• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Changing lightbulbs in cathedral ceiling fans

Kevin should...

• Hire someone to change his light bulb

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Hire someone to change the fixture so he can change his own light bulb in the future

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Buy a bigger ladder so he can change the lightbulb safely

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Buy scaffolding. He'll probably need it for other projects anyway

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Call Jersey Skier's wife to get a referal

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I propose we apply logic to the situation. I see two approaches thinking logically.
1. Hire someone to come in and change your fixture to something that will never need a light changed again, or can be lowered. I don't know if there is a 10, 20, 30 year light emitting devices?? It will cost you $$, but its a one time expense.
2. Which I vote for, leave it alone and just use it as a fan and then add a different lighting fixture some where you can reach it easily. If you can live without the light, just leave it alone and use it as a fan (and spend the $$ on more Stockli's). If you need the light, then either DIY or get and electrician in to install some new "accessible" lighting and it can probably be wired to the same switch as the fan light is wired to. If not, then add a new switch in the appropriate place.

I work for a company with our own factory and there are tall ceilings with overhead cranes. There are very tall step ladders which open up very wide, but are stable. We use them. We also have travel lifts which are most often used for higher jobs. The staging is a good way to go, but not as good as a travel lift for our factory. Staging makes more sense for residential.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Right, but he’d still need a highline to get to the middle.
Can’t be so bad, she’s doing it in high heels. But, can she change a light bulb??
View attachment 138152

This guy’s first attempt to set up a slackline at home put the lag bolt into the gap between the top of the stud and the top plate. It pulled out, but his drop to the floor was short. He then moved it and added another anchor in the ceiling joist.
View attachment 138154

This is the way to go. Doubles as a summer guest bed. Under the fan! Perfect for airbnb 20 somethings with good waiver. Still, it’s a pair of Stöckli’s.
View attachment 138153
Don’t be sexist, gets you in a lot of trouble these days. Bigger question is can you walk in heels before trying to change the light bulb?

:ogcool:

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I'd just give up on counting on a fixture designed to move air to serve double duty as a lighting source.

I made an appointment at a lighting store near me; their comment upon asking "what's the project" was to say that a ceiling fan 15 feet off the ground doesn't really do anything in terms of effectively moving air / providing comfort. I would tend to agree with that as I can't really feel any air movement.

I don't know a whole lot (anything...) about effectively lighting a room from that high up, so we'll see what they say.

James

Out There
Instructor
^^ Now we’re giving up on the fan?
7 speeds-

Bigger question is can you walk in heels before trying to change the light bulb?
You haven’t defined heels. I could probably handle 2 1/2 -3 inch high with a wide heel.
More important for safety is heel area.

Below, a, c, or d. The b, is too dangerous for working on high platforms, a has it’s own platform which doesn’t help. They’re all too high really. I guess I’d have to go with d, but the laces are dangerous. Surely there’s a sports high heel?
If it’s only 2 to 2 1/2 inches, you could climb ladders better with the heel outside. You can then lock your heel on the ladder rung to rest while fiddling with the light.

5D67723C-9A90-4BC4-9BF0-A6DDC485234B.jpeg

Now if we’re talking cowboy boots they’re likely to have 1 1/ - 2 inch underslung heels. The under slinging doesn’t help Kevin’s balance.
5AFA6368-0707-427E-B6DD-C95C318320EA.png

Looking at the chart, it’s clear the riding heel is about as useful for working on a high platform as the high heels above. The would be the ‘roper straight’. Never seen one that I know of. (I did meet a roper competitor once.)

So Kevin now needs a pair of custom cowboy boots with ‘roper straight’ heels. Before even starting the project.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
7 speeds-

You haven’t defined heels. I could probably handle 2 1/2 -3 inch high with a wide heel.
More important for safety is heel area.

Below, a, c, or d. The b, is too dangerous for working on high platforms, a has it’s own platform which doesn’t help. They’re all too high really. I guess I’d have to go with d, but the laces are dangerous. Surely there’s a sports high heel?
If it’s only 2 to 2 1/2 inches, you could climb ladders better with the heel outside. You can then lock your heel on the ladder rung to rest while fiddling with the light.

View attachment 138164

Now if we’re talking cowboy boots they’re likely to have 1 1/ - 2 inch underslung heels. The under slinging doesn’t help Kevin’s balance.
View attachment 138197
Looking at the chart, it’s clear the riding heel is about as useful for working on a high platform as the high heels above. The would be the ‘roper straight’. Never seen one that I know of. (I did meet a roper competitor once.)

So Kevin now needs a pair of custom cowboy boots with ‘roper straight’ heels. Before even starting the project.
Some how you’ve shared some information that when the wine/beer/liqueur wears off, might cause questions by others. :geek:ogwink:roflmao:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A good 16' step ladder costs around $600 plus your time. Or hire a painter to freshen up the ceiling and clean the fan.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
7 speeds-
Our ceiling fan is that high up and we do feel the difference when its not on.
On the other hand a neighbor switched theirs out to a bigger fan blade and it really makes a difference.

Oh and @KevinF, if you want fan ideas, you can always visit the von Trapp Brewing's Bierhall for Big Ass Fan ideas. Those things push some air.
Also, when you do get to a place where you can see the actual unit, check to make sure the fan is pushing air not pulling it.
There is usually a switch on the fan to change directions.

74B325CE-1D3C-4089-B0CE-DCDB63E6279A.JPG

6C81E544-22BF-4CEC-B1E1-C643B7839584.JPG

James

Out There
Instructor
Can Kevin’s place handle a 5 foot diameter fan? Might blow him off the stilettos.
“Hold my beer while I turn the fan on...”

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Can Kevin’s place handle a 5 foot diameter fan? Might blow him off the stilettos.
“Hold my beer while I turn the fan on...”
:roflmao:
The image my mind conjured up...

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
7 speeds-

I have no idea how well these would move the air down low from a 15' ceiling, but we just put these in our upstairs rooms (where we both WFH basically all the time now) and they are by far the best ceiling fans I've ever had. They move so much air. The light in them is good too, imho, though I'm not a light nerd.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Many fans can accept an extension rod, so the fan isn't as high up. We have a high ceiling, but the fan hangs approx. 3 feet below the mounting point (ceiling is also slanted, so the rod is necessary). It's low enough that you can reach it with a 3-4 ft step ladder.

I'm not sure how this affect lighting though (we don't have a light on our ceiling fan).

James

Out There
Instructor
"Excuse me while I dust."
Click....click.
"All done."
Isn’t this quote 100% wrong?

——————
Picture the rotors (helicopter or fan) as if you are looking down on them. The right hand side (0- to 180-degrees) of the 360-degree disc is called the side of attack and the left side (180- to 360-degrees) is called the side of retreat. Both sets of blades spin counter-clockwise. The side of attack actually spins slower than the side of retreat. This is due to the drag on the side of attack and the absence of drag on the side of retreat. Also, the far outer end of the blades moves slower than the inner center of the blades.
—————-

Outside moves slower than inside? That’s opposite, no?

Sponsor

Staff online