• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bring a Trailer and Cars & Bids Appreciation Thread

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I'm not following... if a newer Ferrari, for instance, has traction control - is that no longer "stripped down"?
I think generally "stripped-down" means devoid of what purists would call frills. AC delete for instance. Lack of electronic intervention..no radio..door straps instead of handles with armrests. I wouldn't necessarily include electronic aids of ALL kinds.. Few of these cars are actually driven appropriately..and their drivers are probably better off with the assistance quite frankly.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From a fire in Reno a few years back. The owner moved his F40 (and McClaren) to a safer area.
8D5628AD-468A-40E6-94E3-210FA064E4F6.jpeg
FC25D871-8F42-4E22-9EE9-A17D76BDDB7C.jpeg
552E8629-B46A-4E1B-A048-B0F265D74ACC_1_101_o.jpeg
B69F14DC-1B6A-44DB-B385-EAE9A5A55760_1_101_o.jpeg
A494C292-C4D2-4B97-AEAC-C0346870CF65_1_101_o.jpeg
5B62AF99-537E-4A0A-BE80-71FE46B372A3_1_101_o.jpeg
71C37D6C-22E6-4F3B-AE1A-37B1C78D3953_1_101_o.jpeg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think generally "stripped-down" means devoid of what purists would call frills. AC delete for instance. Lack of electronic intervention..no radio..door straps instead of handles with armrests. I wouldn't necessarily include electronic aids of ALL kinds.. Few of these cars are actually driven appropriately..and their drivers are probably better off with the assistance quite frankly.
Yeah... that's what I was wondering. How many frills or electronic aids is no longer "stripped down"? Does it have to be racing spec (i.e. no extra weight/frills of any kind)?

James

Out There
Instructor
I'm not following... if a newer Ferrari, for instance, has traction control - is that no longer "stripped down"?
Uuggh…yes, you’re following.
You left out the “truly” modifier of “stripped down”.

Years ago, like late 80’s, I got a (slow) ride in a 1963 (?) Ferrari GTO. I was shocked how stripped it was. The doors weighed almost nothing, maybe had a strap to close it or you grabbed the edge of some aluminum, no real windows etc. Did have a fire suppression system inside the cabin. Radio? That’s the engine noise. At that time, you added fiberglass fender liners so little stones on the road wouldn’t dent the body work. Don’t know what they do now, as that car is well over $1million.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Uuggh…yes, you’re following.
You left out the “truly” modifier of “stripped down”.
OK, maybe I've caught up. I didn't get how the ad was helping define stripped down.

In any case, to circle back around, would the Ferrari F50 be "truly stripped down"? If so then that's at least one Ferrari newer than the F40 that is.

scott43

Skier
No sound deadener, extraneous plastic, etc. I believe the f50 was more user friendly and "luxurious". It's a blurry line. Everyone has their own window...

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe the f50 was more user friendly and "luxurious".
No, it wasn't - at least not really luxurious. It may have been a bit more user friendly, but it was pretty close to an F1 car made street legal... including the engine. Not a lot of features or aids... though it DID have AC. Here's the interior:

1652916741320.png

Last edited:

scott43

Skier
No, it wasn't. It was pretty close to an F1 car made street legal... including the engine. Not a lot of features or aids... though it DID have AC. Here's the interior:

View attachment 169496
Well, arguable. The F40 has very little int he way of interior door panels, the F50 actually has an armrest. But yeah, point taken..neither is "luxurious". As I say, it's a blurry line. The Porsche 911 RSR was pretty stripped as well.
ca0812-134309_4@2x.jpg

scott43

Skier
Another beauty..many of those 60's factory experimentals were like this..factory delete heater, rear seat, radio..plexiglass instead of plastic for everything but the windshield, aluminum bumpers, hood... That's a stripper..
1652917445403.png

James

Out There
Instructor
In any case, to circle back around, would the Ferrari F50 be "truly stripped down"? If so then that's at least one Ferrari newer than the F40 that is.
Well now it’s a conversation. (Btw, I added to my post above) Off hand, I’m not enough of a Ferrari cognoscenti to know. The F40’s interior is pretty much of a turd, so it probably wins on the “what is this refined interior nonsense? Are you driving or going to the theater?” The F50 is definitely more refined. Both have ac or you’d be in a sweat suit and miserable and would need a camelback. So there is that concession.

F40 is substantially faster. It has a mildly clunky 80’s look, that’s a no nonsense “let’s get it on”. The F-50 has a normally aspirated V-12, which is always a favorite for the sound. More refined front and styling in general, esp the lights. I find the wing oddly less refined from some angles. The F40 embraces its clunkiness better. The F50 is much rarer.

There’s no Abs on either, so no torque vectoring or traction control. Both require a left foot and right hand to shift. From watching the vid below, sounds like the F40 could use some sort of electronic management of boost to handle the enormous piling on of power, esp in the wet. But that’s up to you.

Ironically, he says the F40 makes a better grocery getter because you can drive it and stay out of major boost and it’s like “a normal car”. The V-12 apparently needs too many revs to be a grocery getter.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So they didn’t accept $1.96 million?
Correct. The reserve was set higher than that by the seller. If the car doesn't meet the reserve, no one gets to buy it, and the reserve is never published.

In in-person auctions, sometimes if it's close they'll remove the reserve in real-time. Or if it's close, sometimes the seller and buyer will talk afterward and it will still sell. (Say, for instance, the reserve was $1M, and the potential buyer bid it to a high of $990K. The seller may say, "hey, if you go to $1M, you can have it", and sell it that way.)

I'm not sure if either of those things can happen on BaT.

Sponsor

Staff online