• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Big Bear, Mountain High, Waterman, Baldy meet up thread 20/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe LASD
If you mean school districts - nope. At most they take off Friday and Monday surrounding Presidents' Weekend. Spring breaks are staggered in March and early April. Schools are in session so something else is going on. It's been busier all season this year.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That’s from 2016. There are ski weeks in Northern Cal though and that would have some impact on Mammoth. If you look up the academic calendars fo LAUSD, SDUSD, CUSD, SBUSD, and RUSD... they are all in school this week. That doesn’t stop folks from ditching though.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
That’s from 2016. There are ski weeks in Northern Cal though and that would have some impact on Mammoth. If you look up the academic calendars fo LAUSD, SDUSD, CUSD, SBUSD, and RUSD... they are all in school this week. That doesn’t stop folks from ditching though.
Yep, ski week happens every year at this time.
After "ski week", is usually the start of spring break, though it may be different this year with covid, but I thought ski week would be canceled because of it, but the kids with their parents were deep this week.

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 10.21.13 AM.png

Last edited:
TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep, ski week happens every year at this time.
After "ski week", is usually the start of spring break, though it may be different this year with covid, but I thought ski week would be canceled because of it, but the kids with their parents were deep this week.

View attachment 125014
That’s a group of charter schools in the Bay Area with a total district enrollment of just over 500 students. It doesn’t affect us locally though it may impact Tahoe and possibly Mammoth. All the kiddos we are seeing locally are “ditchers” which is why ski week got started in the first place. High absentee rates the week preceding Thanksgiving and the week following Presidents’ weekend was costing school districts huge $$$. 7 days was Taken from summer vacation and added to Thanksgiving weekend and Presidents’ Day became ski week. I was CTA rep when it all became a huge battle back around 2012-15. Most SoCal districts discontinued ski week due to parent outcry. They wanted the summer vacation days back.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
IDK Pat, you should call BBMR and tell them there is no ski week, They called in a lot of part time instructors this
week to cover the extra crowd for ski week ( I spoke to 3 of them thurs morning at early ups ). Security, Patrol, & parking also think it ski week.
lol...

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My point is that it is not official. Schools are open - parents pull the kids from school. It has been busier weekdays all season this year and this week is busier than usual also. Remote learning is resulting in huge absence rates. The instructors can call it whatever they want but it is not an organized school vacation. As busy as it is this week, I am dreading during spring breaks which are official school closure weeks. Look it up if you don’t believe me. I spent 30 years in public education and 10 years as union rep. I am very familiar with this subject.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok you found one. 1300 total students in the school district. The middle school I taught at has 1400. Laguna Beach unified is also off- enrollment around 3000. To put that in perspective LA unified has an enrollment of 600,000. I still say this year is more crowded overall and it has nothing to do with school holidays.

Last edited:
TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We skied SS on Monday, Bear on Tuesday. And back to SS today. The conditions at Bear are definitely better than Summit. Other than the manly run out at the base, Bear held up really well. We’re hitting Bear again tomorrow.
@pud it was fun meeting you today and taking some runs. Let’s definitely do that again.
@Mothertucker the next time y’all plan a picnic lunch day, let me know so I can pack a lunch and we can plan for it!

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, thanks @MountainMonster & @Pat AKA mustski, I wasn’t trying to start anything I just didn’t know what Ski Week is/was. Good info from ya both!

We’re going to be up at Snow Valley the week of March 8th (our spring break/ski week) but we’ll have the 3 y,o, in tow, so we won’t be doing that much skiing and I don’t even know how many days we’ll actually be on the mtn, compared to just hanging at the cabin or hiking around.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You didn’t start anything ... that’s on me!

where are you staying? If you do decide to ski, let us know!

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You didn’t start anything ... that’s on me!

where are you staying? If you do decide to ski, let us know!
We're staying at an airbnb cabin in running Springs, so pretty close to SV. We'll ski a few days, probably starting on Monday, but I just don’t know for how long each day. I’ll update when I know, prob the day before/of. Once the kid gets tired we’ll probably just have to leave since there’s no hanging out inside.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Mothertucker Yup. Bear is our plan also. Are you planning on picnicking again?

@Larry the conditions stayed firm today. We left right around noon and it was still good solid groomer skiing. We will ski Friday but Thursday I go to a women's bible study. Bob would be up for skiing if you go Thursday though, so let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor