• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hips - Knees - Ankles

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And this one :)

B367F36F-2081-4BEB-8FE1-2BB4C90841F2.jpeg

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Her upper body is disciplined, not static. She most certainly is aligning everything to manage the forces involved while maintaining high functional mobility. I very much doubt she is thinking, ' I have to keep my upper body still.'

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I found this Deb Armstrong video and a skier named Scot Wiseman (on here?). Found it very good on explaining some of the importance/using of the hips for directing pressure on the skis edge and making it bite better and turn sharper. Crusial in racing, fun as hell when just playing around with the G-forces.

I haven’t been a great fan of Deb Armstrong’s instruction before but this piece is really very good. It’s absolutely spot on, clear and, if implemented, will move even a very good skier to a higher level. It is absolutely worth watching and absorbing. I’d even recommend it to several of the random Australian YouTube coaches who routinely show in their skiing some of the deficiencies demonstrated by Wiseman and so ably corrected by Armstrong.

James

Out There
Instructor
That is not what I see.
It was supposed to say both, i.e. skis out and body in, but the sentence was garbled so I chopped it off and left the body in part. Since that was the part unacknowledged. The middle looks mostly feet out. But the drone is getting far away.
But I think that the appearance of her upper body not moving is an illusion created from the continuous smooth movement, and that the torso stays pretty much in the same position. It’s not a flush.
She’s always moving towards the next gate. So where skis end up the gate before, and the direction and offset of the next are the big influences.

Go to the source video, play at half speed.

The beginning, at 12 secs, has a super g (?) training where there’s a lot of across/in movement, esp the last turn.

This is the second to third turn seen in the drone sequence. (There abouts)
Time goes from bottom to top in the images below:

657AC991-66B2-49C1-B37B-56B48CFFEADF.jpeg
38986650-721A-4197-986B-39B5EFB42923.jpeg

45A14F29-284C-49C6-A5E7-45BD183E8B61.jpeg
5A3597DF-F7B1-4C41-B067-7EA3269446CE.jpeg
AF77E13B-F7F2-4835-946C-41BCD3FFC415.jpeg
069B39EB-6E11-49B0-A646-E2A765D1F528.jpeg
4FAC72D3-FB13-4A67-8CE3-4C1158C6DF3C.jpeg

From about 7:33 in the video.

abcd

Putting on skis
Skier
Several years ago i posted the same picture asking about shoulders and i realized that my MA skills did not evolve much (if at all).
Is there any hip difference between the two? They look very similar but somehow the 2 images give very different "feel". I can pinpoint a tiny a-frame and a ski divergence for the green one. If he would move the knee a bit on the inside, would that fix the whole story or there is some subtlety in hip position that I can't see?

shoulders.png

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Several years ago i posted the same picture asking about shoulders and i realized that my MA skills did not evolve much (if at all).
Is there any hip difference between the two? They look very similar but somehow the 2 images give very different "feel". I can pinpoint a tiny a-frame and a ski divergence for the green one. If he would move the knee a bit on the inside, would that fix the whole story or there is some subtlety in hip position that I can't see?

View attachment 195895
Yeah, the green has too much weight on the inside ski and a framing, or because he's a.. framing.

Sherman89

Booting up
Skier
If green had the inside edge angle matching the outside edge angle which would involve the knee moving slightly to the inside of the turn then there would be no a framing. I do not see snow coming off the inside ski to indicate too much weight on the inside ski. I suspect that the skier on the left may be at a higher rate of speed indicated by higher edge angles and more inclination. The left skier has a more aggressive athletic stance.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I still think he does have to much weight on the inside ski he could fix this be having his feet closer together.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Green may be on the outside ski, but not over it. He's back and in, park and riding. Diverging tips evidence this. He's most likely thinking that high edge angles start by moving the hip inside. The inside ski is a dingle berry just dangling along for the ride. Angulation is happening at the lumbar, not top of femur... but its a moment in time, not an entire turn.

Last edited:

Sherman89

Booting up
Skier
Green may be on the outside ski, but not over it. He's baxk and in park and riding. He's most likely thinking that high edge angles start by moving the hip inside. The inside ski is a dingle berry just dangling along for the ride. Angulation is happening at the lumbar, not top of femur... but its a moment in time, not an entire turn.
Can you explain baxk?

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
shoulders.png

The green skier needs to move his inside foot closer to the outside leg when his goal is to make turns like this one. People are suggesting that he move his inside knee farther out, but if he does a lot of air will show from this camera angle between his upper legs. That's not something to work towards. The goal should be line and all the things needed to travel that line.

If he moves his inside foot over closer to the outside lower leg, the A-frame will go away. To keep the edge angles of both skis equal, he should assertively tip that inside ski onto its little toe edge as he moves the foot inward. At this point the inside ski is at a slightly lower angle that the outside ski.

His skis won't have as much horizontal separation across the snow as the red skier, but that's because he isn't going as fast.

He may think he will fall down onto that inside leg if he moves its foot over near that outside leg. Nope. He needs to just learn to do it and learn to stay balanced. The body will figure out how much angulation is needed. At his current speed, he won't need as much inclination in the shoulders as the faster red skier. If he did that, he probably would fall over.

His torso is more upright than the red skier. From this camera angle I can't confirm, but he is probably in the back seat. I'd suggest he assume a more aggressive upper body lean, as if he were trying to break a door in with his head. Well, not that aggressive, but it may feel that way to him at first.

Last edited:

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
View attachment 195932

The green skier needs to move his inside foot closer to the outside leg when his goal is to make turns like this one. People are suggesting that he move his inside knee farther out, but if he does that air will show between his upper legs. That's not something to work towards.

If he moves his inside foot over close to the outside lower leg, the A-frame will go away. To keep the edge angles of both skis equal, he should assertively tip that inside ski onto its little toe edge as he moves the foot inward. At this point the inside ski is at a slightly lower angle that the outside ski.

His skis won't have as much horizontal separation across the snow as the red skier, but that's because he isn't going as fast.

He may think he will fall down onto that inside leg if he moves its foot over near that outside leg. Nope. He needs to just learn to do it and learn to stay balanced. The body will figure out how much angulation is needed. At his current speed, he won't need as much inclination in the shoulders as the faster red skier. If he did that, he probably would fall over.

His torso is more upright than the red skier. From this camera angle I can't confirm, but he is probably in the back seat. I'd suggest he assume a more aggressive upper body lean, as if he were trying to break a door in with his head. Well, not that aggressive, but it may feel that way to him at first.
Sherman, i don't have the inclination to elaborate, but read this post, explained very well.

Sponsor