• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Broke my bindings, can't replace, need new skis & bindings ASAP

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI, I am exactly your size. Probably older and more experienced. I demo'd these last spring and they knocked my socks off on groomers. Not an all mountain ski, really, but a great technical ski for learning and hollering, with a clear lineage from your Vivas. Notes here. You don't want to go too long on a ski that you'll use mostly on small mountain pistes; there isn't usually the elbow room you need to let them run.

20210402_140629-01.jpeg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Why not remove the rails and mount the new bindings flat and when you do get new skis just relocate the new bindings to the new skis? It might take the pressure off your budget to get them on your own schedule or be able to pick up skis at the end of the season.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Google ASOGEAR the online clearance for a ski shop. They sell ebay.

They sell their new old stock there.
so ASOGEAR is Corbetts.com Ebay store. If you buy direct through their website they charge you in CDN $, do not charge any tax and offer free shipping. They have lots of new old stock and typically have some new stock also on sale. You can easily get a nice pair of skis with bindings for under $500 through them so definitely worth checking out what they have.

Oh and FYI Corbetts is a truly legit brick and mortar ski shop as well as the number one reseller of ski gear on Ebay and Amazon. My point being is they are a good operator and if you call them you get a real person who knows skis to help you. If you ask nicely they may even mount your bindings for free :)

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Why not remove the rails and mount the new bindings flat and when you do get new skis just relocate the new bindings to the new skis? It might take the pressure off your budget to get them on your own schedule or be able to pick up skis at the end of the season.
The rails on that ski are built in, if I'm remembering right. They're an integral part of the ski.

Uncle-A

Skier
The rails on that ski are built in, if I'm remembering right. They're an integral part of the ski.
I would have to see the ski close up, I didn't think that they were integrated into the ski. Maybe the OP could post a close up picture of the rails were the binding attaches.

dovski

Skier
so basically what you are recommending is taking a 12 year old ski, removing the rails and then mounting new bindings. Once you factor in labor (unless OP can do it themselves) you could be looking at $250-$300 at which point OP may be better off just buying a new or lightly used pair of skis on sale somewhere.
As and FYI here are the 2021 Rossignol Experience 88 Ti Womens Skis w/ NX 12 Konect GW Bindings on sale for $594.99 CDN which is 473.27. This was one of the skis the OP had on there list so may be a better choice than trying to spend money to fix an old ski.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Look at what https://www.powder7.com/used-demo-skis-for-sale is offering. I've bought skis from them, and I think they under rate the condition. Mine were listed at 8.5 out of 10, and I would have rated them 9.5 if Powder7 had done a better tune. Anyway, the price is right.

I agree with getting skis that are under 80 mm waist width. My 78 mm skis are great for everything you describe. The wider the ski the more difficult it is on a firm surface. Use the Powder7 search criteria with your length range, your width range, more on the playful side and less demanding, demo, with bindings, your price range. When you find something interesting, check the skitalk ski selector Don't check any year or brand. Check your ability, frontside, women, waist width, and Tester's Choice. How about Powder7's Atomic Vantage 80 167, Fischer RC One 82 166 (maybe too advanced?), and the Volkl Yumi 80 161 is a great intermediate ski to learn on (maybe not advanced enough?) Check the skitalk ski selector reviews.

Uncle-A

Skier
so basically what you are recommending is taking a 12 year old ski, removing the rails and then mounting new bindings. Once you factor in labor (unless OP can do it themselves) you could be looking at $250-$300 at which point OP may be better off just buying a new or lightly used pair of skis on sale somewhere.
As and FYI here are the 2021 Rossignol Experience 88 Ti Womens Skis w/ NX 12 Konect GW Bindings on sale for $594.99 CDN which is 473.27. This was one of the skis the OP had on there list so may be a better choice than trying to spend money to fix an old ski.

That was before I found out that the rail is incorporated into the top sheet of the ski. If it was just screwed into the ski than yes. If you can't get a new binding mounted for $200 you need to be a better shopper and it is going to be relocated so not a waste, at worst the mounting fee which is the cheapest part of the purchase. If when the OP buys the ski purchased the ski from the same shop that the binding was purchased it might be a negotiation for the price of the ski or the mount.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Given your initial post you have been following the advise from your ski school forum post and are working on improving your skiing skills. Given that, I would recommend not exceeding 75 underfoot. Some of the drills you mentioned and a lot of others will be easier to perfect and you will develop a better feel for ski/snow interaction with a narrower ski. The vast majority of Midwest PSIA level 3 candidates ski and test on narrower skis. That doesn’t happen by chance.
^^ This. Up to 78mm waist, no wider, for building skills on eastern snow, which tends to suffer from thaw-freeze cycles and hardens up as a result... not to mention the prevalence of man-made snow.

Why 78 or less? Because you need to learn to shape your turns by tipping the skis up on edge. A ski that's 88mm wide at the waist is much harder to tip up on edge than one that's 78mm. And it puts strain on the knees. I'm talking about hard snow skiing.

On an 88, you'll end up trying to get your turns to happen by rotating the ski while it's pretty flat.
Embedding this habit will impair your progress.

Last edited:

dovski

Skier
That was before I found out that the rail is incorporated into the top sheet of the ski. If it was just screwed into the ski than yes. If you can't get a new binding mounted for $200 you need to be a better shopper and it is going to be relocated so not a waste, at worst the mounting fee which is the cheapest part of the purchase. If when the OP buys the ski purchased the ski from the same shop that the binding was purchased it might be a negotiation for the price of the ski or the mount.
Typically if you are just buying bindings from a shop they will charge you a mounting fee all be it a reduced one. You still have the issue of removing the rail, plugging the holes and then drilling new holes to mount the binding. So while yes from a cost perspective depending on the binding you choose you could keep the overall cost with mounting fee to and tax to around $200, it still begs the question of is it even worth it for a 5-10 year old ski when you can buy new skis with bindings for $400 and lightly used skis for $200-$300. The other question is what impact if any will drilling all those extra holes have in an older ski and how much life is actually left in that ski anyhow.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just took a quick look on Corbetts/Asogear site for deals in this range. Keep in mind these are Canadian prices so you get a deal on exchange and shipping is free in North America.

Volkl Kenja 88-same as Kendo 88

View attachment 154792
View attachment 154793

Bindings that would work on either ski and available in black or red in the 85mm brake.
View attachment 154791
Mindbender 88Ti Alliance-Women’s specific ski that’s a bit lighter, softer and more playful than the Kenja but still solid and powerful.

View attachment 154794
Another option that includes bindings and it similar to your old skis but with a more updated design. Should be more of a carver than the other two but maybe not as fun in bumps or off piste.
My wife loves here Kenjas

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Typically if you are just buying bindings from a shop they will charge you a mounting fee all be it a reduced one. You still have the issue of removing the rail, plugging the holes and then drilling new holes to mount the binding. So while yes from a cost perspective depending on the binding you choose you could keep the overall cost with mounting fee to and tax to around $200, it still begs the question of is it even worth it for a 5-10 year old ski when you can buy new skis with bindings for $400 and lightly used skis for $200-$300. The other question is what impact if any will drilling all those extra holes have in an older ski and how much life is actually left in that ski anyhow.
@dovski there is no drilling if she finds an old pair cheap. They just slide in. System binding. It might be economical or it might not. She said she was on a tight budget. Brainstorming on solutions. That's all

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
And my wife loves her Kenjas too but we ski out west these days. I remember skiing Jay Peak VT and it was almost always icy. Mid 70's would be the better choice most days.

Last edited:

dovski

Skier
@dovski there is no drilling if she finds an old pair cheap. They just slide in. System binding. It might be economical or it might not. She said she was on a tight budget. Brainstorming on solutions. That's all
completely agree if you can find an old pair cheap that is an easy fix, but at one point it had been suggested they remove the rails and flat mount a new binding. My point was that if you were going to do that you may want consider a new or slightly used ski as that would be an expensive fix for an older ski.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
so ASOGEAR is Corbetts.com Ebay store. If you buy direct through their website they charge you in CDN $, do not charge any tax and offer free shipping. They have lots of new old stock and typically have some new stock also on sale. You can easily get a nice pair of skis with bindings for under $500 through them so definitely worth checking out what they have.

Oh and FYI Corbetts is a truly legit brick and mortar ski shop as well as the number one reseller of ski gear on Ebay and Amazon. My point being is they are a good operator and if you call them you get a real person who knows skis to help you. If you ask nicely they may even mount your bindings for free :)

Fully aware, have bought from both. Corbett's is about 30mins from home almost in stones throw distance from the Ford plant.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I ski the same resorts as you do. If you liked your 81mm waisted Blizzards, I’d get something similar but wouldn’t go far beyond that for these mountains. I have several skis I use here in the Mid Atlantic and they all in the 80-86mm range. That’s plenty wide for here. Every manufacturer makes good skis in this range imo.

Sponsor

Staff online