• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Car snow brush/ice scraper

Eddie

Booting up
Skier
I remember reading a thread about this. Any updates on newer products. My main concern is a brush that won't scratch the paint and strong enough scraper for heavy ice. Long would be ok, yet this is for a car, so cleaning my roof is easy to reach, therefor not necessary. I would like something strong though, not to easily brake. I would be using both hands to clean heavy snow, due to my arthritis of my right wrist. Yes, I searched the web and Amazon, and there are too many options and reviews. I am looking for reviews of the fine, knowledgeable people of this site.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Everything I've tried that is extendable isn't strong enough to use while actually extended. I'd avoid the telescoping ones and instead use something solid and stand on a folding step stool if you nee that to reach the roof. Folding step stool is also great to sit on while booting up or stand on shuffling things around in the ski box up top.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I resorted to using a broom when living in the PNW.

TS
E

Eddie

Booting up
Skier
I use a witches broom for 6+ inches on my Jetta. Never down to the metal as not to scratch the paint.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
get a windshield cover and it will heavily reduce the need for scraping if you plan ahead and put it on while your windshield is clear.
I have a FrostGuard, but there are also generic knockoff similar items if you're on the cheap.

My second "hack" is, if possible let all the warm air out of your car before you closeup the car for the night and snow is forecast. (leave the doors open for a bit. If you equalize and let your windshield get cold, less snow will melt on it (and less refreeze).

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I like having an acrylic blade on one side and a hard rubber blade on the other. Hard rubber - somewhere in the 60A-70A range, so about as hard as tire rubber and firmer than wiper blades.

For obstinate clingy snow that doesn't actually need snap-cracking, the rubber is more effective than a brush - brushes tend to skip up over the top and only take the top loose bit off. Obviously, the rubber is more paint safe than the acrylic side, except you have to wipe it down with a cleaner every so often to get the grit off the blade.

The comparison standard in this category is the Quirky Thor design: AMAZON LINK

I'm pretty sure I posted about it in at least one other thread.

On the up side, the handle is REALLY sturdy. Also, the rounded side with rubber on it is both a grip and a scraper when held flat. When used as a grip it lets you really bear down on the ice scraper side, better than just about any single-sided hard plastic scraper. That might be a good thing for arthritic wrists, or it might put too much force on them, I don't know. I have yet to find anything better for getting freezing rain crud off the side windows.

Disadvantages one might not immediately notice: Not so great on highly curved surfaces with the handle extended.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
get a windshield cover and it will heavily reduce the need for scraping if you plan ahead and put it on while your windshield is clear.
I have a FrostGuard, but there are also generic knockoff similar items if you're on the cheap.
Just ordered a FrostGuard, thanks.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I remember reading a thread about this. Any updates on newer products. My main concern is a brush that won't scratch the paint and strong enough scraper for heavy ice. Long would be ok, yet this is for a car, so cleaning my roof is easy to reach, therefor not necessary. I would like something strong though, not to easily brake. I would be using both hands to clean heavy snow, due to my arthritis of my right wrist. Yes, I searched the web and Amazon, and there are too many options and reviews. I am looking for reviews of the fine, knowledgeable people of this site.

My 2 cents on ski cars is that they're pretty much full contact vehicles. As other folks mentioned, pushing snow off with a broom is pretty common and that's going to leave some light abrasion marks in the gloss,.. But you're supposed to be in a hurry to get going to the mountain on a powder day. The sides of my Forester is peppered with little dings and chips from leaning skis against it while loading and unloading.. booting up in the parking lot, improvising as needed. Your carpets will get muddy.. a LOT too. If keeping the car immaculate is important, don't take it on ski trips. rent something or add a winter beater..

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

I havent found anything. I just clean as much snow as I can off the car and turn on the heater and wait 5-10m for it to warm and everything comes out easy. If you are in a hurry you are SOL.

Reactions: Ron

James

Out There
Instructor
Use rain-x in the washer fluid. It makes it much easier to scrape as water doesn’t sheet as much but you get little beads many times.

On the other side, as a control, could try Jet-x rinse aid for dishwashers with regular washer fluid. That’s a sheeting agent. Hmmm. Chemists?
A45EB66C-AE2D-4DEF-9E02-61342BF12A6F.png

www.rainx.com/product/windshield-washer-fluid/rain-x-de-icer-windshield-washer-fluid/#.X7GnGOQ8KEc

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Use rain-x in the washer fluid. It makes it much easier to scrape as water doesn’t sheet as much but you get little beads many times.

On the other side, as a control, could try Jet-x rinse aid for dishwashers. That’s a sheeting agent. Hmmm. Chemists?
How about DPS Phantom on the rest of the car? Don't try this at home kids hahaha

Seriously though I run this or the all season in the winter. Works but I'm convinced it causes my Bosh Platinum blades to wear out and crack quicker.. like every 6 months or so..

1605478577307.png

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
How about DPS Phantom on the rest of the car? Don't try this at home kids hahaha
There’s plenty of paint protectants available that cost almost as much as Phantom. Don’t know if they help with ice.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Works but I'm convinced it causes my Bosh Platinum blades to wear out and crack quicker.. like every 6 months or so..
Those are crap I used to go through them in 3 months. I think cheap Anco were better. Ok, this is over 10 yrs ago, but I tried all sorts of wipers. I ended up trying Sil-Blade all silicone rubber as they had them on a 4x4 site. I bought winter and summer. I never installed the summer, just left the winters on- for like 5 years! Still on when i sold the vehicle. Probably 125k miles. Crazy. They were just starting to streak towards the end. But, those were simple 18 inch blades on a pretty upright windshield. Wipers on todays highly sloped windshields where you can put a large pizza on the dash are different.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Those are crap I used to go through them in 3 months. I think cheap Anco were better. Ok, this is over 10 yrs ago, but I tried all sorts of wipers. I ended up trying Sil-Blade all silicone rubber as they had them on a 4x4 site. I bought winter and summer. I never installed the summer, just left the winters on- for like 5 years! Still on when i sold the vehicle. Probably 125k miles. Crazy. They were just starting to streak towards the end. But, those were simple 18 inch blades on a pretty upright windshield. Wipers on todays highly sloped windshields where you can put a large pizza on the dash are different.
Ya, Trico, Rain-X, Bosch, Michelin, they're pretty much all crap though. So, I go with the ones that are easiest to change and most readily available to ease the pain of the inevitable. Trico's the only one I've found that fits the Forester back easily, Bosch on the front..

Remember though, we don't get much snow or ice here.. And I flip them up when I know it's coming and take the time to warm up and scrape it when I see it. I'm not harsh on the wiper blade..

Sponsor