• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do you ski with style?

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy working on carving harder and getting cleaner on low snow days when I'm bound to the groomers. But, it's no substitute for finding that zen like state where you're just flowing with the hill.
I really like this. I got back into sking in 2020 after a 20 year layoff, I watched a ton of YouTubes, and I changed my style from my 80's style, and really learned a lot from all the YouTubes, but I don't want to ski like this....lol

carv pic.JPG

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe the proper technical term is "steeze"
"Steeze" seems to have peaked in about 2010, and has been on a gradual decline... per Google anyway... I have no idea what newer term may be replacing it. Maybe just "style" but that's hard to look for trends on as it's too common a word.

1642548524290.png

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't worry about style. I focus on balance and speed control. I did have a instructor remark today, you make real nice turns. So there's that. ogsmile
Heh, an instructor once told me I might not be much to look at, ”but you sure get around!”

To answer the question: no, I probably don’t ski with style. But I’m not sure that it matters how I look to other people. Change my mind.

Though I’ve been known to tele, and chicks dig it, right? So…

Last edited:

Carl

On the north side of the mountain
Skier
The question reminds me of a comment a friend once made. He said that college hockey players skate faster than the pros. I had a bit of a chuckle on that one. I commented back, no the pros are actually skating faster it's just that they make it look so effortless.

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
The best skiers I know and there are very few do not ski with style they ski with flow! It appears to be effortless, like water flowing down a curvy creek bed. Effortless, poetry in motion, always recognizable, very, very seldom see.
This is my goal. Flow down the mountain like water in a stream. Like all of the best aspirational goals it is eternally just out of reach.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yup, like anything else, first you learn the basics, then you get very good at doing the standard correctly (whatever standard you learned), then you you make your own art. Even the famous martial artist Bruce Lee, famous for his innovation, started by studying a traditional martial art.
Most skiers aren't there yet. Many never will be.
Nice reference!

"You put a PugSkier into the Pow. We become the Pow! Be Pug my Friend." :hail::snow::snow::snow::snow:

Last edited:

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The best skiers I know and there are very few do not ski with style they ski with flow! It appears to be effortless, like water flowing down a curvy creek bed. Effortless, poetry in motion, always recognizable, very, very seldom see.
That's how I want to ski bumps. Effortless is the key word. Not sure if you call it style or flow. I need to get me some fat skis the ski bums on the lift are tellling me, smear my turns, not carve them.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
"Steeze" seems to have peaked in about 2010, and has been on a gradual decline... per Google anyway... I have no idea what newer term may be replacing it. Maybe just "style" but that's hard to look for trends on as it's too common a word.

View attachment 155753
Ya we're a little behind...Now it's STEEZY
1642557919164.png

Sponsor

Staff online