• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blossom fans

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you get them and if yes are you mounting them on "the line". I have SpeedComs on "the line" (AM77, No1 RC) and have never felt like they needed to be moved even though I can easily. My wife likes her Crosswinds 172 at +1 (also SpeedComs) but sizing-wise, they're bigger than she's used to (she stole them from me)(I bought the without telling her)(She won't ever give them back).

Darn near ready to purchase, but wanting to know where "the line" is with regard to the ski's center.

Two weeks after first asking, it's starting to seem like it's a closely-guarded state secret.....:huh:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Darn near ready to purchase, but wanting to know where "the line" is with regard to the ski's center.

Two weeks after first asking, it's starting to seem like it's a closely-guarded state secret.....:huh:
No secret, just not many in the wild. I am not sure why it matters at this point. It will be what it is, and you can always adjust once you see it in person.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No secret, just not many in the wild. I am not sure why it matters at this point. It will be what it is, and you can always adjust once you see it in person.

Mike got back to me, and it looks like it's -9 ish.

Why it matters to me is that I wanted to know the ski designer's intent, that's all.

Triplet

Chasing the perfect fit, ENTP :)
Skier
@Tony S, compared to other FIS SLs how do you rank the Blossom, I know you've skied those :) also, have you been on the No. SL @Ron is really praising those.
I've been on Laser SC 170 and find them good but soft when you really push with speed.
Just for information 5' 9'', 135lbs.

Triplet

Skier
@Premier Skis, what's the construction difference between the FIS and No.1 SL version :)

I also really liked the edge thickness of the N1 SL, I didn't measured it but it's above 1.5mm for sure, maybe closer to 2mm

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tony S, compared to other FIS SLs how do you rank the Blossom, I know you've skied those :) also, have you been on the No. SL @Ron is really praising those.
I've been on Laser SC 170 and find them good but soft when you really push with speed.
Just for information 5' 9'', 135lbs.
I wish I could give you a convincing response here but I haven't been on enough of the recent crop of SLs to be able to report responsibly on a first hand basis.

Are you planning to race, or are you looking for a race ski for free skiing? (My SL race experience is close to non-existent, so I absolutely cannot advise you there.)

It happens that of the people I know personally who ski FIS SLs - and who also actually know how to arc a string of clean high-energy tight-radius turns - most are on Atomics or Rossis. This is almost certainly meaningless, since obviously Fischer, for example, can make a great race ski. But it does illustrate that ambitious civilian non-racers find those skis satisfying.

I've been on several versions of the Volkl but none newer than about 2015. I liked them a whole lot for their friendly snap and intuitive feel. If I were starting from scratch these would be first on my demo list. (Well, maybe after Stockli, but only based on hearsay, not on direct knowledge.)

Never been on the Rossi FIS SL but I always like the snow feel of Rossi race skis, and have a pair of their GS boards. FWIW those have superb bases but really thin edges.

I have about one run on each of two Augments, neither of which spoke to me. I acknowledge I'm in the minority there.

The things I like about the Blossom are the durable topsheets, excellent quiet edge hold, and high level of predictability. Honestly the reason I'm on that brand is mostly that I got a good deal on them - which is a perfectly good reason, IMHO. I do still have trouble getting the bases to hold wax, however.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Triplet

Skier
I wish I could give you a convincing response here but I haven't been on enough of the recent crop of SLs to be able to report responsibly on a first hand basis.

Are you planning to race, or are you looking for a race ski for free skiing? (My SL race experience is close to non-existent, so I absolutely cannot advise you there.)

It happens that of the people I know personally who ski FIS SLs - and who also actually know how to arc a string of clean high-energy tight-radius turns - most are on Atomics or Rossis. This is almost certainly meaningless, since obviously Fischer, for example, can make a great race ski. But it does illustrate that ambitious civilian non-racers find those skis satisfying.

I've been on several versions of the Volkl but none newer than about 2015. I liked them a whole lot for their friendly snap and intuitive feel. If I were starting from scratch these would be first on my demo list. (Well, maybe after Stockli, but only based on hearsay, not on direct knowledge.)

Never been on the Rossi FIS SL but I always like the snow feel of Rossi race skis, and have a pair of their GS boards. FWIW those have superb bases but really thin edges.

I have about one run on each of two Augments, neither of which spoke to me. I acknowledge I'm in the minority there.

The things I like about the Blossom are the durable topsheets, excellent quiet edge hold, and high level of predictability. Honestly the reason I'm on that brand is mostly that I got a good deal on them - which is a perfectly good reason, IMHO. I do still have trouble getting the bases to hold wax, however.
No racing background, no intention to race, just free skiing

those have superb bases but really thin edges
I've seen Junior GS skis from them, Völkl as well... Pretty thin indeed

Last edited:

Triplet

Skier
Great deal, but i am on the other side of the big Blue, pfff

Premier Skis

Distributor of Lusti skis
SkiTalk Sponsor
@Premier Skis, what's the construction difference between the FIS and No.1 SL version :)

Quite a bit of difference between the FIS SL and the No.1 SL, but here are the primary differences:
  1. Like all FIS skis, the dimensions and turn radius is determined by FIS regulations. However, like most non-FIS skis, the No.1 SL has much more shape to it, with a wider tip and tail.
  2. The FIS SL is built with materials designed for FIS racing, resulting in a ski that is considerably stiffer both longitudinally and in torsional flex. The No.1 SL on the other hand, has a construction similar to Blossom's other carving skis (No.1 GS, RC, etc.).
On snow, the No.1 SL is a much more user-friendly ski for someone who likes making short-radius turns on firm to hard snow, but also wants a bit more versatility. The FIS ski rocks on hard snow and will grip like crazy.

Hope this helps.
Mike

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone ride the No.1 RC mounted flat? Curious if a plate is required. Anyone get to flex and weigh an XC in the wild yet?

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm an older (much?) skier, and not especially skilled, but last season was my first to own and ski on a Blossom FIS SL. It became the ski I took out most often in my 111 days skiing at Crested Butte. That says as much about the snow conditions as it does the skis, but still shows they can be an every day ski. The other skis I used were an old pair of Wagners for powder days, a pair of Blossom White Outs for in-between days, and a pair of Blizzard Firebird SLCs* when I felt like it. The point of this post is: Do not fear the Blossom FIS SL, it's can be a fine every day ski.

*Some days you just need to be on a red ski.

Belichick

Booting up
Skier
I ski the AM77 in 170cm and also the No1 RC in 170cm. Both skis have 14m radius and I'd say both skis do the short to medium turn (my default for fun times) very well. I don't feel locked into a 14m radius on either ski; I could go a little tighter or open it up a little more and ride out some medium-long turns. I think the No1 RC does the longer turns a little better. There is definitely some overlap with turn radius but the feel is different. The AM77 is easier to initiate turns and the ski is more forgiving; I can get lazy and the ski can make up for it by doing the work. The RC has more top end and likes to be worked.

One last comment; I love my AM77 and it's everything I thought it would be based on all the hype. But, I love, love my No1 RC because I feel it's more rewarding when I'm on my game.
Also, I'm 5'7" 175 lbs with gear so that's why 170cm for me.
Your comments are very helpful to me as I am close to pulling the trigger on my first pair of Blossoms and an on the fence between the AM77 and No. 1 RC. I am looking at this ski to fill the need for an east coast front side ski. Versatility and playfulness are definitely welcome, but I am looking for something that gives me a reason to leave my Enforcer 100s in the closet what there isn't a lot of fresh snow, heavy crud or I am headed into the backcountry. Ideally, I would have ripped this ski yesterday while chasing my kids down groomers on Mt. Mansfield with few people on the mountain. These skis will be my primary carvers, but I'd like to be able to handle what comes (death cookies, boilerplate, bumps).

How would you compare the skis in terms of confidence at speed. What about hard snow, ice grip?

I am 5'11', 190 and am looking at the 176 length.

Yes, the Speedcoms are currently GW and the Speedlocks will be for this season.
This is helpful as Gripwalk compatibility is not addressed on the Premier Skis website (or I missed it). Do you know if GW was confirmed for the Speedlock this season? Reading the various reviews on this site it seems like anyone who has used both bindings feels the Speedlocks are a step up. Are there any advantages to the Speedcoms other than less weight?

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
@Belichick
I'm about your size, own the No. 1 RC, and, for years skied the Blossom predecessor to the AM 77, both in 170 cm. While the common wisdom is that bigger skiers like you and I should be on 176, I found the 176 length Blossoms to want higher speeds, more aggressive skiing than I prefer. Factor your personal style preference into your decision. Agree that the No. 1 RC does need more attention to ski well, it is well matched for my smaller mountain, hard snow Pocono skiing. My thinking is that if you want versatility, the the AM 77 would be a better ski, shorter version is better in eastern bumps. I took my Blossom made 78 waist ski out west many times, they shined when there was not new snow. I'm not a fan of 100 mm skis, the transition to AM 77 should be a little easier.

I have the Speedcom binding, very pleased with it's performance. My thinking is similar to the reasons why a 177 or 170 would be a better ski for an individual. If you rip on skis, then consider the Speedock system, I've never needed a binding with a din above the standard 12.

My vote would be the AM 77.

Belichick

Booting up
Skier
I'm about your size, own the No. 1 RC, and, for years skied the Blossom predecessor to the AM 77, both in 170 cm. While the common wisdom is that bigger skiers like you and I should be on 176, I found the 176 length Blossoms to want higher speeds, more aggressive skiing than I prefer. Factor your personal style preference into your decision.
Thanks! This is all very helpful food for thought. I really appreciate the firsthand perspective.

Interesting thoughts on the sizing. I'm trying to ignore preconceptions with these skis, but it's difficult to peg as I have never skied one and can't demo. One more variable to consider, but I do tend to ski fast.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Speedcom is GW compatible, Speedlock is not.

You could also order the skis flat and put whatever GW compatible binding you prefer.

Sponsor