• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If you change your mind about the RX130s and are still in the market, check out the Roxa R3 130 T.I. I haven't toured in it (I do have a pass for getting up the hill :ogbiggrin: ) but it goes downhill quite well, IMO. I think I'm a bit heavy for it at around 220# but for a lighter skier it might be the ticket. It does have walk mode and grip walk, and the pair I've been using has the Intuition Freeride liner, though you can also get the Intuition Freeski Wrap liner. It is quite a bit lighter than the Cochise at 1520 grams for a 26.5. I usually use a 27.5 shell but skied this in the 26.5 with a few bumps and stretches. Is it as precise as my Raptor 140s? No. But there are positive tradeoffs too.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve decided for sure on the short fit and 28.5.

Who has real first hand experience with the RX and XT Free? Is there a noticeable performance difference? I ski fairly hard. But also am a big dude at 6’4ish and 210 lbs.

Will I regret the XT Free if I don’t end up touring much, if ever?

TS
bremmick

bremmick

Booting up
Skier
I can‘t compare it to any of those, since I haven’t skied them. I had an older lower level Lange boot and a before this.
i would say, it seems pretty similar. It’s still PU shell, just like an regular Alpine boot. It’s still fairly standard shell design. Of course, it's not the stiffest, nor is it the narrowest last, so if you want or need those things, look elsewhere. But, comparing to a regular alpine boot, I don’t feel any movement in the cuff from walk mode, although I am sure there is something going on there, and a true high performance boot without walk mode will be more direct and more precise.

I haven’t skied the Lange XT Free, so can't say for sure, but really, I’d bet they’d be pretty similar. You‘re mostly looking at different fit, and only after that, since they are both overlap shells with heel mounted walk mode, only then you start getting into different flex characteristics of different plastics,and that’s pretty hard to tell without A/B in the same day. Blister review might offer some comparisons.

My guess is, if you are skiing slalom skis, or something similar, where you want a very stiff, very precise boot, stick with the high end Alpine boots without walk mode.
For my skiing, moderate speed, not driving the ski’s very hard, using very ‘loose’ skis, I don't think there is a difference between the Cochise and other Alpine boots without the walk mode.
At my shop, one of the ski buyers uses the Cochise 130 as his ’freeskiing’ boot, whenever he is not race(training).

Yeah. For reference I’m skiing more freerider oriented skis....currently 4Frnt MSP 99, Enforcer 110’s and Blizzard Spurs. These are not slalom skis.

I want an stuff and accurate boot. For what I’m skiing which is all mountain skiing. I’m laying down super G turns at the moment.

For reference...my current boot is Salomon QST Pro 120....at 1650 shell weight is about 300 grams lighter than the Cochise 130 and 450 grams than the RX130.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I want an stiff and accurate boot.
For reference...my current boot is Salomon QST Pro 120..

hmmm, then I don’t understand, QST pro is very similar to the Cochise and Lange XT free. Why switch?
I thought you were coming f some low end 100 flex boot without tech fittings and walk mode, and now wanted to get something with tech fittings and a walk mode, in case you wanted to try some touring, but your QST’s already have that.

If you feel your QST 120’s are not stiff enough, I wouldn’t count on a ‘130’ flex boot from another brand being much better, especially one with a walk mode.

I’d say, if the QST 120’s are not offering enough stiffness and precision for you, just get a very high performance inbounds boot, and use your QST to try out touring. If you like it, then you can decide what kind of true touring boot you would want In the future.

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
FWIW, the current Lange XT's are very soft flexing compared to almost anything on the boot wall with a similar number printed on the box.

One question for the OP, why a 5mm fit for a touring boot?

TS
bremmick

bremmick

Booting up
Skier
FWIW, the current Lange XT's are very soft flexing compared to almost anything on the boot wall with a similar number printed on the box.

One question for the OP, why a 5mm fit for a touring boot?

Not sure overall on the fit. 28.5 feels tight out of the box. But not painful tight. And eased when flexed. 29.5 feels comfy right out the gate. Worried if they will pack out too much.

QST’s are lightweight. Also, the fit is long. In the 29.5 flat standing my toes are off the front.

TS
bremmick

bremmick

Booting up
Skier
I’m about 14-16mm in the 29.5. So take 10 off that’s puts me at 4-6mm for the 28.5. It’s either comfy or tight.

Worst case my thoughts are it’s a little easier to stretch or punch than tighten. Maybe I’m off there.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Any input on Atomic's "Grip-Walk" Hawx XTD 130's liner update for 2019/2020?
Shell got heavier, liner got a lot lighter. They made the 120 the more resort friendly brother with the liner on it.
...another glowing review:

☆☆☆☆☆ 1 out of 5 stars.
Ryan
· 3 days ago

Poor construction and quality control

I've skied on these boots (2019-20 model) for about 3 months with around 15-20 days on them and I've already had several extremely problematic issues. My second day using them I had the top most buckle break midday. Causing me to have to end my day early, and unable to ski only days after buying my new boots. Then... right before my last day out, the tongue of one of the liners completed disconnected from the rest of the liner due to poor stitching and a weak hold. Now after less than 20 days on my new boots I am left without boots in the middle of the ski season! I find out Atomic’s warranty process will take 4-6 weeks this time of the year, when I have several ski trips already paid and booked for the next several weekends. Not only will this ridiculously long process require me to not have boots for this time frame, but Atomic customer service said they would not reimburse me to buy new liners or for any rental fees since I would either have to buy new boots/liners or rent boots on my upcoming ski trips. I’m beyond disappointed that Atomic handles these situations so poorly and I am basically left without ski boots, at the heart of ski season, for 4-6 weeks. This is not the first issue I have had with my Atomic boots. The buckle broke, the strap's velcro is slowly pulling off from the strap, the strap’s stitching is slowly falling off, a pull tab on the walk mode fell off, the buckles tend to pop open, the liner broke, and several other smaller issues. This could be a defective boot, but regardless, with all the troubles I have had, and currently being out of a new boot in the middle of ski season, I would NOT recommend these boots.

✘ No, I don't recommend this product.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ll be grabbing a pair of the RX130’s.

Love mine. With a small caveat. See below.

Truth. At least they are significantly softer than my Raptor 140s in the 130 mode.

The addition of a high density Intuition liner (that I already owned) stiffened them up just enough for me.

Brewski

i am a skier
Skier
The K2 Mindbender 130 boot should be on your radar. I’ve been in the 120 since last February. They ski awesome, fit my wideish foot, and tour really well.

TS
bremmick

bremmick

Booting up
Skier
Went in and chatted with SportsDen again. Discussed sizing. Scanned my feet out with the Boot Doc scanner. My feet scanned out as follows.

Heel to Toe Length - 303mm
Ball Width - 105mm (W1)
Instep Height - 70mm (V1)
Ankle Circumference - 270mm
Ball Girth - 268mm
Heel Width - 81mm

The chat with them was how small for sizing down. 29.5 is sized down when I’m measuring out at 303mm which would be 30.5 mondo. 28.5 is tight. About 5mm tight.
Not sure what the W1 & V1 is about. Didn't chat about those.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-01-15 094036.png
    Annotation 2020-01-15 094036.png
    177.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Annotation 2020-01-15 094036-1.png
    Annotation 2020-01-15 094036-1.png
    160.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Sponsor