• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best for NE groomer and NE chop

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
What bothers me is that a 0.5 base might not be the best in soft snow
Not that big a deal. If you can handle your big bad WRT whatevers (I don’t speak Stöckli sorry) 0.5 base should be no problem. Handles just fine in soft snow including sliding sideways.

Source: Mike DeSantis and his “you’re going to ski a 0.5 and you’re going to like it or else” service

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tony Storaro ,
I can relate; I hate it when that happens.
Whenever I've been looking forward to arcing some high speed short radius turns on a run and get there only to find it too crowded with slow moving obstacles, I practice my traditional short radius turns, while telling myself it's good practice for mogul skiing.

PS arc-2-arc is not riding the sidecut; you adjust the turn radius (within a range that depends on the ski for any given skier) via adjusting the tipping angle while maintaining balance and a clean turn with clean tracks.

Yeah exactly!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do it often enough and it will become good skiing and you will like it.

Jeez, hopefully not. Skiing in crowds will never ever be a good skiing. Man... I hate other people on the slopes so much... :roflmao: :roflmao:
You might have called yourself Grump but believe me when it comes to crowds I am the Sociopath Misanthrope Supreme! :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin: At least I learned to control it with age and keep my feelings and opinions to myself.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Jeez, hopefully not. Skiing in crowds will never ever be a good skiing. Man... I hate other people on the slopes so much... :roflmao: :roflmao:
You might have called yourself Grump but believe me when it comes to crowds I am the Sociopath Misanthrope Supreme! :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin: At least I learned to control it with age and keep my feelings and opinions to myself.

This crowded thing is all in your mind. Speed control and turn shape is key. Key is being able to flow a klick faster than traffic while still making good turns. It reduces the crowd to one or two immediately in front of you. Find that peace from within.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This crowded thing is all in your mind. Speed control and turn shape is key. Key is being able to flow a klick faster than traffic while still making good turns. It reduces the crowd to one or two immediately in front of you. Find that peace from within.

Lol, I am not disagreeing, I am just thinking about the times when someone skis in perfect flow, not too fast, in full control, thinks he enjoys himself and all of a sudden BAM gets crashed into from behind by a straghtlining intermediate idiot. :roflmao: Snowboarder in most cases.
Did I mention how much I hate other people? Because I do.:ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin:

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Lol, I am not disagreeing, I am just thinking about the times when someone skis in perfect flow, not too fast, in full control, thinks he enjoys himself and all of a sudden BAM gets crashed into from behind by a straghtlining intermediate idiot. :roflmao: Snowboarder in most cases.
Did I mention how much I hate other people? Because I do.:ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin:

That's why one needs to finish the turns. Easier for the eye at the back of the head to function properly. Gotta keep track of all of the idiots. Both in front and behind.
Also my suggestion of skiing a click faster than traffic. Used traffic as screen.

Pole usage is also key in congested situations. When I am skiing a straight line, I discourage close encounters from the rear by holding both poles together high up along the center line of my butt. You'll be surprised how many idiots find enough sense to not become a key component of a trail side shish kabob.

Another novel pole usage is at trail merges. I will often flip and hold the uphill pole like a sword. Pointing that pole uphill will discourage jumpers. Don't know why the idiots like to jump the lip at intersections. But they do. Had more than a dozen abort their jumps once they see the pole tip. They usually will crash and burn when they abort their jump. I will usually ski by and share my favorite Klingon saying, "Today is a good day to die."

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pole usage is also key in congested situations. When I am skiing a straight line, I discourage close encounters from the rear by holding both poles together high up along the center line of my butt. You'll be surprised how many idiots find enough sense to not become a key component of a trail side shish kabob.

Another novel pole usage is at trail merges. I will often flip and hold the uphill pole like a sword. Pointing that pole uphill will discourage jumpers. Don't know why the idiots like to jump the lip at intersections. But they do. Had more than a dozen abort their jumps once they see the pole tip. They usually will crash and burn when they abort their jump. I will usually ski by and share my favorite Klingon saying, "Today is a good day to die."

That's neat! Will try it asap. :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There must be something weird going on with the zodiac or something because I find myself relating to both François and Stöckliaro at the same time.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Then you are just riding the side cut. As in park and ride.

You can ski the ski or the ski can ski you. Your choice.
Baby steps. On some days I'm more than happy to ride the sidecut and just practice simple foot tipping. My two best runs down Superstar this year (on a surprising mid-week day when the Killington rampaging hordes did not descend and the snow was lovely) was top to bottom without stopping just practicing the inner foot tip drill taught at Taos (including completing your turns so you can glance uphill) with no other steering action. I would say the skis and I were in communion and both were having a lovely run. But as you know other days at Killington you need to adjust the turn radius for speed and crowd control. I'm still working on that.

For @GreenAthlete49 do you visit Killington? I am not an advanced skier like most here, but we could swap tips for skiing NE chop. My tendency is to ski through or over it, not around it.

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Baby steps. On some days I'm more than happy to ride the sidecut and just practice simple foot tipping. My two best runs down Superstar this year (on a surprising mid-week day when the Killington rampaging hordes did not descend and the snow was lovely) was top to bottom without stopping just practicing the inner foot tip drill taught at Taos (including completing your turns so you can glance uphill) with no other steering action. I would say the skis and I were in communion and both were having a lovely run. But as you know other days at Killington you need to adjust the turn radius for speed and crowd control. I'm still working on that.

For @GreenAthlete49 do you visit Killington? I am not an advanced skier like most here, but we could swap tips for skiing NE chop. My tendency is to ski through or over it, not around it.
I do, plan on a few days this month or early March. Would love to do that. Never did Super Star (yet).

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I generally agree with this and contrary to his handle @king grump is being very zen. However, achieving this admirable state can be very difficult when skiing on the Mountain of Misfit Toys.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I generally agree with this and contrary to his handle @king grump is being very zen. However, achieving this admirable state can be very difficult when skiing on the Mountain of Misfit Toys.

Don't know about you. Every mountain I have skied can be the Mountain of Misfit Toys. Much depends on perspective.

One of my favorite run out west is Mountain Run (Palisade) at the end of the day. Non stop from the bottom of Siberia. Controlled turns straight down the middle. Using the patrols stationed down the middle of the trail as picks while all hell breaks loose at the trail edges. Converted many to doing the Mountain Run at the end of the day rather than downloading on the Funi.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Don't know about you. Every mountain I have skied can be the Mountain of Misfit Toys. Much depends on perspective.

One of my favorite run out west is Mountain Run (Palisade) at the end of the day. Non stop from the bottom of Siberia. Controlled turns straight down the middle. Using the patrols stationed down the middle of the trail as picks while all hell breaks loose at the trail edges. Converted many to doing the Mountain Run at the end of the day rather than downloading on the Funi.
Waiting for you to start calling me “ grasshopper “ :D
But yes, I appreciate the strategy aspect . I’m not afraid to stop if I have to, pull over and let the crazy go past me. I’ll then look up and try to time my re-entry by judging the number, speed and apparent ability of who is above me.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I do, plan on a few days this month or early March. Would love to do that. Never did Super Star (yet).
Few years back I was hesitant to ski Superstar, but @Wannabeskibum gave me a few tips and helped me down one time, which made me realize I really needed another lesson in short radius turns. An instructor at Killington helped me with that, but the Taos ski week was even better. I keep plugging that Mini-Gathering in hopes of a few perks from @dbostedo.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Few years back I was hesitant to ski Superstar, but @Wannabeskibum gave me a few tips and helped me down one time, which made me realize I really needed another lesson in short radius turns. An instructor at Killington helped me with that, but the Taos ski week was even better. I keep plugging that Mini-Gathering in hopes of a few perks from @dbostedo.
Wow, that seems like ages ago - pre-Covid - and you still remember! I guess it was a memorable experience in a good way!

Sponsor

Staff online