• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me find a good first resort for a never-ever adult friend

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Palisades-Tahoe is the clear winner.
Not disagreeing but I’d put in an honorable mention for Grand Targhee. It looks as though they have beginner lesson friendly rates. Little to no advantage for either there. They also have a rather large network of pretty cool beginner trails with variety supporting an almost perfect never ever/beginner progression. I don’t know how that compares to PT. It is harder and more costly to get to GT than PT for the subject skier.

What separates GT from PT is the frequency of fresh snow, extended periods of cloud cover and below freezing temps leading to a really soft, fresh learning-friendly surface over an expanse that limits traffic and compaction. It’s also separated from where advanced skiers go…except on those limited occasions when the upper lifts are on weather hold. Advanced skiers like heading there for gentle fresh turns while they wait on the upper lifts.

Most visitors stay in Driggs at 6,100 feet. I’ve taken beginner friends to GT a number of times and it’s always led to big smiles.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I know. So, is that ‘low’?

Probably about the norm for most CO ski resorts. Maybe get in a day early, cruise town, get a massage, then hit it with skiing the next day.

To often I get students from Texas, they got in at 1:00AM, drank, then I have them in a class the next day. Thye are gassed at 1030.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Not disagreeing but I’d put in an honorable mention for Grand Targhee. It looks as though they have beginner lesson friendly rates. Little to no advantage for either there. They also have a rather large network of pretty cool beginner trails with variety supporting an almost perfect never ever/beginner progression. I don’t know how that compares to PT. It is harder and more costly to get to GT than PT for the subject skier.

What separates GT from PT is the frequency of fresh snow, extended periods of cloud cover and below freezing temps leading to a really soft, fresh learning-friendly surface over an expanse that limits traffic and compaction. It’s also separated from where advanced skiers go…except on those limited occasions when the upper lifts are on weather hold. Advanced skiers like heading there for gentle fresh turns while they wait on the upper lifts.

Most visitors stay in Driggs at 6,100 feet. I’ve taken beginner friends to GT a number of times and it’s always led to big smiles.

GT's beginner area is superb. Getting there can be hit or miss in winter. Will Jackson's airport be open? Will the pass be open? Flying into Idaho Falls and driving the hour + is probably a better option, but there is still a low pass to cross.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Probably about the norm for most CO ski resorts. Maybe get in a day early, cruise town, get a massage, then hit it with skiing the next day.
Reading that, I‘m not sure you read the OP’s concerns about elevation for a friend that lives in Texas.

When I asked if 8.7k ft was low, it was a rhetorical question.

To often I get students from Texas, they got in at 1:00AM, drank, then I have them in a class the next day. Thye are gassed at 1030.
I know. I worked for years on patrol at a ski area in NM with a base elevation over 10k ft. I spent a lot of time dealing with low-landers feeling terrible. Sometimes they didn’t even get out of the ticket window line or rental shop before they required assistance.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Or seeing their faces turn that pale shade of gray right before they head for the nearest bushes or I’m calling @pais alto right before they pass out!

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
GT's beginner area is superb. Getting there can be hit or miss in winter. Will Jackson's airport be open? Will the pass be open? Flying into Idaho Falls and driving the hour + is probably a better option, but there is still a low pass to cross.
Agreed. I’ve come in from Utah many times during blinding snow storms but I had a Tacoma four wheel. For a vacationer it might mean a properly snow adapted rental vehicle or an unplanned night in Idaho Falls.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And the big added advantage: PT ( aka Squaw, Olympic Valley) has acres of never ever beginner terrain on the top. Very few places get never ever or real beginner riders to the actual top of the mountain and have epic views of The Lake ( Tahoe) and vistas of the high Sierra.
Beaver Creek's Red Buffalo and newer McCoy Park areas are very beginner friendly. Red Buffalo is at the very top of BC Mountain close to 11,500' elevation. McCoy Park probably tops out at around 10K'. BC has some of the best beginner terrain in CO. For $496 BC has the adult 1st time full day group lessons for 3. It doesn't include lift tickets or rentals.

ADULT FIRST TIME FULL DAY GROUP 3 DAY SKI SERIES

LESSON DESCRIPTION​

Start your ski experience with fun, safety, and excitement! Our world-class instructors have helped countless brand-new skiers like you discover the joy of the sport and will make these three days memorable. Get 3 lessons for the price of 2 - book today to claim your spot! Three consecutive days of group lessons.
Lesson Details
  • Who: Adults (16+) First Time Skiers
  • What: 3 Full Day Group Lessons at the price of 2!
  • When: 10:00 AM - 3:30 PM
    • Please arrive and be ready to start by 9:45 AM
  • Where: Beaver Creek Village
    • Check-In: Beaver Creek Village – Group Lesson Center
    • Lesson: Beaver Creek Village – On the snow, just left of the Centennial Chair Lift.
Note: Multi-day lessons are consecutive days. 3 days for the price of 2! Third day is non-refundable. All lessons require lift access.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
And we don't know if the Texan is a good snow driver. A place with a good airport shuttle is a very good idea. Flatlanders driving over Teton Pass is not a good idea. The road from Idaho Falls can get bad from blowing and drifting snow.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And we don't know if the Texan is a good snow driver. A place with a good airport shuttle is a very good idea. Flatlanders driving over Teton Pass is not a good idea. The road from Idaho Falls can get bad from blowing and drifting snow.
Take a shuttle! Whether airport to resort, or JHMR to Grand Targhee. This applies to many other destinations, too. Do you really have any need to be driving yourself? And have you checked rental car rates lately? :geek::geek::geek::doh:

Tin Pants

Putting on skis
Skier
Copper has Ski and Ride University. It's a 3 day program for those that have never skied or boarded. No clue about the details for this season but in the previous years it included lessons, lunch, a parking pass for those 3 days, and a season pass for the rest of the season and a discount on the next season pass. It typically sells out really fast. I've had 4 family members do it and 3 completed it and loved it. 1 did not. They cover a lot of stuff. Those that did complete it were skiing the green runs comfortably at the end of the 3 days.
I concur about copper the best beginner terrain I have ever seen winter park is also good and has a good ski school

Tin Pants

Putting on skis
Skier
copper mountain has the best beginner terrain and progression I have ever seen Winter Park is also good with a good ski school

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Buttermilk at Aspen. Superb beginner hill. Book with Zinnia Cantrell. She is a protege of mine. Hyper-intelligent young lady. She is being privately funded to explore advanced physics unknowns for two years.

If she want’s something a bit closer - Purg. I’d be happy to work with her. She can stay in town which is 6,500’.

We are all having great snow years here.

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well… We’re talking about never evers here. Speaking as a former Deer Valley instructor, they aren’t taken to the places you mention. As far as the ski school is concerned those are advanced beginner runs.

Truth right there ^^^

As skiing enthusiasts we overrate how important terrain and specifically, a variety of terrain, is for beginners. The last two times I took never evers on a trip, I carefully selected mountains with a variety of green runs that I imagined they would love. (Copper Mountain and Park City) On both occasions, they skied maybe 2-3 different greens all trip.

Even thinking back to when I learned as an adult, it was at Keystone and I was more than happy to lap Schoolmarm all day.

Much more important for beginners, I’ve learned, is:

1. Scenery
2. A magical ski town
3. Lower crowds
4. Lower prices and an affordable ski school - mostly just because they’re not going to be skiing 99% of the mountain, so why pay a premium for extreme terrain?

Tbh, I’m not sure where best fits those, but I’m guessing it’s not the usual places we hardcore skiers recommend. I’m thinking somewhere like Sunlight or Brian Head.

Of the major “tier 1” resorts, Telluride or Buttermilk is probably the best fit for my never ever criteria.

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Old thread, but maybe along with a good ski school, good weather, scenery and a lot of fun easier ski runs? And interesting town to make the whole experience fun. And good grooming and usually decent snow quality?

Sun Valley? Banff? Bachelor?

Sponsor

Staff online