrs. in the last 10.
I've even seen a change in the flora & fauna, at least in the Sierra. If the mountain ranges of the west burn we will be left with hillsides of white thorn bushes, alaskan fire weed, bunnies, catfish & fat ground squirrels.

Sponsor

Staff online