• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

heart

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Re cap.... I had a TIA post surgery late September. Today I had another one.

During a meeting with my financial planned my speech fell apart . Went to Albany Med and they did tests. I have recovered and they sent me home. The TIA was not related to the state of the economy or the markets.

I must say, this is worrying.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier

During a meeting with my financial planned my speech fell apart . Went to Albany Med and they did tests. I have recovered and they sent me home. The TIA was not related to the state of the economy or the markets.

Are you on any anticoagulants or anti-platelet therapy? Has an ultrasound been done of your carotid arteries?

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier

So, I'm guessing they took you off the Xarelto when they put in the Watchman? Or do they wait a bit before doing that? I thought it was clots that cause stroke? (I'm no doctor.) The Watchman only fills up one chamber where clots can form, I guess, so they are still forming where? You're convincing me not to get one of those things even more.

I'm still taking my Eliquis but don't plan to refill the RX when the bottle runs out, which it will soon. It's so €¥π•¥-ing expensive. They said I'm on the cusp of needing it, but I'm hoping between the weight loss and the CPAP that I can do without, at least for ski season. I need to really do some Part D shopping this week. I hit that coverage gap back in April and it was an eye opener. Still in it.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I'm still taking my Eliquis but don't plan to refill the RX when the bottle runs out, which it will soon. It's so €¥π•¥-ing expensive.
Eliquis might be cheaper in Canada from a pharmacy in Fernie, not that far from Whitefish.

I buy Eliquis from Costco (2 pills/day) and I think it costs me just over $100cad per month. B.C. has a drug reimbursement program but at my income level I have a $2000/year deductible and along with other meds, I will probably just reach the deductible threshold but not enough beyond it to get much of a reimbursement.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Eliquis might be cheaper in Canada from a pharmacy in Fernie, not that far from Whitefish.

I buy Eliquis from Costco (2 pills/day) and I think it costs me just over $100cad per month. B.C. has a drug reimbursement program but at my income level I have a $2000/year deductible and along with other meds, I will probably just reach the deductible threshold but not enough beyond it to get much of a reimbursement.
I just filled a brand new Eloquis script for my wife this week. It's $610 retail for 60 pills.. so about $10 per pill. She needs it for life (brain tumor survivor/clotting disorder).. but we can hop back to warfarin if the benefits/income scenario changes to make the E too expensive for us.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Are you on any anticoagulants or anti-platelet therapy? Has an ultrasound been done of your carotid arteries?

I am taking Xarelto since spring. After the Watchman was placed in September the doctors continued with the blood thinners due to the TIA which occured right after the surgery. Not sure what the game plan is for ski season.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier

I might save $150 over 3 months, but I'd have to drive to Fernie and back. I also have another even more pricey Rx that at least has improved my quality of life significantly. Eliquis worries me because of skiing. The other 8 months a year, fine. But if I'm 'on the cusp' I'll forgo it.

The doctor told me to take aspirin instead. Way way cheaper.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I might save $150 over 3 months, but I'd have to drive to Fernie and back. I also have another even more pricey Rx that at least has improved my quality of life significantly. Eliquis worries me because of skiing. The other 8 months a year, fine. But if I'm 'on the cusp' I'll forgo it.

The doctor told me to take aspirin instead. Way way cheaper.
Eliquis>Warfarin because there is an antidote available if you need emergency surgery. Warfarin takes a lot longer to clear. Probably should wear a medic alert bracelet so the ER knows you're on either in an emergency..

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Eliquis>Warfarin because there is an antidote available if you need emergency surgery. Warfarin takes a lot longer to clear. Probably should wear a medic alert bracelet so the ER knows you're on either in an emergency..
For accuracy, the effects of warfarin can also be reversed if needed. It’s just more complicated, as is the dosing.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
So, I'm guessing they took you off the Xarelto when they put in the Watchman? Or do they wait a bit before doing that? I thought it was clots that cause stroke? (I'm no doctor.) The Watchman only fills up one chamber where clots can form, I guess, so they are still forming where? You're convincing me not to get one of those things even more.

I'm still taking my Eliquis but don't plan to refill the RX when the bottle runs out, which it will soon. It's so €¥π•¥-ing expensive. They said I'm on the cusp of needing it, but I'm hoping between the weight loss and the CPAP that I can do without, at least for ski season. I need to really do some Part D shopping this week. I hit that coverage gap back in April and it was an eye opener. Still in it.
The doctors took me off Xarelto to do the proceedure. Then they put me on a liquid drip from a bag.

Not feeling great now.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
It's $610 retail for 60 pills.. so about $10 per pill.
On Medicare it's costing me $2.35 a pill, twice a day. $424 for three months. But add that to the Ajovy of $480-520 for three months. Plus my other meds that I used to bitch about their price until I got put on these two things. I just hit the catastrophic coverage number, so am ordering everything because it's firesale pricing at this point. Should get me through the first quarter of next year.

The first quarter of this year I was being whipsawed with medication changes. Really, doctors should start you out with ten day prescriptions so you don't end up with tons of unused bottles. Drives me nuts.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
For accuracy, the effects of warfarin can also be reversed if needed. It’s just more complicated, as is the dosing.
Home remedy (we have a CoaguCheck meter,... don' try this at hoe without one) A decent size serving of high vitamin K collard greens takes wife trom 10+ off the scale down to the 2-3 range in about 12 hours..

But, we've been self monitoring for over 20 years now.. Hospital process may or may not be similar to a big blast of vitamin K..

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Eliquis has a nice coupon program

Maybe you already know about it, but never hurts to mention it.
As with most, it doesn't cover Medicare. I "have coverage", but I fall into this massive Part D donut hole mid year. Because I am "covered" I am not eligible. At this point however, I've dug my way out of said donut hole and and buying it (but not using it) as a hedge for after ski season next year. It's cheap if you ever find your way out of the donut hole.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As with most, it doesn't cover Medicare. I "have coverage", but I fall into this massive Part D donut hole mid year. Because I am "covered" I am not eligible. At this point however, I've dug my way out of said donut hole and and buying it (but not using it) as a hedge for after ski season next year. It's cheap if you ever find your way out of the donut hole.
What's the donut hole?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
What's the donut hole?
There are 4 phases of Medicare Part D coverage: Deductible, Initial Coverage, Coverage Gap ("donut hole"), and Catastrophic. During the coverage gap you get a discourt on your drugs, but if they are not generics, your cost is still very high. Since Ajovy and Eliquis don't have generics yet, that meant a grand every quarter until I spent my way out of it into catastrophic.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
OK follow up 1 mostly good. EKG and lung function test results are not all that unusual for someone my age. Possible heart damage from eons ago but functioning well. I did finally win a bottle of Crestor though yay?

Gonna dot the i and cross the t with a check x-ray and stress test next. Wish me luck.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online