• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Avalanche Situation

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Avalanche danger in the Alps, yesterday.

That's probably how it is in Utah and colorado now.

Never ski in conditions like this, buried facets under a lot of snow.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Never ski in conditions like this, buried facets under a lot of snow.

Never ski *avalanche terrain* in conditions like this, buried facets under a lot of snow.

Otherwise, no one would ever ski ever in the Colorado backcountry until mid-April.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Never ski *avalanche terrain* in conditions like this, buried facets under a lot of snow.

Otherwise, no one would ever ski ever in the Colorado backcountry until mid-April.
Sure, if you ski 25 degree slopes, but then why bother?

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Because blower pow on 25 degree slopes can be hella fun?

If it's not fun for you -- fine. But the best skier is the one having the most fun and I'm pretty sure I've had a ton of fun on non-avalanche terrain this year.
Ok, i realize that people have different objectives.

And, personally, i prefer medium density powder to blower.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It's been a rough week for the backcountry community. Another fatality, this time on the east coast, this past Tuesday. Experienced Skier Killed in Avalanche in New Hampshire’s Ammonoosuc Ravine (backcountrymagazine.com). They haven't released many details from this accident. The skier was skiing alone, and his friends reported him missing Tuesday night. The rescuers found his car on Wednesday morning at a trailhead, and began searching. They located him late Wednesday afternoon, and was able to recover his body.

Quoted from the Article:
"This is the fifth avalanche fatality in the U.S. in a week, following the deaths on Monday of three experienced skiers in Colorado’s Ophir Pass, and last Saturday’s death of a snowboarder in Utah’s Wasatch Mountains."

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And now that in Northern California near Etna.
Edit:
Add link to story

Last edited by a moderator:

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
The snowpack in Colorado and much of the mountain west is weak and dangerous - today’s forecast is considerable to high, with an Avalanche Warning for the Vail/Summit County, Sawatch, Aspen, and Gunnison zones.

Get the forecast: Colorado.gov/avalanche and stay safe

An informative post from A3

Last edited:

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
A super informative article written by Colin Zacharias. The article shows how using "terrain mindsets" or "rec mindsets" will help you know where not to go.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It has been SO unstable out there. This may go down as a record year for incidents and fatalities. It also seems as if many of the incidents involved experienced BD skiers and mountaineers. Condolences and thoughts for all the victims, their families, friends and the entire alpine community. Props to the forecasters and first responders who take on the risk of rescuing victims and recovering bodies...

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So sad and avoidable - thoughout the western states. More people in the backcountry means a greater need than ever for avalanche education.

Yes but ....

I don't know who these people were today, but all of them in CO (except one, who was mountain savvy but perhaps not snow savvy) were experienced and educated. Then it's a question of decision making, thought processes, etc. Not sure we will ever know exactly, since a few of them were solo, but to me it looks like possibly education was a detriment. ie, they thought they could outsmart the dragon. They had been there many times before, and it worked out. That sort of thing. No judgment here, just trying to figure it out.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Not sure we will ever know exactly, since a few of them were solo, but to me it looks like possibly education was a detriment. ie, they thought they could outsmart the dragon. They had been there many times before, and it worked out. That sort of thing. No judgment here, just trying to figure it out.
I think that there is a certain euphoria about powder skiing that clouds the mind and leads to poor decision making.

I am not a back country skier but I have noticed myself on powder days inbounds in the past often try to squeeze in that extra powder turn in a unskied patch very close to a tree or ditch or do other riskier things. These days I consciously dial things back in the pow and try not to get too wound up.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes but ....

I don't know who these people were today, but all of them in CO (except one, who was mountain savvy but perhaps not snow savvy) were experienced and educated. Then it's a question of decision making, thought processes, etc. Not sure we will ever know exactly, since a few of them were solo, but to me it looks like possibly education was a detriment. ie, they thought they could outsmart the dragon. They had been there many times before, and it worked out. That sort of thing. No judgment here, just trying to figure it out.

Here's some background on the Park City-based skier who died in an avalanche last weekend:

I learned the identity of one of the four who perished in the Alexander Basin area of Millcreek Canyon today a couple hours ago. He's an experienced backcountry skier, as well as an accomplished rock climber and mountain biker. I suspect we'll learn that the other three who didn't survive are equally accomplished and experienced. I'm up in the mountains most days of the week resort skiing and snowboarding. Lots of backcountry trailheads are located along the canyon road on the way to the resorts. On days like today, they are chock-a-block full of vehicles and then some. The Wasatch has received 44" of snow in the last week but the PWL that's plagued the snowpack for many, many weeks remains. The Utah Avalanche Center has been virtually pleading with backcountry enthusiasts on a daily basis to exercise extreme caution but it seems to often be falling on deaf ears. Here's a video from a nearby mountain range (Uintahs) of snowmobilers frolicking in the backcountry today that's illustrative of the danger inherent in the current snowpack:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CK-SnENB...=1u4rxl4ub70tt

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Experience does not always make for the best judgement. The same has been shown in surgery where there is a bimodal distribution of complications. There is the early spike because of the lack of knowledge/experience and then a later spike where the experience makes you think you are smart enough to avoid the complication. I would bet the same is true with backcountry skiing.

Last edited:

Sponsor