• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Beer

slidingmike

Going downhill fast...
Skier
Is "no boil hops" the same as dry hopping?
"No boil hops" could just mean no hops at all... But you can also add hops after the boil is done (in the whirlpool), or during fermentation, or after fermentation. Some people even add them to the kegs. The last 3 options can be considered drop hopping. You can do any and all of these, multiple times, when making beer.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
"No boil hops" could just mean no hops at all... But you can also add hops after the boil is done (in the whirlpool), or during fermentation, or after fermentation. Some people even add them to the kegs. The last 3 options can be considered drop hopping. You can do any and all of these, multiple times, when making beer.
Right. It COULD mean lots of things. I was wondering what that brewery meant by it.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I just had a coffee saison at Henhouse in Petaluma CA. Didn't taste much like beer, but wow was it good!

slidingmike

Going downhill fast...
Skier
Tony S, most likely, they used hops in the whirlpool and then dry hopped once or twice. That's now the primary mode for making hazy IPAs. I still like to add a little boil charge to provide some base bitterness, but it's really small.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
pretty excited, my bro is a beer nut and my kid it hitting college up near Goliath Toppling Brewery.

He's promised to show me the nuances of good beer ...

being in Ia, it's one of the high points of limited venues here

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
pretty excited, my bro is a beer nut and my kid it hitting college up near Goliath Toppling Brewery.

He's promised to show me the nuances of good beer ...

being in Ia, it's one of the high points of limited venues here

1656722136144.png
I couldn't stop myself. :roflmao:

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Chillin with my first beer of vacation as the sun sets on our campsite in Wytheville VA. Tomorrow we are OBX bound for many more beach beers over the next two weeks.
A5C6C645-1D47-4391-AE96-DCC0D26DA4EB.jpeg

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I grabbed a 4 pack of this at Trader Joe's because I thought the can was cool and it was from VT.
Zero Gravity Liquid Hot Magma DIPA
It's OK but I've come to the conclusion that many of the NYC and Long Island breweries have upped their game to the point they are consistently producing a variety of better IPAs and DIPAs than the VT breweries that used to be the standard, IMO. YMMV.
IMG_2377.jpg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I grabbed a 4 pack of this at Trader Joe's because I thought the can was cool and it was from VT.
Zero Gravity Liquid Hot Magma DIPA
It's OK but I've come to the conclusion that many of the NYC and Long Island breweries have upped their game to the point they are consistently producing a variety of better IPAs and DIPAs than the VT breweries that used to be the standard, IMO. YMMV.
View attachment 174267
Looking at the photo I thought it was Squid Shot Magma. Interesting name!

Reactions: Ogg

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Picked up this beer yesterday, mostly for the label. Haven't tried it yet

20220911_065238.jpg

Reactions: nay

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not too shabby. Lots of hops but a rounder, softer side too. Not too fruity but Sierra Nevada says pineapple, grapefruit, orange, and fresh berries. Thankfully none come to the front; they are a supporting roll. It's at 55IBU, so not a weakling but not a hop monster.
20220913_173332.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online