• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fun Car...

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Have been detailing boring SUVs and not many Fun cars lately.
Today I finally detailed one-A 2021 Audi TT RS. Good friend of my white Bentley customer, so we did it in his great garage space. He actually just sold this house(sold in 2 days for $5.3 Million!) so I’ll be at his new place next year.

View attachment 179916
View attachment 179917 View attachment 179915
The wheel/tire package on that would be un-drivable on the roads that I use here. I just don't understand why they would put them on a road car.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
The wheel/tire package on that would be un-drivable on the roads that I use here. I just don't understand why they would put them on a road car.
Why do you say that? Stock wheels on '21 TTRS are 9x19/9.5x19 and stock tires are 245/35/19 (square set up on staggered wheel sizes). I have that same wheel and tire size on my very similar RS3 (same platform), which I run year round including on ski trips with a set of Michelin Pilot Alpins. This is in Colorado, and we have very crappy roads. Works just fine in my view.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
<- was totally expecting something with a Lefty fork in that garage. ;)

Opposite, for me. In my experience, garages like that, and cars like that, are usually associated with 10-year old REI bikes fitted with padded seat covers.

Note that I said usually! :ogbiggrin:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
See no London roads on that CAA list so I guess that TT RS can run it’s low profile tires and 20” wheels in peace! Haha
His winter set I know are less aggressive in 18” with higher profile tires which should handle pot holes better.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
That’s just the young kids mountain bike and there is an okay hybrid bike for the mom under it.

Have a few customers with Cervello(always Cervello and usually R5 with dura race) bikes with padded seats and non clip in pedals. Shake my head as I can imagine them going into the local shop and asking for “their best bike” after deciding to bike twice a year.

Have a few customers that masters race and have quivers of race bikes and a huge assortment of carbon wheels. No padded seats there!

Reminds me of a pic I took in a local bike shop about 9 years ago of the best price tag ever.
E3725E27-D6FE-46CF-8357-02132AE86D3B.jpeg

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Why do you say that? Stock wheels on '21 TTRS are 9x19/9.5x19 and stock tires are 245/35/19 (square set up on staggered wheel sizes). I have that same wheel and tire size on my very similar RS3 (same platform), which I run year round including on ski trips with a set of Michelin Pilot Alpins. This is in Colorado, and we have very crappy roads. Works just fine in my view.
A run 17's with 45 series summer tires and that is bad enough. For the winter I go down to 16's w/55 series tires and still have some teeth clenching moments. Personally 19's and 20's are completely unusable here unless you like buying expensive tires AND rims. I sure hope the current (aesthetic) reverses soon. I don't even think they look good.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A run 17's with 45 series summer tires and that is bad enough. For the winter I go down to 16's w/55 series tires and still have some teeth clenching moments. Personally 19's and 20's are completely unusable here unless you like buying expensive tires AND rims. I sure hope the current (aesthetic) reverses soon. I don't even think they look good.
I also think the low profile tires look stupid. And they are fragile.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
My favorite bike shop signage:

View attachment 180078
When I worked at the stereo store while car detailing part time, we used to routinely make up written bills for the husbands stereo purchases.
One day we were talking about this one time in the front of the store when I happened to be helping a female customer that sold very high end kitchen supplies. She started laughing when hearing stories of fake bills as she did the same when wives bought $6k worth of pots and pans from her and the wives would show $500 receipts to their husbands….. :roflmao:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I worked at the stereo store while car detailing part time, we used to routinely make up written bills for the husbands stereo purchases.
One day we were talking about this one time in the front of the store when I happened to be helping a female customer that sold very high end kitchen supplies. She started laughing when hearing stories of fake bills as she did the same when wives bought $6k worth of pots and pans from her and the wives would show $500 receipts to their husbands….. :roflmao:

Priceless! My other favorite was at a custom ti bike builder's shop. A customer was picking up his bike, calmly counting out one hundred dollar bill after another. I couldn't resist asking. He said to effect "Oh, I've been caching this away for three months. As far as my wife is concerned, the $1,000 deposit was the total price of the bike". Kudos to that guy!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
This came up on my YouTube feed and thought it was interesting how much automation is used and the precision of the assembly line.

That level of automation started life being specific to Japan because once their currency value priced them out of export markets, they had to reduce in-country assembly volume to feed the domestic market only. Meaning fewer workers and higher price per produced unit but versatile tooling that can be used on many models.

EDIT: there are some fantastic Toyota videos out there, some even set to music.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The embargo for the new Type R first drives is over today. I'd love one, not sure about $44K plus markup, yikes.

Not bad for a 4-cylinder front wheel drive car, but I like my '08 C6 better; the C6 is faster, quicker, rear-wheel drive and sounds better too.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not bad for a 4-cylinder front wheel drive car, but I like my '08 C6 better; the C6 is faster, quicker, rear-wheel drive and sounds better too.
The Civic Type R's party trick is that in spite of it having a four-cylinder and front wheel drive it will beat your Corvette around a track. :ogbiggrin:

And, it has four doors, a usable back seat, a hatchback, and makes a great ski car.

Sponsor

Staff online