• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Helmet Vanity

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Lol. Nope. Not buying the marketing speak.
It flips up, remains attached = visor
Here’s your helmet with nicely integrated visor.

LOL, Nope, not buying the typical USAian move of using connotations for a definition. Feel free to tell a Murmillo or Thracian gladiator how his visor is supposed to flip up.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What would you call @tball 's accessory then? A brim? A bill?
I think Brim is most descriptive, and the brand name is Da Brim.

It's odd how "visor" is both:

visor definition - Google Search 2021-05-17 13-40-24.png

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's much better to look like happy tanned outdoor guy dork than just plain dork. You're winning that race, for sure. Not compared with tball, specifically, I hasten to add; just compared with your peers.
Would it help the comparison if I mounted my helmet camera along with my brim/visor? :ogbiggrin:

Reactions: mdf

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Kinda looks like his profile on the coin, just saying.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...accurate for its time but is now archaic...
Archaic? Maybe... but I still see visor used quite a bit. The NFL and NHL often refer to their eye shields on the helmets as visors. (And they don't even move, so maybe that's an incorrect usage.) And flight helmet sites still seem to use visor to mean the part you look through.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
flight helmet sites
Okay, you have me there. I didn't even realize there was such a thing as "flight helmets," let alone sites for them.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
(And they don't even move, so maybe that's an incorrect usage.)

Nah, the proper archaic usage is for things you look through that don't move - starting with the Corinthian helmet shown above, on through Roman Murmillo and Thracian gladiator helmets and onto medieval pot helmets. The flip up thing is post-Renaissance (bassinet and sallet).

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Nah, the proper archaic usage is for things you look through that don't move - starting with the Corinthian helmet shown above, on through Roman Murmillo and Thracian gladiator helmets and onto medieval pot helmets. The flip up thing is post-Renaissance (bassinet and sallet).
This is pretty much the archetypal Tuna post.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
To be clear, the one I'm currently in is not the Fury; it's the Luxe, from the 2018 Utah gathering raffle. The one I've got my eye on is the Fury, because I speculate that the way they've done the graphics will breakup the "battleship hull" outline.
I know that. The one that I wore after I was in the Luxe was the Fury which has a different look but still fits the head shape well.
Me in the Luxe
2089E0F0-73F4-4E80-92FF-4B8D8998E2DF.JPG

Me in the Fury, which is a little more of a round/freeride appearance but with a similar fit as the Luxe.
7EBB60C0-B0BB-41A0-9BBB-5BAA0B487884.JPG

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I know that. The one that I wore after I was in the Luxe was the Fury which has a different look but still fits the head shape well.
Cool. Thanks for the intel.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

James

Out There
Instructor
The good news-
As “bad” as you think this looks-
F9CDA15E-8630-4209-AE23-AEA241334D90.jpeg

I mean it’s vaguely ex-Austrian something, out for a run, carrying diapers and food in the back pack.

I tried to find a photo of Ovo helmets of the early 2000’s. A company from Woostah, they made one model that had leather on it and was a Mad Max/1930’s Football/Steampunk style.

Yours is way better than this-
52E98C85-A115-422D-A917-A42BD470D6A5.jpeg

8BEC7402-EBE2-42E9-8164-30A2507ACD17.jpeg

Which is a new low.
And I say that as one who has tried to hide behind a lift pole at Abasin in May to avoid the sun.
@tball , here’s your next “upgrade”-
D72DD3EE-CF69-4EBB-98ED-88B5AA0A7D6F.gif

James

Out There
Instructor
That's all me. :) I call them goggles, or the goggle part of the helmet, or the visor. All the same to me. If someone said "Hey, flip your goggles up" I wouldn't reply "I'm not wearing goggles", because a) that would make me sound like an a$$, and b) I'd know what they meant! :D
Well, I was giving you an out. But you went for the runaway truck ramp...

Ok, no one except (apparently) your doppelgänger, would say “flip your goggles up”.
3AB6E951-E8CE-4C00-AC99-800F9F65E240.jpeg

Goggles, really?

This isn’t complicated. Call it a shield if you want.
A0E0978C-21C5-47AB-97BD-0F1A6F04A0C5.jpeg

4B00DFA3-0346-4D49-B701-418C9BA287D3.jpeg

OSBE used in-mould technology to create the Light Visor, an extremely low weight helmet available in two adjustable size ranges (XSmall - Medium) and (Large - Extra Large). The integrated, removable visor provides enhanced performance on the slopes while the goggle strap on the back of the helmet allows the wearer to use goggles when needed.
———————————-

See, two separate things.
Cantunamunch is just reliving his boarding school days where he went from Latin class to Greek and Roman Mythology, then at lunch they battled with sticks and makeshift waste basket helmets out on the field.
Hmmm...memories.

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Cantunamunch is just reliving his boarding school days where he went from Latin class to Greek and Roman Mythology, then at lunch they battled with sticks and makeshift helmets out on the field.
Hmmm...memories.
Is that when I was doing bottle tokes in the parking lot?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok, no one except (apparently) your doppelgänger, would say “flip your goggles up”.
I get it... but I think because helmets with visors are still unusual on ski slops, it's easy to have "goggles" in mind and say it that way.

Sponsor

Staff online