• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

East coast one ski quiver

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
My $.02 - the Stockli Stormrider series is not budget friendly but is actually a reasonable choice for a 50-50 setup from a weight perspective and would be at the top of my personal demo list if I wanted something like this (instead of having 10 skis).

For the bindings, I think Blister’s take is that the Duke is a somewhat better alpine binding but a somewhat worse touring binding than the Shift. This seems likely to be correct to me. I have personal experience with the Shift, it’s got some fiddle factor issues generally and I had some release consistency issues (which could be entirely down to not having the binding adjusted correctly but neither I nor many shop techs seemed able to fix it). The duke is heavier and seems more fiddly to use, though perhaps not set up.

I ultimately swapped to a pin for a dedicated touring set up but I think that’s a bad choice for a ski you plan to use in resort. Just trying to give you a sense of the trade offs (the down on pins is appreciably worse for me but on balance I have no great temptation to swap back on a dedicated touring ski).

TS
S

Saraz

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Yea, I figure as much. I got maybe 10# on you. I think it sucks on groomers at 171, but good in moguls and trees
thanks a lot for your opinion. Yeah that’s why the 171 better in trees, and moguls. Actually, on groomers I thought they were good, certainly not as good as you can get, but still great.

TS
S

Saraz

Skier
My $.02 - the Stöckli Stormrider series is not budget friendly but is actually a reasonable choice for a 50-50 setup from a weight perspective and would be at the top of my personal demo list if I wanted something like this (instead of having 10 skis).

For the bindings, I think Blister’s take is that the Duke is a somewhat better alpine binding but a somewhat worse touring binding than the Shift. This seems likely to be correct to me. I have personal experience with the Shift, it’s got some fiddle factor issues generally and I had some release consistency issues (which could be entirely down to not having the binding adjusted correctly but neither I nor many shop techs seemed able to fix it). The duke is heavier and seems more fiddly to use, though perhaps not set up.

I ultimately swapped to a pin for a dedicated touring set up but I think that’s a bad choice for a ski you plan to use in resort. Just trying to give you a sense of the trade offs (the down on pins is appreciably worse for me but on balance I have no great temptation to swap back on a dedicated touring ski).
Thank you for your answer! Yeah I know stöckli skis were expensive, but I don’t really know the stormriders, I’m going to look them up. As for the bindings, yeah a dedicated touring binding would not be ideal because I ski resorts. Thank you for the clarifications on duke pt vs shift, really helpful. Can you still take little jumps with the shift? I’m not talking big cliff fall, just little jumps. Thanks again!

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thank you for your answer! Yeah I know stöckli skis were expensive, but I don’t really know the stormriders, I’m going to look them up. As for the bindings, yeah a dedicated touring binding would not be ideal because I ski resorts. Thank you for the clarifications on duke pt vs shift, really helpful. Can you still take little jumps with the shift? I’m not talking big cliff fall, just little jumps. Thanks again!

I think, assuming Shifts are set up correctly, drops should be no issue. I can’t remember where I saw it but one thread posited the pre-release problems I and some others have had could be linked to being bigger people (200 + lbs) in addition to the setup being a bit hard to get right.

Really in terms of snow feel the Shift is (other than release problems) basically the same as most alpine bindings. If they work for you (they work well for many people, including Mrs. Analyst) there is no reason not to use them. I think the idea the Duke PT might be better in bounds is partly conjecture plus fewer complaints from people like me about pre-release (though maybe that’s because fewer people tried it!).

Honestly both the Duke PT and Shift do the job well. Just slightly different trade offs.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
thanks a lot for your opinion. Yeah that’s why the 171 better in trees, and moguls. Actually, on groomers I thought they were good, certainly not as good as you can get, but still great.
I still think my buddy's setup of Ripstick 88 with Shift will do the job nicely at a price that's within reach. He's 5'9, 190#. Never had a pre-release and ski hard.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’ve got some Salomon QST 92’s set up with some Marker Kingpin 10’s. Not light (1850g per ski, plus binding) but not heavy either. A good all around ski.

I think your thinking is fine. You’ve also skied the Kore (lighter, stiffer). The Fischer Ranger Free 94 would be good too. DPS something or other 90...all in your wheel house.

Yes around this width does give up something on firm snow, but it covers it ok, and is then better off piste, in trees etc which is presumably where your AT focus will be.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
You're going to need 2 skis for here in Quebec. My current quiver is Rossi Hero ST Ti and Nordica Santa Anna 88's.
And I just sold a pair of Atomic Vantage 93, which would have just perfect for a touring binding. I was thinking about doing that with them, but decided to just make them gone.

I only skied the SA's x2 this year. Too much ice for them.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Armada Declivity 88 (new for next year, carbon instead of titanal) or 92
Salomon QST 92
Fischer Ranger 94 FR
Black Crows Mirus could be a pretty wild setup
Line Sick Day 88 or 94
Obviously you like the Head Kore, why over think this? That's a good choice.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Saraz , Mike Thomas and BMC have good comments, for sure. Some of the people chiming in here do not tour and otherwise don't seem to be listening very well, so make sure to consult your gut and remember this advice is worth what you paid for it. Good luck!

TS
S

Saraz

Skier
I think, assuming Shifts are set up correctly, drops should be no issue. I can’t remember where I saw it but one thread posited the pre-release problems I and some others have had could be linked to being bigger people (200 + lbs) in addition to the setup being a bit hard to get right.

Really in terms of snow feel the Shift is (other than release problems) basically the same as most alpine bindings. If they work for you (they work well for many people, including Mrs. Analyst) there is no reason not to use them. I think the idea the Duke PT might be better in bounds is partly conjecture plus fewer complaints from people like me about pre-release (though maybe that’s because fewer people tried it!).

Honestly both the Duke PT and Shift do the job well. Just slightly different trade offs.
Perfect! Thanks a lot, that was really helpful. Appreciate it!

TS
S

Saraz

Skier
I still think my buddy's setup of Ripstick 88 with Shift will do the job nicely at a price that's within reach. He's 5'9, 190#. Never had a pre-release and ski hard.
That’s great, thanks a lot! Good to know you can ski hard on shifts. It’s surely on my list!

TS
S

Saraz

Skier
I’ve got some Salomon QST 92’s set up with some Marker Kingpin 10’s. Not light (1850g per ski, plus binding) but not heavy either. A good all around ski.

I think your thinking is fine. You’ve also skied the Kore (lighter, stiffer). The Fischer Ranger Free 94 would be good too. DPS something or other 90...all in your wheel house.

Yes around this width does give up something on firm snow, but it covers it ok, and is then better off piste, in trees etc which is presumably where your AT focus will be.
Yeah that’s right I wanted a ski in this width for exactly what you said! Thanks for understanding. As for the fisher ranger 94fr, they are surely on my list, for the dps’ I don’t really know them, going to look them up. You told me you ski the qst’s, would these be great for me? Thanks again for your response!

Reactions: BMC
TS
S

Saraz

Skier
You're going to need 2 skis for here in Quebec. My current quiver is Rossi Hero ST Ti and Nordica Santa Anna 88's.
And I just sold a pair of Atomic Vantage 93, which would have just perfect for a touring binding. I was thinking about doing that with them, but decided to just make them gone.

I only skied the SA's x2 this year. Too much ice for them.
Thanks for your response, I understand 2 skis would be ideal, but I’m going to start with one pair, and after, I’ll buy another one!

TS
S

Saraz

Skier
T
Armada Declivity 88 (new for next year, carbon instead of titanal) or 92
Salomon QST 92
Fischer Ranger 94 FR
Black Crows Mirus could be a pretty wild setup
Line Sick Day 88 or 94
Obviously you like the Head Kore, why over think this? That's a good choice.
Thanks a lot for the response, really appreciate it! I know the kore would make a great option, it’s just that im always over thinking when it comes to buying something ahaha! Also, I just wanted to know if I missed other options. Thanks again for your suggestion! I’m going to look those armada 88, didn’t know they were doing that next year!

TS
S

Saraz

Skier
@Saraz , Mike Thomas and BMC have good comments, for sure. Some of the people chiming in here do not tour and otherwise don't seem to be listening very well, so make sure to consult your gut and remember this advice is worth what you paid for it. Good luck!
Thanks a lot! I surely agree with you. I’m going to follow my gut!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Very true. Also, some people don't know the conditions in Quebec. Ideally you should value more highly advice from people who have experience skiing Quebec resorts (me) and touring in Quebec (not me).

I can without hesitation tell you that spending the better part of a day making your way through the back country to get back to the resort with antique SG skis and alpine boots really, really sucks. ogwink

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
The RS sounds like a great ski but I balk at the idea of specific left and right skis, especially for touring. If I damage an edge, as I've done in the past, I want the option to make it the outside and keep skiing them.

TS
S

Saraz

Skier
Very true. Also, some people don't know the conditions in Quebec. Ideally you should value more highly advice from people who have experience skiing Quebec resorts (me) and touring in Quebec (not me).

I can without hesitation tell you that spending the better part of a day making your way through the back country to get back to the resort with antique SG skis and alpine boots really, really sucks. ogwink
That’s true, Quebec conditions can be pretty unique. Yeah, I guessed so! Thanks again!

TS
S

Saraz

Skier
The RS sounds like a great ski but I balk at the idea of specific left and right skis, especially for touring. If I damage an edge, as I've done in the past, I want the option to make it the outside and keep skiing them.
That’s true! I didn’t think about it. Surely going to keep that in mind. Thank you!

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think RS left and right edges concern are overblown. From everything I see and read, it’s not like there are no edges on the inside. I toured a lot in the Dacks. My wife snowboards, so my friend cut her old board and that DIY split board has no inside edges. She toured the Dacks with us all over. Honestly, if you damage your edges bad enough, you probably in survival mode, equipment be damn. I broke my dynafit binding while crossing a creek below Marcy Dam, i used duck tape and ski strap and hobble the rest of the way 3-4 miles out.

Sponsor