• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Good Universal Wax - Hertel? Or something else?

LabMan

No Turns
Skier
I'm nearing the end of a bar of Hertel Super Hot Sauce which is the wax I've been using for the last 4-5 years. I use it for everything, including an unscraped storage layer before putting the skis away for the summer. Before buying another bar of Hertel, I thought I'd check-in and see if there is anything new on the market I'm unaware of.

I typically only get a half dozen or so days on snow per year and wax my skis 2-3 times at most. Usually one trip out west per year and then a few days on a local bump in MN with much harder/icier snow. Given the low number of skier days, a universal, all-temp, wax is appealing to me for simplicity's sake. Something that provides decent performance in a potential early season, 100% manmade snow day in MN, Colorado powder, and a potential refreeze to slush day in the MN spring. In my experience, Hertel works pretty well across the board.

Anything you recommend that as a better choice than Hertel?
I HOPE you have continued to use Hertel wax........after my 56th season on skis, I have tried them all and I have tuned my own skis since I was in HS, 45+ years ago.........I am more a fan of his Racing 739 on all of my boards. Nothing compares to longevity and speed.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Since Hertel is/was going out of business, the OP's question will become moot (not mute). I stocked up last winter on some of the last inventory. The Hertel website is still up, but virtually everything is out of stock.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Since Hertel is/was going out of business, the OP's question will become moot (not mute). I stocked up last winter on some of the last inventory. The Hertel website is still up, but virtually everything is out of stock.

From Terry's emaillist from where he sends out random updates, as of 6/25/21, he said inventory on Amazon. So get it while you can at amazon.

The email also indicated that the product labeled as "All Temperature Snowboard wax" is his stuff and I think he means it is Super Hot Sauce. But it may come not retail packaged and reviews say it might be in random sizes.

Last edited:

WAXMAN

Booting up
Skier
This is Terry Hertel. I have been reading your post, and I find one misunderstanding most seem to need help understanding. It is the temperature you apply the wax at. Hertel is F, They are C. Hertel is poured at 190 F to 200 Fahrenheit. If it smokes, you are changing the formula. I recommend scraping warm and mashing the wax into the pours. Then High buff. Go have fun. If you are rubbing it on, I find rubbing edge to edge. Then Scrape and high buff. At Hertel, we use wax to transfer the right ingredients to the base. The last time we used Fluoro was in 1994, and it was never PTFE. If you are concerned about Fluorocarbon they use, go to Google and key in Fluorocarbon. Some of you mention Dominator, who was caught asking my employees in the 80s how to make wax. One Ball was pressing my supplier Pacific Coast Chem for my formulas. Now Swix owns Toko, and I think Dom. On Amazon, you will find over seven companies using my trademark, All Temperature Snowboard wax. Somebody is trying to liquidate my marketing tool. Thank all of you for using Hertel waxes. We continue to have something they don't and never will.

WAXMAN

Booting up
Skier
From Terry's emaillist from where he sends out random updates, as of 6/25/21, he said inventory on Amazon. So get it while you can at amazon.

The email also indicated that the product labeled as "All Temperature Snowboard wax" is his stuff and I think he means it is Super Hot Sauce. But it may come not retail packaged and reviews say it might be in random sizes.
NOT, going out of business as the business is moving and we will have some new stuff, and I will continue to share WAXFAX with you. We continue to win races by 4 to 12 seconds. They can't catch me. My site has been hacked, somebody has a set of stolen credit cards, they places orders and they come back. Amazon is research the issue. There is a lot more but the fact is we are growing stronger. Stay with us, we will continue to give you high quality.

Chenzo

Putting on skis
Skier
Imo Nanox training wax is the best all temp formula I’ve ever used. Application method is a bit unorthodox compared to other waxes, but benefits from a quicker application and removal. I almost exclusively infrared my gear nowadays, and just brush it out warm, then a cooled brushing. The only downfall is that Nanox does not play well with other waxes, and should be initially applied to a dry/clean base.

Toko all in one wax is a less expensive alternative that works adequately.

Swix MB77 can be really good in eastern manmade snow as well.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Imo Nanox training wax is the best all temp formula I’ve ever used. Application method is a bit unorthodox compared to other waxes, but benefits from a quicker application and removal. I almost exclusively infrared my gear nowadays, and just brush it out warm, then a cooled brushing. The only downfall is that Nanox does not play well with other waxes, and should be initially applied to a dry/clean base.
The white one? I remember it was quite a hard wax, quite hot to apply?

The black racing one was nice, but definitely not cheap :(

Chenzo

Putting on skis
Skier
When you say white one, you mean Nanox? The training wax comes in two variants, regular and extra hard. I find the regular formula to be easy to work with. The extra hard on the other hand is not the easiest to apply (similar to ch4 now known as polar). I only use the extra hard for snowkiting on our very abrasive lake ice. I believe it’s mostly intended for injected snow, or “very hard” snow.
With infrared, price of wax becomes moot. Although I’ve experienced not the best durability, ease of application and removal, coupled with very little wax used outweighs traditional waxing techniques imo.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I only use the extra hard for snowkiting on our very abrasive lake ice. I believe it’s mostly intended for injected snow, or “very hard” snow.
With infrared, price of wax becomes moot. Although I’ve experienced not the best durability, ease of application and removal, coupled with very little wax used outweighs traditional waxing techniques imo.

Please start thread with elaboration.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When you say white one, you mean Nanox? The training wax comes in two variants, regular and extra hard. I find the regular formula to be easy to work with. The extra hard on the other hand is not the easiest to apply (similar to ch4 now known as polar). I only use the extra hard for snowkiting on our very abrasive lake ice. I believe it’s mostly intended for injected snow, or “very hard” snow.
yah i think they had just one training wax when i was using it - must have been the hard one or "harder" than average. nice wax, just hard to apply.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I miss RaceWax all-purpose wax. It was dirt cheap at one time, which the red wax was great for hot-scraping. Then the white all-temp was durable enough for ice coast, I mean east coast conditions.

But glad I got a stock old FluoroMax all-temp on clearance while I still can.

Picked up a Toko Base Conditioner w/ Molybdenum at a local shop in Vermont a number of years ago.

But, I'm guilty of big corporate wax, from Swix since RaceWax stopped making their own to sell, usually using their "Biodegradeable UR" series wax, but picked up some of their PS wax to use.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
My go to wax is Hertel. All temp all winter and Spring Solution in the spring!

TooNice

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
The FC739 is my go to. I don't race but I have to deal with quite a lot of flat in one of my main resort in Japan. This season I tried some Purl (blue, yellow and graphite) since I had difficulty sourcing some large blocks of Hertel with the business changing hands and it is no longer possible to have it shipped from Amazon US and my verdict is.. I kinda like to combine their graphite with other things. When it is cold (not super freezing), I think their blue wax is fine. Spring condition, their yellow wax starts off well, but seem to dry out a lot faster than the FC739 does.

Question: has anyone tried to compare FC739 vs the Spring Solution during spring condition?

afadeev

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
My go to wax is Hertel. All temp all winter and Spring Solution in the spring!
Sadly, Hertel is all but going out of business. Sadly, because I've relied on Hertel for waxes for years.
I got this in the email yesterday:
Hertel Ski Wax
I have 32 SpringSolution and 13 Racing.
I do not know if it will be produced in the future. I tried selling Hertel but all I get is guys trying to buy it screwing me out of the money. When we got where it is time to pay, they try to use me as their bank.
WTF, I am 81 and they wish to pay me over five years. Since I just had a double bypass, they think I am going to Croke and they will get it for free.. All I can say is-----------

Hertel Ski Wax
10015 Byrne Avenue
Monta Vista CA 95014
United States​

Question: has anyone tried to compare FC739 vs the Spring Solution during spring condition?

I just ordered 2 bricks of Spring Solution a few weeks ago, so no first hand experience with that was.
FC739 is long lasting cold-weather wax. It would be my last choice for spring conditions.
Just about any all "all season" wax would be a better candidate for spring, other than FC739, IMHO.

HTH,
a

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've used FC739 as my go to wax, cold, warm, who cares.

Never had issues, if it becomes a one run race in warm I either use a quick rub of beeswax (or hotel soap for less than a 30sec blast) for bragging rights. Old school tricks rock.

If I was racing I would consider this as my base goto wax, and overlay more specific waxes that are temperature and conditions tested.

BTW I have a good stock of Fluoro Powder couple of lbs just in case I need a special mix. But I not racing so its just for bragging rights.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Sadly, Hertel is all but going out of business. Sadly, because I've relied on Hertel for waxes for years.
I got this in the email yesterday:
Hertel Ski Wax
I have 32 SpringSolution and 13 Racing.
I do not know if it will be produced in the future. I tried selling Hertel but all I get is guys trying to buy it screwing me out of the money. When we got where it is time to pay, they try to use me as their bank.
WTF, I am 81 and they wish to pay me over five years. Since I just had a double bypass, they think I am going to Croke and they will get it for free.. All I can say is-----------

Hertel Ski Wax
10015 Byrne Avenue
Monta Vista CA 95014
United States​

I just ordered 2 bricks of Spring Solution a few weeks ago, so no first hand experience with that was.
FC739 is long lasting cold-weather wax. It would be my last choice for spring conditions.
Just about any all "all season" wax would be a better candidate for spring, other than FC739, IMHO.

HTH,
a
I got the same email. I can't believe someone isn't grabbing this company up. If I was younger I'd be trying to find a backer. I doubt he's asking too much either.

Sponsor

Staff online