• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

heart

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The pain has been rough. They wouldn't give me much Morphien or oxy! Next time I will bring my own.

First day home the world was crisp and my mind seemed brighter. Let's see how it goes.
I'm afraid it's an international epidemic.....of addicts blaming their medical doctors. It goes along with the general trend in lack of personal responsibility. Combined with another trend of people who want to control others, the medical societies/associations are all too happy to go along and chastise doctors who buck the trend when the pendulum swings too far one way or the other.
Tylenol doesn't do much for me, nor does codiene (except suppress a cough), but it's been decades since will-power was not sufficient for me to suppress a cough). If I need a pain suppressant to get to sleep; I need one that works. Oxys work for me, even long-expired ones.

People who say you shouldn't ski, just don't understand. I get the same from my family. I no longer explain. I just go skiing, and they know not to bother arguing about it; they have learned to just accept it.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No amount of external clotting measures short of Giving the specific reversal drug for the specific DOAC will stop the bleed and even then it’s a neuro emergency that requires competent hospital care ASAP.
I know I haven't given enough weight to the difficult access to advanced care from a ski area.

My sports cardiologist emphasized this in a recent conversation. I'm fortunate to have him as one of my docs, as he's the primary author of this recent article about exercise at altitude with heart issues, which also discusses access to care:

That conversation reminded me of this old Rescue 911 episode that shows what a lousy place a ski area is for having a major medical event, in this case, a heart attack:

Copper (the scene of that rescue) is my home mountain and has relatively good access to care as far as a ski area goes. There's a clinic at the base staffed with an emergency doctor and access to a helicopter to get you to high-level care (weather permitting). I think I've relied on that more than I probably should, as that video shows how challenging it remains. Thank you, ski patrol! Ski areas are just the wrong place to have a major medical problem.... much better than the backcountry, though.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only thing that's changed in the 30 years since that video is Fight for Life is nearby in Frisco vs. needing to fly up from Denver. Pretty cool they had an AED available on the hill for that guy 30 years ago. He was also fortunate his event happened in one of the more accessible spots on the mountain for a rescue. The top of the American Flyer lift is next to a ski patrol hut and has green runs straight down to the base. It seems like if he was on the backside, he might not have made it.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I know I haven't given enough weight to the difficult access to advanced care from a ski area.

My sports cardiologist emphasized this in a recent conversation. I'm fortunate to have him as one of my docs, as he's the primary author of this recent article about exercise at altitude with heart issues, which also discusses access to care:

That conversation reminded me of this old Rescue 911 episode that shows what a lousy place a ski area is for having a major medical event, in this case, a heart attack:

Copper (the scene of that rescue) is my home mountain and has relatively good access to care as far as a ski area goes. There's a clinic at the base staffed with an emergency doctor and access to a helicopter to get you to high-level care (weather permitting). I think I've relied on that more than I probably should, as that video shows how challenging it remains. Thank you, ski patrol! Ski areas are just the wrong place to have a major medical problem.... much better than the backcountry, though.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only thing that's changed in the 30 years since that video is Fight for Life is nearby in Frisco vs. needing to fly up from Denver. Pretty cool they had an AED available on the hill for that guy 30 years ago. He was also fortunate his event happened in one of the more accessible spots on the mountain for a rescue. The top of the American Flyer lift is next to a ski patrol hut and has green runs straight down to the base. It seems like if he was on the backside, he might not have made it.
There was a guy on epicski (forget his name) who had an aortic dissection on the mountain at Squaw. He felt that the only reason he survived was because he was at Squaw. They helicoptered him out very quickly, it was repaired, and he was skiing again after a year or so.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
There was a guy on epicski (forget his name) who had an aortic dissection on the mountain at Squaw. He felt that the only reason he survived was because he was at Squaw. They helicoptered him out very quickly, it was repaired, and he was skiing again after a year or so.
I remember reading his story. Amazing save by all involved.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier

An update.

The blood thinner, Eloquis, had terrible side effects. They have switched me to Xarelto. Hoping that this change will work better for me.

At my check-up yesterday I was told that "Watchman" is going to be installed. It is a mechanical device that trapps blood clots then prevents them from going elsewhere in the body. It is installed in the heart. I may have come across as rude in that I requested sooner rather than later.

I do not like blood thinners, so this is good.

Meanwhile my skiing has suffered. Blood thinners have made me quite sick. But I do intend to go to Killington late March.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

An update.

The blood thinner, Eloquis, had terrible side effects. They have switched me to Xarelto. Hoping that this change will work better for me.

At my check-up yesterday I was told that "Watchman" is going to be installed. It is a mechanical device that trapps blood clots then prevents them from going elsewhere in the body. It is installed in the heart. I may have come across as rude in that I requested sooner rather than later.

I do not like blood thinners, so this is good.

Meanwhile my skiing has suffered. Blood thinners have made me quite sick. But I do intend to go to Killington late March.
I'm on Xaralto too. No ill effects, except that I bleed like a stuck pig anytime I cut myself. I have been skiing constantly all season, including some 6 day trips out west. Going again on Saturday to Banff for a week.
Hopefully you won't experience any ill effects

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another update. I missed the Killington gathering. My doctors told me no more skiing sometime in February. I told them I was going to ski. Sure enough, I had a nasty fall and smashed my head - concussion (but no brain bleed). The misshap was caused by vertico but the injury was a bad concussion. Blood thinners may have played a role.

I am moving towards the Watchman instellation, soon. Blood thinner will no longer be required.

Having had so many concussions, I need to be smart about future skiing decisions. When it comes to skiing all I can think about is the fun times and the greatness of the sport. Time to act like an adult!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I just found this thread.

I too am on Eliquis blood thinners and also Metoprolol to slow my heart rate. It stems from an episode of Atrial-Fibrillation last fall. My doc did not want me to ski but I compromised and delayed the start of the season until Jan.

On March 3, I had a bad fall on a blue run. I presume I caught an edge as I was knocked unconscious (for about 30 seconds according to the first aid report) and don't remember the crash or anything leading up to it. I came to when a skier/witness started to remove my ski. I was concussed as well and stayed that way until shortly after the ambulance ride to the hospital started.

I spent the night in the hospital with heart monitors and they did an MRI which revealed no internal bleeding, and 2 cracked ribs. There was no pain on deep breathing or laughing and just a little pain on coughing.

That ended the ski season for me.

2 weeks ago they had me wear a heart monitor for 23 hours...I haven't heard back from my doctor, so no news is good news.

I am scheduled for an echo cardiogram this week and and MRI in a couple of weeks.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier

I too am on Eliquis blood thinners and also Metoprolol to slow my heart rate. It stems from an episode of Atrial-Fibrillation last fall. My doc did not want me to ski but I compromised and delayed the start of the season until Jan.

On March 3, I had a bad fall on a blue run. I presume I caught an edge as I was knocked unconscious (for about 30 seconds according to the first aid report) and don't remember the crash or anything leading up to it. I came to when a skier/witness started to remove my ski. I was concussed as well and stayed that way until shortly after the ambulance ride to the hospital started.

I spent the night in the hospital with heart monitors and they did an MRI which revealed no internal bleeding, and 2 cracked ribs. There was no pain on deep breathing or laughing and just a little pain on coughing.

2 weeks ago they had me wear a heart monitor for 23 hours...I haven't heard back from my doctor, so no news is good news.

I am scheduled for an echo cardiogram this week and and MRI in a couple of weeks.

That sounds alot like me! You were actually knocked out. Mine was just a serious head slam on the ice.

I went to Bennington (Southern Vermont Hospital) - they did a CAT scan not an MRI - no brain bleed.

I wore a heart monitor for two weeks, but my doctor called me back suddenly due to the data that was being received at his office. (this was before Eliquis and Xaltro).

I am excited to get my Watchman installed - hope it works. But that still leaves the head bangs and vertigo to be dealt with.

DanoT, keep us informed. Good luck.

Robertito

Getting on the lift
Skier

Contact your doctor. Be proactive. My wife’s gynie missed a test result, and that turned out to be a big deal.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I joined the Coumadin ski club today. :ogbiggrin:

I got a little hardware upgrade that requires anticoagulation:

I'm doing great and already up in the chair eating dinner!

Posaune

sliding
Skier

Welcome to the club. It's not nearly as bad as some will make it out, just be regular in your habits.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Update: Three days out, I'm doing much better than expected recovering from surgery. They've removed all the drains, lines, catheters, wires, and associated hardware.

I'm just waiting for my INR to reach the therapeutic range, and it's not close, so I might be here a while waiting. Super grateful to be doing so well. :ogbiggrin:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm still an INR hostage. I was otherwise ready to go home two days ago. I'm still a long way from therapeutic. At 1.3 today. Target is 2-3.

I am going rather crazy. I need to stay out of prison, as it wouldn't suit me well. :ogbiggrin:

They thought I'd finally be sent home today and allowed to do outpatient anti-coag management. The boss man said no. He's worried it's been too long and I could get a blood clot, so I'm sitting here with a heparin drip to bridge. Not my ticket home. :(

I'm super grateful for how well I'm doing. It's just a bump in the road. Better safe than sorry. :thumb:

Here's a crazy tidbit about overcrowded hospital life these days: I was cleared for the step-down floor the day after surgery, yet I've been sitting here in the cardiothoracic ICU this whole time. There are no beds anywhere in this big-ass hospital. It sucks not having telemetry that would allow me to walk freely. Tough to complain, though, seeing what some of my neighbors are going through. :(

Sponsor