• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Detailing 101-A day in the life of a detailer

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Forgot to post this last week but a regular was selling his older 911 turbo that he washed with “maybe something on his drying rag”. Showed up to a super swirled car but made it a lot better.

I found out he is a skier and road biker like myself and he bought all this ski tuning gear but no idea how to use any of it. I’m going to his place soon to give him some ski tuning lessons. Lol

Before pics

View attachment 181526 View attachment 181527

Afters

View attachment 181528 View attachment 181529
I hope you are going to charge him for the tuning lessons, because after what he did to that car he clearly will need lots of help.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I hope you are going to charge him for the tuning lessons, because after what he did to that car he clearly will need lots of help.
His first comment when we were discussing ski tuning after I said that “I’m about as good at ski tuning as I am detailing” was “Oh my God, can you come over and teach me how to use my tuning gear? I’ll pay you!” Haha

I met this customer a few years ago who was referred to me from a long time customer who is also a doctor that has 7 cars including many Porsches.
At the end of the first day we discussing what I did in my free time and it was scary the similarities between us. I road bike and he does too with us both having Colnago bikes(His was about $15k more than mine though…) Talked about skiing and his son races at the local bump where I raced and so did he did as a kid.
I got new rotary brushes for a deal off Amazon recently and when I mentioned it to him, he ordered them too so he’d have them “when I came over for lessons”. :roflmao:

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The last few years I’ve been so busy with regular clients that I no longer travel outside outside of my own city. Was working 6 days a week and still didn’t get to all the customers wanting work done.

This Spring I sold my cottage at a peak demand and a rental property the year before and now phasing into retirement. Only work a few days a week when I feel like it and my final car of the year was last week and won’t be working again to late next Spring.

Now I’m full time ski tuning and skiing rather than detailing! Haha
Sounds like you are living your best life..congrats!!!!!

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
When I was pulling a float in a parade, I spent all day doing my black F250. Not nearly in the detail you are, but it was about 2x the sheet metal. It got dark by the time I quit, and when I opened the Garage door, it was dusty.
I went old school with a can of liquid Glass. Folks along the route could see their reflection.

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
@GregK thanks for all the great info! -- I had question about older vehicles with the "dingy" headlights- what is your recommendation? I have tried some kits or had the dealership do it but it doesn't last very long. I do have access to an orbital polisher if that is helpful.... thx

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
@GregK thanks for all the great info! -- I had question about older vehicles with the "dingy" headlights- what is your recommendation? I have tried some kits or had the dealership do it but it doesn't last very long. I do have access to an orbital polisher if that is helpful.... thx
Cloudy headlights are the result of the protective coating becoming oxidized. To fix this issue you have to use abrasive polishes/compounds to remove this oxidation or in more extreme cases, use sandpaper(much higher grit than typical wood sandpaper). Then you have to go through steps of finer sandpaper and then through steps of finer compounds to finishing polishes to properly get the gloss back. Then you have to protect the headlight again with a wax or coating as you have removed the factory protection.

Like scratches on the painted body of the car, you try the “least aggressive product that gets the job done” on headlights. Also like the painted part of the car, you can’t just use an aggressive compound and be done. You have to follow with finer polishing steps.

A decent headlight kit with have various grits of sandpaper(usually wet) either on a hand or round pad attached to a cordless drill, some compound polish and finally a finishing polish/wax with that’s again used on a rotational pad with a drill. Any “just liquid” kit will not get the job done and only be temporary.

Most auto body or car parts shops sell various grits of wet sandpaper on their own as well. 3000 grit(very fine finishing sandpaper) and 1500 or 2000 grit(for heavier haze) is all you should need in most cases.

Open the car hood and tape off the edges of the body surrounding the headlights so your buffer or sandpaper doesn’t hit them. Then start trying less aggressive methods like a compound/polish/scratch remover with your polisher on the headlights. If you’re happy with the results, move to a finishing polish and add some protection and you’re done. Use that polish and then sealant once a year at least to maintain.

If it still looks hazing after the compound on the buffer, then try the wet 3000 grit sandpaper(spray both the headlight area itself and the small square of sandpaper cut from the sheet) and go over the entire headlight by hand with light pressure. You will easily see the white oxidation being removed. If it looks pretty even now(but still dull), you now follow with the compound and then polish on your buffer. The first compound/polish stage on the buffer should transform the clarity of the headlight.

If it’s still not even with the 3000 grit, try the 1500 grit till it’s looking like the oxidation is gone. Then clean and go over the wet headlight again lightly with wet 3000 grit. Then compound then lighter polish then protect.

Severe headlights might require even more aggressive sandpaper which I’d leave to a professional. Sometimes have to do 4 steps of sandpaper on a high speed rotary polisher and then 2 or 3 steps of compounds/polishes on another polisher. More risk that’s not worth it for a DIY.

Honestly rare that a hazed headlight needs more than 1500 grit, 3000 grit, compound and finishing polish. Many times, 3000 grit is more than enough to move to remove the oxidation.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
is there a preferred sealant or one that lasts longer?

I imagine I thought there would be a self-etching self-flattening high-bond acrylic spray composition by now. Guess not.

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thank you @GregK I always think that its driving thru the desert with the wind that just sandblasts the headlights. We are actually thinking of replacing the headlights on an older vehicle if we can't get them back to clear.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
So how much would it cost to detail a 2008 C6 convertible to the standards shown here. (Asking for a friend)
Usually in the $500 range if you wanted a 2 stage compound then finishing polish and ceramic coating and interior clean but I’m cheaper than most as I have less overhead because I’m mobile.

No longer go out of town myself but did a search for places in Sudbury that look good.
Found lots of places that you can tell only do very basic jobs that I’d avoid.

Both these 2 places seem like that know what they are doing and could properly polish and coat your Vette.

5782ED72-EA43-4710-AD3E-ADCBCFA75C9F.png
ADC9F5B7-2BD6-48E7-8E08-7DB660499490.png

James

Out There
Instructor
Any suggestions for rubber door seals in winter? After the deluge yesterday, then temps dropping into single digits, I was barely able to get the driver’s door open. And that seal was already ripped. Didn’t want to try the others till I get it in a heated garage for a night.

Would silicone spray on the rubber be good or something else?

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
Any suggestions for rubber door seals in winter? After the deluge yesterday, then temps dropping into single digits, I was barely able to get the driver’s door open. And that seal was already ripped. Didn’t want to try the others till I get it in a heated garage for a night.

Would silicone spray on the rubber be good or something else?
sonax gummipfleger

713A262F-C77D-4BB5-AA18-B4359D837C6F.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online