• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Can anybody tell me how long do ski boots last?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
250 is pretty good. I was going to say 100-150 days is about average but you'll probably need liners before that. Are you still on the original liners?
At 250, they're still kids. Try 480.

Start out with boots so snug you want to rip them off in ten minutes. Don't have them pre-moIded, rely on actual skiing to fit them. After a full season, 70 days, take them back to the shop if there are any hot spots under the theory that if they were going to pack out on their own, they'd have done it by now. Put on a little weight each season or add a thin insole if there is any slop developing in the crucial areas around the foot. Linings can only pack so far and then that's it, they don't vanish. At this point you begin to worry about plastic fatigue on the shell, and sheer wear on the linings from taking them on and off, but they make better plastics than 20 years ago.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You are correct, buy the toe and heel replacement parts as soon as you know you are keeping the boots. Trying to find them a few years down the road is near impossible. Ski shops and manufacturers want to sell new boots they may not stock as many parts to keep the older boots on the mountain.
This is very true. I just encountered exactly that. Dalbello stopped making the heels and toes and grip walk wouldn’t fit the boots. I have about 250 days in the boots and use boot doc liners which are still great. Luckily I found a deeply discounted identical pair on line. I’ll need to get them canted but decided to use the new shells since I have a wonky buckle on the old pair.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is no pat answer. I will say a goof guideline is the better the boot the longer it will last because they are build with better materials and parts that are replacable. I had my first pair of Raichle Flexons for about 25 years. I replaced the liners 4 times and the shells 5 time.

James

Out There
Instructor
Replacement happens when the threshold of replacement is reached. It varies by individual. There’s time involved. The more hassle it was to get your boots working, the longer it takes.to forget and say something stupid like “it’s wasn’t that bad”. So it takes time for boot amnesia.

Then there’s the annoyance of continuing with some issue that still doesn’t work with the current boot. Replacement probability goes up with time.

Liner life - at some point the decision to buy yet another liner gets harder. If a Zipfit is involved you’re shopping for a shell. That can go both ways for replacement.

Shiny object factor. At some point you get tited of the sane thing. This could take 15 years for some.

Cracks. Only so much drilling one can do to stop a crack. Appearance of cracks usually means flipping the hourglass over for replacement time. How much sand the glass holds varies wildly. I’ve gone on a few years with cracks.

Fatigue and desire to start a new relationship. Generally does not happen in one year unless it was a bad relationship to begin with.
Days skied per season. Ten years fir many people is still under 100 days.

We could probably come up with a complicated math formula. Perhaps @mdf with his math and physics could take a stab st it.
No, he won’t do. He’s still hasn’t reached the threshold of replacement after 30 years. Worse, the replacement is in a dark closet and is 30 years old.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
This is very true. I just encountered exactly that. Dalbello stopped making the heels and toes and grip walk wouldn’t fit the boots. I have about 250 days in the boots and use boot doc liners which are still great. Luckily I found a deeply discounted identical pair on line. I’ll need to get them canted but decided to use the new shells since I have a wonky buckle on the old pair.
Why don't you use the discounted pair for parts? Pull the new toe and heel pieces off and put them on your old boot.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Why don't you use the discounted pair for parts? Pull the new toe and heel pieces off and put them on your old boot.
Because I have a wonky ankle buckle that bends far too easily at this point. I have tried to get it replaced 3 times but, for whatever reason, no one actually is willing to do it? It makes more sense to just go visit @bud heishman and get them canted. Besides Bob needs (ahem*) wants new boots so we will be going there anyway!
ETA: we have a rule … all skiing related purchases MUST automatically be approved by the spouse if marital harmony is to continue.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
I hate buying new boots, so I try to make them last as long as possible! I am going into my 6th season with my krypton shells.

Touring boots don't last nearly as long..... more like100-200 days. The material is lighter and if you are doing ski mountaineering/hiking you can rough them up pretty good on rocks and scree. Plus, the tech for touring boots is evolving quickly, so there's more motivation to switch them up!

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Back in the 80's we had "Exploding Nordicas" Their was actually a thread on Epic about disintegration of the grey Nordicas.

These boots would last 12 -14 years then the plastic became brittle and would crack. The whole sole would fall off or the toe box
would detach etc. My Trish had a pair. we were skiing for free one day at Ski Liberty in PA. (radio station promotion)

This cost her a lot ! One of her old grey Nordicas had half of the toe crack part way off. It Exploded LOL.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Back in the 80's we had "Exploding Nordicas" Their was actually a thread on Epic about disintegration of the grey Nordicas.

These boots would last 12 -14 years then the plastic became brittle and would crack. The whole sole would fall off or the toe box
would detach etc. My Trish had a pair. we were skiing for free one day at Ski Liberty in PA. (radio station promotion)

This cost her a lot ! One of her old grey Nordicas had half of the toe crack part way off. It Exploded LOL.
If you got 12 - 14 years, even at below average use from pair of boots you can not complain. The plastic is going to give out due to several reasons with UV Light one of the main reasons.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

In fairness, it wasn't just Nordica, almost all the boots from that era were susceptible to this.

James

Out There
Instructor
In fairness, it wasn't just Nordica, almost all the boots from that era were susceptible to this.
Do you think @mdf’s SX 92’s in the closet will suffer such a fate? By the time they come out, they’ll be pushing 35 years since new.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do you think @mdf’s SX 92’s in the closet will suffer such a fate? By the time they come out, they’ll be pushing 35 years since new.
I have never seen an SX92/93 decompose. Earlier SX70/80/90, yes but never a 92..or come to think of it, even a SX_1 boot either.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Yikes! Boots breaking down is one thing, but sounds like it fell apart while she was using it? :geek:
I had a friend 25 years ago where the boot cracked vertically while he was skiing. A complete circle around the instep. And my husband's Nordicas, 20 years back, a complete circle around the ankle.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I had a friend 25 years ago where the boot cracked vertically while he was skiing. A complete circle around the instep. And my husband's Nordicas, 20 years back, a complete circle around the ankle.

Sounds like (1) get up-to-date boots and (2) keep an eye on them or more yikes!

Sponsor

Staff online