• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Big Bear, Mountain High, Waterman, Baldy meet up thread 20/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
6077A2CD-99E9-47A1-9F23-AADCBD4D25DB.jpeg 9CF8E782-C62A-444F-BD7F-23414F256A31.jpeg
Heading to SV on Friday, the child has the day off and we have SnowJam passes so in before the crowds...?
With Snowjam, you will have to go to guest services to get your lift pass. It is upstairs above the ticket windows. It opens half an hour before the lifts and has the world’s slowest line so get their as close to opening as possible! We are going tomorrow and Thursday with my son’s fiancée and her BFF.

We went to Bear today and the conditions were good. The groomers did a fantastic job and it was not crowded at all. The pics below are from the top of Exibition (Silver). As you can see... we have it all to ourselves- that lasted a good 40 minutes. A few others arrived but it was not busy. GMO was busier.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
What were you wearing and were you with anyone else? The conditions were good considering the temps.
Blue jacket with a beanie. Got there by 8 and skied until 2. Only skied high speed until 10 then skied the right side of West and that half chair to the top. Slow chairs but no crowds. A little too warm but snow was pretty good. Glad I went.

How was your day?

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
Blue jacket with a beanie. Got there by 8 and skied until 2. Only skied high speed until 10 then skied the right side of West and that half chair to the top. Slow chairs but no crowds. A little too warm but snow was pretty good. Glad I went.

How was your day?

Got a late start (2hr drive up) and then had to wait in a serious line for a spot in the men's room (hey McColly, more bathrooms!), didn't hit the slopes until just before 10. The grom wanted to ski a few runs off Coyote before we moved to the Express which we skied the rest of the day. (3:30) All in all, we had a good time the snow wasn't bad, but more of a crowd than I had hoped for... If you see a guy with a red Atomic helmet skiing half-ast, that'll be me ;-)

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Got a late start (2hr drive up) and then had to wait in a serious line for a spot in the men's room (hey McColly, more bathrooms!), didn't hit the slopes until just before 10. The grom wanted to ski a few runs off Coyote before we moved to the Express which we skied the rest of the day. (3:30) All in all, we had a good time the snow wasn't bad, but more of a crowd than I had hoped for... If you see a guy with a red Atomic helmet skiing half-ast, that'll be me ;-)
I was surprised more of crowd than I expected too. I was hoping with super bowl less people would show up but no dice. Overall, a pretty good day. I was surprised there were so many cars pulled over on side of road too. I hate weekends but I can only ta in e so many days off

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Larry same here. Right now weekends are all that I can usually snag since I take the son with me and being retired is not an option ;-) I take what I can get and don't complain, even last month when it snowed on a Saturday (great day for skiing), the 2 was a disaster and it took 2.5 hours just to get out of the lot!

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Larry same here. Right now weekends are all that I can usually snag since I take the son with me and being retired is not an option ;-) I take what I can get and don't complain, even last month when it snowed on a Saturday (great day for skiing), the 2 was a disaster and it took 2.5 hours just to get out of the lot!
I suspect this Monday might be a decent day to go then. Slight chance of 1-2" sunday so it might help slopes slightly. I'm skiing less this year. I'll probably only get 6-7 days in unless I do some Spring Mammoth trips

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
I suspect this Monday might be a decent day to go then. Slight chance of 1-2" sunday so it might help slopes slightly. I'm skiing less this year. I'll probably only get 6-7 days in unless I do some Spring Mammoth trips

I was considering Monday as well since I have that day off. Going to SV on Friday since the grom has it off and I have plenty of time banked plus SnowJam freebie ;-)
We've been going every weekend so far, did a short trip to Brian Head which was really nice (one good snow day).
My season will likely end late March when we have a Georgia trip planned (unless we can stop in Flagstaff or Lee Canyon lol).

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Pat, if I am in the lot is that the building on the right or the left?
As you face the ski slope, it is the building on the right. You drive around to the side and you will see the ticket windows and the stairs going up. Guest services, is at the top of the stairs. We skied there today again with our friends. The conditions stayed really good on the front side most of the day. Don't waste your time going to Slide. It's done. It looks good from the top of lift 1, but don't be fooled. There is really thin cover - a lot of bush branches and rocks peeking out everywhere. On one turn today, I unleashed a little pebble slide. I didn't even see the pebbles under the snow.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Pat AKA mustski regarding parking, I recall that it's a paid situation but you get a voucher for food. Do I have that correct? Is it cash only or is a CC ok?
Tomorrow you should be fine because it’s technically a weekday. If they do charge, you can apply your $10 parking fee towards food or goods within the store. Bring $10 cash in case

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Pat AKA mustski no charge for parking, but had decided to spend money there so I bought lunch ;-)

It was snowing when we arrived, Slide was closed and most everything was on wind hold. By the time we got onto the snow the sun was making a show, but it was still windy and all the runs off the Express were icy, my son wasn't liking it so we spent the morning on #13, after lunch when the snow softened, we spent the rest of the day on the Express, which was a great improvement.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Oof! Inclement weather is hard this season because there is nowhere to hide. I hope your afternoon was worth the trip. I didn’t go out today because a sick dog kept me awake most of the night so I slept in.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Ski week:(

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Pretty fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online