• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bike Lights for Night Riding

TS
fosphenytoin

fosphenytoin

Putting on skis
Skier
How are your lights working out?
That was some baller light! Can see much brighter and farther in dark. Only petite problem, can't get the clamp tightly gripped to the handle bar, sometime I need to "adjust" the angle if I hit a pot hole or bump. I haven't gotten any complains from drivers yet.
I use it early mornings (around 5 am) when I ride my bike to the boathouse for rowing practice. I got it pre-owned and it is money well spent.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
That was some baller light! Can see much brighter and farther in dark. Only petite problem, can't get the clamp tightly gripped to the handle bar, sometime I need to "adjust" the angle if I hit a pot hole or bump. I haven't gotten any complains from drivers yet.

Ah. Screw clamp or elastic? The light should have come with little plastic or rubber shims; for tiny tweaks I just use tape under the clamp.

TS
fosphenytoin

fosphenytoin

Putting on skis
Skier
It is a screw clamp and it did not have rubber shims came with it, likely because I got it pre-owned and there are missing parts...
So I just used some thin foam to pad it up, then elastic bands wrap around to secure in place.
Looks "getto" I know, but as long as it works... who cares...

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did someone already mention Specialized Flux 1250? Seriously good stuff.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Personally, I prefer a helmet light over a handlebar light for a couple of reasons.
  1. I can shine the light where I want to go
  2. I can look around, more periferral and fore/aft
  3. I can look at cars, specifically the driver, to make sure they see me.
  4. the light becomes more multi use, around the house and even hiking.
  5. Handlebar light can be added too.
I always do both. A NR Lumina 1200 Boost on the helmet and a NR 650 on the bars.
Best of both worlds! What you don't see can hurt you. (like skiing moguls in dead flat light)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
29ish - cracked right at all the edges of the clear plastic the moment I turned it on.

That makes 3 lights down in winter weather this year- one lens, one charging circuit, one main power switch.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
29ish - cracked right at all the edges of the clear plastic the moment I turned it on.

That makes 3 lights down in winter weather this year- one lens, one charging circuit, one main power switch.
Dude, you need to move to coastal California. I don't ride below 40. And I ride all year.

EDIT: I also don't ride above 90. Rarely above 80.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Dude, you need to move to coastal California. I don't ride below 40. And I ride all year.

*grin* or can I just cut an old goggle lens to shape and silicone it onto the shards of the old one...

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider

See, that's the thing, I don't want to ride all year (or ski all year). I like the break from activities and then do other things. It keeps me from burning out and I look forward to the next season.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
See, that's the thing, I don't want to ride all year (or ski all year). I like the break from activities and then do other things.

That said, who hasn't dreamed of a year of endless winter? :ogbiggrin:
I even have it planned month by month.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Yep. That's the sweet spot- from 4C to about 28C. Below and above that is a bit suboptimal. Doable but not much fun.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
*wakes up from dream of endless St. Tropez summer*

Sorry, wot?

Hehe, endless summer would be for the next year. But not in Europe, no. Much more interesting places in the world-Bahamas, Cuba, Belize, Alphonse Island, Christmas Island, Maldives...can you guess the common thing between these? :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:
Starts with "fly" and ends with "fishing":roflmao::roflmao:

Some day.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Thanks for the clarification! You do mean what you say...... :eek:
I don't think I have ever seen a fish lines on that trail.

In today's news - fishing line ALL OVER Accotink. I mean come ON people the MTB trails are like 300 feet above the lake can you at least NOT leave your line snarl balls in the greenery?

Took 30 mins to get it out of herself's RD. Fortunately she has new knee pads. Also fortunately, she was not riding at dusk.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
In today's news - fishing line ALL OVER Accotink. I mean come ON people the MTB trails are like 300 feet above the lake can you at least NOT leave your line snarl balls in the greenery?

Took 30 mins to get it out of herself's RD. Fortunately she has new knee pads. Also fortunately, she was not riding at dusk.
BOOO

Sponsor

Staff online