• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Detailing 101-A day in the life of a detailer

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
Where does one get that?

James

Out There
Instructor
Hey @GregK , how about Jay’s detailers? Didn’t know he had branded products at Walmart.
Would they have cleaned the car first before doing their cloth wipe and then machine polish? No clay bar business?

Paint tape is made in many grades of adhesion, yet they just have the basic one sermingly.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Hey @GregK , how about Jay’s detailers? Didn’t know he had branded products at Walmart.
Would they have cleaned the car first before doing their cloth wipe and then machine polish? No clay bar business?

Paint tape is made in many grades of adhesion, yet they just have the basic one sermingly.

I’m sure that car has received a wash fairly recently and just sitting in the garage since as it just looked a little dusty. They used instant detailer with microfiber cloths to remove the dust but also could have just rinsed it down and leaf blower/dryer dry. If it was more visibly dirty, they would have for sure used more than just instant detailer on it.
I too always power wash the vehicle off after polishing to remove any compound dust before ceramic coating. With the leaf blower/dryer it takes under 10 mins.

Could have clay barred the vehicle before polishing as it’s just a cleaning step really but this might have been done recently or when using the instant detailer, it felt smooth enough to feel it wasn’t needed. The polishing stage will clean and polish the surface as well.

3M does make auto trim specific tape which is green and is perfect in most cases but you can have issues with older or classic cars as their trim is very fragile sometimes. Even tape that’s not that tacky can lift paint or rubber on removal so I make sure it’s not pressed on very hard on older cars.

Didn’t know he had a detailing line either and apparently it’s not just someone else’s rebadged. When I googled, people said it was decent but for pros like myself, I can buy in bulk from other companies for cheaper.

Sponsor

Staff online