• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blossom fans

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There is so little information out there on the XC. I appreciated your previous initial impressions of this ski. Any comments on the XC you would be willing to share since your Jan 2 post? I am nearing a decision on a frontside ski and would greatly appreciate any insights.
An indirect observation: I've been almost exclusively skiing the Ogasaka TC-SU in 170, which has a far more substantial mid body compared to the XCs. Even without the plate the Ogasaka's are a lot stiffer under foot, but with softer tips, whereas the XCs have a smooth, continuous flex throughout the length. Not surprisingly the Ogasaka's hold an edge better -- I've had a few instances of loss of outside ski hold on the XCs in a hard turn, none with the Ogasaka's. Both skis are a lot of fun in bumps when the snow's good. But the Ogasaka's are lighter and with their nonlinear flex, I find they tend to get thrown around in firm bumps with crud. The XCs are heavier and have better suspension and ski better in these rough conditions, at least for me. In the RC thread I mentioned how the XCs bumped up the fun level compared to my wider skis when a powder day turned to Cascade concrete. The same is true for colder, firmer conditions: bumps + semi-frozen crud chunks.

Another indirect observation: My son and I were at Whistler the other week skiing on firm ice -- temps were down to 5 f in the morning -- he was on his RCs (165) and I had my TC-SUs (170). We swapped for a run and I immediately noticed the tails on the RCs were "soft" relative to the TC-SUs, so I would conclude if it was down to RC vs XC for that day in Whistler, I'd prefer the XCs.

Yet another indirect observation: I like skiing the Head eRace Pros (180) in bumps and steeps on low snow, soft snow days. The length and the flex work well for me. I suspect the XCs in a 181 would be just as good, maybe better.

XC vs TC-SU profiles at the midline:

IMG_1010.jpg

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
-- I've had a few instances of loss of outside ski hold on the XCs in a hard turn, none with the Ogasaka's.
Don't love hearing this. This is how I've felt with my contrast between my Renoun Atlas 80's against my Stockli Laser AR's. For whatever reason, the Renouns (even with a fresh tune) don't feel as reliable on holding the outside edge as the Stockli's.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't love hearing this. This is how I've felt with my contrast between my Renoun Atlas 80's against my Stockli Laser AR's. For whatever reason, the Renouns (even with a fresh tune) don't feel as reliable on holding the outside edge as the Stockli's.
If it makes you feel any better, I get the same ocasional edge loss on eRace Pros, which often get compared to Stockli WRTs. The fact of the matter is these are not race skis and don't flex like them. The Ogasakas are probably more similar to an FIS SL than other skis in my quiver.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is there anyway to demo Blossom's yet? I literally cannot afford all the skis I have an appetite for anymore and I'd love to try out the XC's and the AM77's.
I have 3 different Blossoms, bought over three seasons. First purchase was a pair of 77mm waist White Outs (now superseded by AM77s?), then a pair of 66mm waist FIS SLs, and finally for this season a pair of 99mm waist Pure 99s. Didn't demo any of them as demos were not available. Took a chance on the White Outs and they turned out to be dandy skis, so didn't think buying the two other Blossom models was much of a risk. All are high quality build skis and do for me what I hoped they would. I get to ski most days and rotate the Blossoms depending on the snow conditions. So in my opinion, based on my experience as an "adequate" skier buying a pair of Blossoms without being able to demo the skis isn't taking much of a chance. All of the skis have Vist bindings, though the bindings on the White Outs are labeled Blossom. The bindings were all mounted at Prestige by Mike or Steve.

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
My suggestion would be getting either the AM77 or the N1 RC as your first pair of Blossom. They are the more popular and versatile models. The change that you like them is very high. Even if you end up not liking them, these models are easier to resale (also get the VIST plates and bindings to fit any sole length).

Is there anyway to demo Blossom's yet? I literally cannot afford all the skis I have an appetite for anymore and I'd love to try out the XC's and the AM77's.

Belichick

Booting up
Skier
Not surprisingly the Ogasaka's hold an edge better -- I've had a few instances of loss of outside ski hold on the XCs in a hard turn.
Thanks for all this insight. It is very helpful for me. if it fair to assume this is a case of unbelievable edge hold vs excellent edge hold? I will be using this ski mainly as an east coast front side ski, including for harder days.

My suggestion would be getting either the AM77 or the N1 RC as your first pair of Blossom. They are the more popular and versatile models.
As a Blossom newb, I started exploring the AM77 initially, but it seems like that might not be quite enough ski for me. My focus shifted to the RC, and now I am wondering about the XC. Count me as someone who would really benefit from demoing these skis, and having more objective reviews available online.

I am very interested in the Blossoms, but them I demoed some Stockli Montero AXs and WRT recently that really spoke to me. Those are known quantities. The WRT is one of the most incredible carving skis I'ver ridden. However, not quite versatile enough beyond that. The AXs seemed to check all the boxes, though I didn't get to ski them in very icy conditions. I had some reservations about how they'd do at speed, but I thought they were rock solid (178 length). My one reservation is that I think the AXs are pretty ugly (I know it's not supposed to matter but it does to me).

Last edited:

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you’re looking for a hard snow ski I’d look more towards the XC. From what I’m hearing they are a little stiffer. For all around East Coast all mountain the AM77 is hard to beat unless it’s well….. hard. This year has been a tough “hard” year on the east coast but on a normal year they are probably perfect.

I’ve skied them even though I should have skied something a little more stout and they are fine, you’re not gonna carve steeps till you get down to a manageable grade and they do carve well.

May have to pony up for either the XCs or No.1 SL s next season depending on the scuttle butt.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The WRT is one of the most incredible carving skis I'ver ridden. However, not quite versatile enough beyond that. The AXs seemed to check all the boxes, though I didn't get to ski them in very icy conditions. I had some reservations about how they'd do at speed, but I thought they were rock solid (178 length). My one reservation is that I think the AXs are pretty ugly (I know it's not supposed to matter but it does to me).

They are. The Montero AX. Ugly. Uninspiring. Dull. Unpleasant to look at. Not invoking any emotion other than mild disgust.

Stockli should have never ever moved from this perfection:

1675977633299.jpeg

This was the best AX ever and it all went downhill from there.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As a Blossom newb, I started exploring the AM77 initially, but it seems like that might not be quite enough ski for me.
If the AM77 isn't enough ...the Lusti PC77 is the step up, shape is 1mm diff in the tip and tail but a stronger construction. Also, if you want more poser on any of them, the Vist Speedlock plate is the way to go.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
They are. The Montero AX. Ugly. Uninspiring. Dull. Unpleasant to look at. Not invoking any emotion other than mild disgust.

Stockli should have never ever moved from this perfection:

View attachment 191960

This was the best AX ever and it all went downhill from there.
Gross dude, barf. You're all crazy, the Montero topsheets are beautiful!

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have 3 different Blossoms, bought over three seasons. First purchase was a pair of 77mm waist White Outs (now superseded by AM77s?), then a pair of 66mm waist FIS SLs, and finally for this season a pair of 99mm waist Pure 99s. Didn't demo any of them as demos were not available. Took a chance on the White Outs and they turned out to be dandy skis, so didn't think buying the two other Blossom models was much of a risk. All are high quality build skis and do for me what I hoped they would. I get to ski most days and rotate the Blossoms depending on the snow conditions. So in my opinion, based on my experience as an "adequate" skier buying a pair of Blossoms without being able to demo the skis isn't taking much of a chance. All of the skis have Vist bindings, though the bindings on the White Outs are labeled Blossom. The bindings were all mounted at Prestige by Mike or Steve.

I also have the AM77s and Namastes (now called the Pure 99). Love them both. My AM77s have Pivots on them. I had another pair (Vist Crossover IIs, which were made by Blossom and very similar to the AM77) with Vist bindings and they were also fantastic. As a lighter person, I would love to round out the quiver with the No. 1 SC.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Also, if you want more poser on any of them, the Vist Speedlock plate is the way to go.

I don't think anyone could do with more poser on anything.

But a plate provides more power or less power? Tyrolia RP-WCR-14 plate with FreeFlex bindings lessens "power" on eRace Pro. Who knew?

puptwin

good ideas, poorly executed
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you’re looking for a hard snow ski I’d look more towards the XC. From what I’m hearing they are a little stiffer. For all around East Coast all mountain the AM77 is hard to beat unless it’s well….. hard. This year has been a tough “hard” year on the east coast but on a normal year they are probably perfect.

I’ve skied them even though I should have skied something a little more stout and they are fine, you’re not gonna carve steeps till you get down to a manageable grade and they do carve well.

May have to pony up for either the XCs or No.1 SL s next season depending on the scuttle butt.
I agree. I love the AM77's versatility, performance, and forgiveness. Skied Loon yesterday where there was a thin layer of snow, just enough to get an edge set, and they performed so well. My next ski will be a narrower Blossom, just trying to figure out which one.

Sponsor

Staff online