• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Booting up in the Parking Lot?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I use my car's back seat floor mats to stand on when I need to boot up at the car. This year, I'm only booting up at the ski area on powder days. I'll arrive before everyone, pay for parking and wait in my truck (in the new shell with folding seats for comfort) for the gondola to start queuing up and get in line. It'll take more time out of my day, but it is what it is.
I was typing my post and I got the message that someone had posted. I think we may have mentioned a few years ago in some other thread that we use the mat from the back seat of our vehicles.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I was typing my post and I got the message that someone had posted. I think we may have mentioned a few years ago in some other thread that we use the mat from the back seat of our vehicles.
I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it, too. Most vehicles have them so they are always there.

This is one guy's solution to an outdoor seat.

1606158538470.png

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Keep your boot warm while driving to the mountain, I got a heated boot bag last year so I keep it plugged in while driving. I hate using mat because it gets nasty quick, especially if you are in the North East with mud, ice/water, sand, gravel and rock. I have one of those trunk trays (the size of school lunch tray), not too big, but big enough to stand in but stiff and small enough that when you pick it up, it doesn't collapse so you can just pour out the ice, water, dirt, etc at the lot. For my 6 year old, I have a milk crate for her to sit on while her boots are in the tray. I'm gonna buy traction device for my daughter and me. Icy parking lots are gonna cause a lot of problems for younger and older folks.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I hear you on the gunk. What I do like about the truck mat is that it is spiked on the bottom and is less prone to slip on icy parking lots. If it got messy, I just tossed it in the truck bed. Not so easy if you have a car.

My new truck shell, will alleviate that problem as I'll be in the back of the truck, under cover and sitting on either bins or chairs. Getting front row parking, then front row gondola ride will be expensive, but given that our bus system is going to be overwhelmed with reduced capacity and fewer buses, it will be worth it.

IMG_1837.JPG

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
^^^That's gonna leave a mark entering the parking deck and drive thrus.
:doh:

Not when it's like this:
IMG_1832.JPG
Around these parts I'm not parking in garages, other than my own which has an 8' door opening. I haven't done a super accurate measure of its height but it comes in under 7' (82") which I understand is pretty much GTG in most parking structures.

Last edited:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
45939c5e-1907-4eb1-a8ef-7f6ea0b07f07

https://www.rei.com/product/891155/dryguy-travel-dry-dx-boot-dryer?sku=8911550001&store=22&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|21700000001700551_8911550001|92700057782325975|NB|71700000074093097&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIndGR37CZ7QIVOCCtBh1djQPxEAQYBCABEgLhE_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Have had one of these 13 watt low power AC boot driers a few years now. They will not warm up a cold pair of boots or wet gloves quickly, especially boots that have been left in a vehicle overnight in frigid weather. Instead at lodging one leaves them running in boots a few hours to dry out. Next morning I run the drier in my Forester via a modest dc to ac inverter. When I move my boots to my car enroute to a resort, they will be in a boot bag so just push the driers in each boot and with the bag closed to limit cold air in the car, there is enough heat to keep the boots in the enclosed bag at a reasonable temperature.

Since my first day skiing this winter will be tomorrow at Heavenly, I just got all my ger together, ready to go tomorrow dawn, then did an ops check getting into the boots then stepping into my ski/bindings on the floor.

My 2012 Lange RS110 SC boots are not easy to get my feet into though a trivial task. I always do so at my Forester in the driver's seat by placing a small rectangle of cheap blue reinforced plastic outside the door. Every ski boot model will be different so each individual needs to figure out how to do so. In my model's case the key is while the boot sole is on the plastic to with force using my hands to spread apart the two separate plastic sections above the foot bridge then push my foot down into the boot that is against the ground so by standing I can apply more force to do so. Also a struggle haha to get out of them. On storm days with heavy snow falling, yes there is a short window with door open when a bit of snow will fly into the car.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it, too. Most vehicles have them so they are always there.

This is one guy's solution to an outdoor seat.

View attachment 115731
Good idea but it looks like you could make one yourself for a lot less than$100.00.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
There are many ways to get into your boots. Getting out of them on a cold day by the car remains to be seen.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Start with warm boots. The new plastic 'boot horn' helps and should really help with kids in a parking lot.

I keep 2 or 3 dollar store throw rugs in the vehicle as well for standing on while changing or booting up, work well for traction devices if somebody's car is stuck. Easy to wash and if you loose one you aren't out much. Would also be good for you getting down on the parking lot to do kids boots.

After that it is just a slog to the lifts. If I had kids would pay to park closer. You will work it out, we all did.
20201123_120326.jpg

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Good idea but it looks like you could make one yourself for a lot less than$100.00.

If someone made one for two people side-by-side, that tilted up while driving, I'd buy it.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Too bad no HD near me has any in stock.

They do have those near me and that's a great price, 20" is a little higher than the ideal height I'd want to boot up in.

Sponsor

Staff online