• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

East coast one ski quiver

Saraz

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi, I'm looking for a one ski quiver that can do both resort and touring, a pretty 50/50 set up. I want to be able to adventure the powder with the skis when I tour, I have pretty strong legs, so if it's a bit heavy, I don't really mind. Tree skiing is also a major part of a ski day for me, so if it's quite capable on this situation it would be appreciate. For the rest, I do some groomers. I am not the fastest skier, but I'm quite fast. I'm 5'9, 156 lbs and a pretty advanced near expert skier. I mostly ski the east coast, Quebec actually, so pretty hard packed snow, ice and not a lot of powder. I was looking a 88-96 waist width, but if you have something else I'm willing to listen. I wonder which skis you guys recommend to me? As for the bindings I am hesitant between the marker duke pt 12 and the Salomon/atomic/armada shift 10, what would you suggest? If you have any other ideas I’m willing to listen, but since it’s a 50/50 set up, I want something quite capable for the downhill.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Hi, I'm looking for a one ski quiver that can do both resort and touring, a pretty 50/50 set up. I want to be able to adventure the powder with the skis when I tour, I have pretty strong legs, so if it's a bit heavy, I don't really mind. Tree skiing is also a major part of a ski day for me, so if it's quite capable on this situation it would be appreciate. For the rest, I do some groomers. I am not the fastest skier, but I'm quite fast. I'm 5'9, 156 lbs and a pretty advanced near expert skier. I mostly ski the east coast, Quebec actually, so pretty hard packed snow, ice and not a lot of powder. I was looking a 88-96 waist width, but if you have something else I'm willing to listen. I wonder which skis you guys recommend to me? As for the bindings I am hesitant between the marker duke pt 12 and the Salomon/atomic/armada shift 10, what would you suggest? If you have any other ideas I’m willing to listen, but since it’s a 50/50 set up, I want something quite capable for the downhill.
FIFY " I mostly ski the east coast, Quebec actually, so pretty hard packed snow, ice and not a lot of powder. I was looking a (88-96 ) 68-76 waist width"

88 cm to 96 cm waist skis might well be the ticket for touring on untouched snow; I wouldn't know because I don't do much touring. However, for resort skiing on typical Quebec snow and ice you would be much better equipped with a narrower ski.

Face it! you need a quiver.

TS
S

Saraz

Skier
FIFY " I mostly ski the east coast, Quebec actually, so pretty hard packed snow, ice and not a lot of powder. I was looking a (88-96 ) 68-76 waist width"

88 cm to 96 cm waist skis might well be the ticket for touring on untouched snow; I wouldn't know because I don't do much touring. However, for resort skiing on typical Quebec snow and ice you would be much better equipped with a narrower ski.

Face it! you need a quiver.
Thanks for the answer, I totally respect your opinion, but honestly I had a borrowed Head kore 93 for the season, didn’t have any problems with it. I find it was great for the conditions I skied in! Also, edge grip on ice isn’t the most important think I’m looking for in my skis, far from that. Although, if you think I need a quiver, I look more in depth to see what I can do!

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
You are light, so you don't need a lot of width for decent float in fresh snow. I would drop your width range to 80-90mm. And for eastern skiing, I don't quite understand not having edge grip on ice as important. Lots of good skis that should work for you: Enforcers, Mindbenders, Brahmas, etc.

I would also be suggesting 2 skids, a narrow carver plus a wider ski for the trees, but it sounds like carving arcs on the groomers doesn't interest you.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
I had no problem skiing my 108s on hard snow one day last year, but it was only one day, because I also have a Fischer Worldcup SC, which works much better in those conditions. To put it bluntly, you don't know what you are missing. Rent a Fischer WC SC, Head Magnum, or a SL ski next season and find out.
Carving skis are an addictive drug. Yes, I'm an enabler.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Most here will say that there is no such thing as a one ski quiver. Having said that I think you can get an 80 like the Head Titan and it should do most of what you want.

TS
S

Saraz

Skier
You are light, so you don't need a lot of width for decent float in fresh snow. I would drop your width range to 80-90mm. And for eastern skiing, I don't quite understand not having edge grip on ice as important. Lots of good skis that should work for you: Enforcers, Mindbenders, Brahmas, etc.

I would also be suggesting 2 skids, a narrow carver plus a wider ski for the trees, but it sounds like carving arcs on the groomers doesn't interest you.
Perfect thanks a lot for the answer. I’m going to look more in the 80-90 mm width. Sorry I wasn’t clear, it’s not that it’s not important, it’s just that a value more versatility and maneuverability for trees, it’s sure that if I can have a middle ground of maneuverability and edge grip on ice I’ll be interested. Also, yes, I know I would be better with two pairs, but I’m quite young, and don’t have the money for it right now ahah, but later I will certainly have a narrow carver! I still like carving on groomers, just less than tree skiing and touring!

Last edited:
TS
S

Saraz

Skier
I had no problem skiing my 108s on hard snow one day last year, but it was only one day, because I also have a Fischer Worldcup SC, which works much better in those conditions. To put it bluntly, you don't know what you are missing. Rent a Fischer WC SC, Head Magnum, or a SL ski next season and find out.
Carving skis are an addictive drug. Yes, I'm an enabler.
Yeah I mean you are convincing ahaha, I might demo some carving skis next year, but I certainly want a versatile all mountain first!

TS
S

Saraz

Skier
Most here will say that there is no such thing as a one ski quiver. Having said that I think you can get an 80 like the Head Titan and it should do most of what you want.
Yeah, I know it’s quite hard to have a one ski quiver, especially in my situation, but I’m gonna make something work. Thanks a lot!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yeah I mean you are convincing ahaha, I might demo some carving skis next year, but I certainly want a versatile all mountain first!
If you ARE only going to have one ski and ski in deep snow amongst the trees, you probably should get an 80 mm to 90 mm waisted rockered ski. It takes a lot of skill to ski a SL ski in those conditions, and if you don't have that skill it will beat you up. Even if you do have the skill, the shorter SL skis won't have a big enough snow platform to work well in deep snow at anything except very slow speeds, and most of those skis need some speed to work well.

TS
S

Saraz

Skier
My buddy was very happy with Ripstick 88 last year with Shift binding last year as his one ski quiver for front, side and back country. He was very happy with the combo.
That’s really cool because it’s one of the combos I’ve looked at a lot! Glad to see it works. Thanks for your answer!

TS
S

Saraz

Skier
If you ARE only going to have one ski and ski in deep snow amongst the trees, you probably should get an 80 mm to 90 mm waisted rockered ski. It takes a lot of skill to ski a SL ski in those conditions, and if you don't have that skill it will beat you up. Even if you do have the skill, the shorter SL skis won't have a big enough snow platform to work well in deep snow at anything except very slow speeds, and most of those skis need some speed to work well.
Perfect thanks a lot for your answer, indeed SL skis would not be ideal at all. I know a ton of 80/90 mm waisted rockered skis, but would you have your own suggestion?

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm biased because I haven't tried a lot of modern skis but I'm currently using a Kore 93 as my OSQ for Eastern and Western skiing. It is light and stiff with a relatively short radius sidecut. I have found it to be quite versatile only really getting thrown by heavy refrozen crud due to lack of mass to bull through. If you're looking to use it for touring it, or the Kore 87 could be a good fit.

TS
S

Saraz

Skier
I would probably go with the Elan Ripstick mentioned above (I liked their wider model as a compromise for much softer snow out west (way way out west on Vancouver Island), but I haven't really explored that category too much; I'm more of a quiver guy.
Alright thanks a lot!

TS
S

Saraz

Skier
I'm biased because I haven't tried a lot of modern skis but I'm currently using a Kore 93 as my OSQ for Eastern and Western skiing. It is light and stiff with a relatively short radius sidecut. I have found it to be quite versatile only really getting thrown by heavy refrozen crud due to lack of mass to bull through. If you're looking to use it for touring it, or the Kore 87 could be a good fit.
Thanks for your response! I’ve skied the kore 93 actually, and loved it, certainly on my list! Have you skied it in the powder a bit? If yes how does it perform?

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
What size did you ski the Kore? I found it to be soft at 171, and too long at 180. I don't think I would tour on 180, or ski in tight trees.

TS
S

Saraz

Skier
What size did you ski the Kore? I found it to be soft at 171, and too long at 180. I don't think I would tour on 180, or ski in tight trees.
I skied the 171, I think it’s better for me.

Sponsor

Staff online