• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hoka OneOne

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OMG, Hoka has been upstaged ... and talk about a solution to a problem that doesn't exist!

50mm heel / 40mm toe Stack height :geek:

"very scary situation trying to take sharp turns and even slight turns just like little bends that the lake front path would take, I found myself slowing down quite a bit because I felt like my foot was sliding around quite a bit and rather then stepping on the litestrike pro (the sole) I was worried that I'd be stepping on the cellamesh (the upper, via the shoe capsizing) just because I felt like I was all over the place based on how tall this shoe is"

:geek:

Last edited:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Timely thread. I had just ordered some Hoka trail shoes because my feet have been killing me this past year. I have been in the shoes I’ve always used (not the same exact pair, but the same style … adidas terrex versions) but I seem to have crossed some sort of senior citizen threshold or something. I am out there buying cushy shoes in a size too big. (Yes, I also did that with my ski boots this past year, sorta like.) My toes are just screaming at me at the end of hikes now. Anyway, I wore them around the house for a while and decided they’re good to go, but damn are they expensive.
888AB32C-72AB-477D-808F-2E8DBFEC0955.jpeg

TS
Jenny

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Timely thread. I had just ordered some Hoka trail shoes because my feet have been killing me this past year. I have been in the shoes I’ve always used (not the same exact pair, but the same style … adidas terrex versions) but I seem to have crossed some sort of senior citizen threshold or something. I am out there buying cushy shoes in a size too big. (Yes, I also did that with my ski boots this past year, sorta like.) My toes are just screaming at me at the end of hikes now. Anyway, I wore them around the house for a while and decided they’re good to go, but damn are they expensive. View attachment 139582
I so relate to this . . . foot pain, senior citizen threshold, cushy shoes a size too big, expensive . . . sigh.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I seem to have crossed some sort of senior citizen threshold or something
As we age, we can lose fat deposits ... from our feet. [I don't think we actually lose them, but rather that it migrates elsewhere.] The effect is usually felt more in the ball of the foot or the heel, so it may not be the cause for you. I specifically go for more cushy shoes now just to avoid starting down a bad path.

I was reading one day about Bannock devices -- how exciting! -- and learned that your shoe length is not determined solely by the length of your foot, but also by the length from heel to ball of foot. The ball of the foot needs to align with the natural break in the shoe. So a person with shorter toes may need a longer shoe just to get the ball of their foot positioned properly. Fascinating that Al Bundy probably knew this and I didn't.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
As we age, we can lose fat deposits ... from our feet. [I don't think we actually lose them, but rather that it migrates elsewhere.] The effect is usually felt more in the ball of the foot or the heel, so it may not be the cause for you. I specifically go for more cushy shoes now just to avoid starting down a bad path.

I was reading one day about Bannock devices -- how exciting! -- and learned that your shoe length is not determined solely by the length of your foot, but also by the length from heel to ball of foot. The ball of the foot needs to align with the natural break in the shoe. So a person with shorter toes may need a longer shoe just to get the ball of their foot positioned properly. Fascinating that Al Bundy probably knew this and I didn't.

I actually sorta knew that! Only because many years ago someone at REI was helping me buy OTC orthotics and sized me by my arch length and told me trim the toes to fit. I have quite long arches, apparently, because I ended up in some men's size 14 orthotics, or thereabouts lol. Since then I have had mostly customs, but I've gone back to OTC for a few applications and I have to keep it in mind.

That said, my right foot is a mess as far as toes, because my two big toe surgeries have changed everything. My second toe is comparatively quite long due to the removal of bone in the two operations, and the big toe is now rotated inward and too close to the second toe, so that second toe is getting way more abuse than it's supposed to. Which just kinda moves on down the line.... Then I have been wearing heel lifts every day because it's my short leg, and I think that has been exacerbating the pressure on the front of my foot. (Plus that senior citizen threshold thingy, too....)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This thread makes me want to run, but I already swam and rode, and it's too hot now :(.
I can't decide if this thread makes me want to run or makes me want to run away. Especially the too-close-to-home senior thing.

NOTE: It appears, based purely on seat of the pants evidence, that paddleboarding - and therefore presumably surfing - is a great foot strengthener. At least, I know every time I go my feet are pleasantly pooped and warmed up.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Instead of running, I ordered yet another pair of trail shoes: the Topo Ultraventure. I plan to use them mostly for hiking. I have a pair of Topo Trailventure boots, and while the fit is fine for hiking (narrow heel, snug through mid foot, wide toe box), they make a weird noise with every step, and that gets annoying. Excited to try a different model of Topos, as I think they may be a sturdier alternative to Altras.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Instead of running, I ordered yet another pair of trail shoes: the Topo Ultraventure. I plan to use them mostly for hiking. I have a pair of Topo Trailventure boots, and while the fit is fine for hiking (narrow heel, snug through mid foot, wide toe box), they make a weird noise with every step, and that gets annoying. Excited to try a different model of Topos, as I think they may be a sturdier alternative to Altras.
^ everything you wrote about he Topo Ultraventure's fit, plus a healthy toe box height (as well as width), excellent for me. The good news as I suspect you'll soon find out for yourself is that although a great trail shoe, you can run in them. They are not nearly as stiff as a dedicated low hiking shoe, probably lighter too, and there is some spring (rebound) to the sole.
You'll like them:)

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
A brief cautionary tale:

I went all in and bought two pairs of Hokas (Bondi and Challenger). Actually bought four and returned two. A very athletic friend, same size, age, and activities, raved about them I was about to have a hip replacement and figured the extra cushioning would come in handy postop.

Wore them a a few times pre-op and boy did they hurt my low back. They must have changed my gait and and screwed up my glutes somehow, and it would take two days to recover. But with all the Hoka Hoopla I persevered, and wore them once a week until I could tolerate them. Body kind of adjusted, but never felt good. I know, stupid.

Fast forward 4 or 5 months, had the hip replacement, recovering slowly. Returned to work and sports too fast, which delayed recovery. But I noticed I had one or two really awful days a week, with pretty severe hip pain. Was doing lots of PT and different types of exercise most days (hike, bike, swim...) so I couldn't tease out the cause. I finally started a detailed diary and lo and behold, the pain only occurred on Hoka days at work. I walk pretty far on hard hospital floors. Told my very experienced PT, who said he had a very similar experience (not related hip replacement). Some of his patients have as well. Advised me to "give them away as fast as possible, so you won't be tempted to try them again!" He believes the altered gait tweaked the artificial hip stem somehow. Not good.

I have lost the Hokas and cut back my work hours. Feeling a lot better.

Bottom line is lots of people adore these shoes, but proceed with caution. All that cushioning, and maybe the ramp or some other factor, can change your stance and gait. It's not about the feet, it's about your knees, hips, and low back.

I'm still friends with my Hoka buddy. Haven't even told him yet. And would still take his advice. We are all built a little different.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
:huh:

:doh:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A brief cautionary tale:

I went all in and bought two pairs of Hokas (Bondi and Challenger). Actually bought four and returned two. A very athletic friend, same size, age, and activities, raved about them I was about to have a hip replacement and figured the extra cushioning would come in handy postop.

Wore them a a few times pre-op and boy did they hurt my low back. They must have changed my gait and and screwed up my glutes somehow, and it would take two days to recover. But with all the Hoka Hoopla I persevered, and wore them once a week until I could tolerate them. Body kind of adjusted, but never felt good. I know, stupid.

Fast forward 4 or 5 months, had the hip replacement, recovering slowly. Returned to work and sports too fast, which delayed recovery. But I noticed I had one or two really awful days a week, with pretty severe hip pain. Was doing lots of PT and different types of exercise most days (hike, bike, swim...) so I couldn't tease out the cause. I finally started a detailed diary and lo and behold, the pain only occurred on Hoka days at work. I walk pretty far on hard hospital floors. Told my very experienced PT, who said he had a very similar experience (not related hip replacement). Some of his patients have as well. Advised me to "give them away as fast as possible, so you won't be tempted to try them again!" He believes the altered gait tweaked the artificial hip stem somehow. Not good.

I have lost the Hokas and cut back my work hours. Feeling a lot better.

Bottom line is lots of people adore these shoes, but proceed with caution. All that cushioning, and maybe the ramp or some other factor, can change your stance and gait. It's not about the feet, it's about your knees, hips, and low back.

I'm still friends with my Hoka buddy. Haven't even told him yet. And would still take his advice. We are all built a little different.
As we've said in this thread. Many of us love them but its like any footwear, its personal. Glad you're finding your proper fit in what works for you.
Sorry that you went through so much pain while you were giving them a go.

Last edited:

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well ... my update ... lol. I have hiked a few times in my Hokas but I have also fallen -- hard -- twice in them, erasing any benefit I have gotten from my hikes. The big sticky soles apparently are difficult for me. The first time I tripped in a gas station lot, over one of those raised covers to the underground fuel storage tanks. It was the hardest, fastest fall of my life, and I landed directly on my new knee. I also got whiplash. I was in bed a couple days after this one, felt like I had been hit by a truck. Luckily I already had an appt with ortho, so x-rays showed I didn't jolt anything in the new joint, but it hurt like hell for a week.

I eventually got better after a couple weeks, and started hiking some again. Shoes were great. But one day, afterward, when I had not removed shoes, I got that big sticky sole tangled in the bedspread when I was walking past, and fell again, with the wrapped-up foot bent underneath me. Then the dreaded pop (three of them, in fact). Sprained my ankle and foot. Spent a few days on crutches. It's better but still swells up a bit if I am on it too much.

So basically I have lost almost 6 wk of my summer training time to rehabbing after falling off these shoes. Doh. I don't know if I will try them again, or just make sure I ONLY wear them when hiking. They are not lifestyle shoes for klutzy ol' me. (But, I wouldn't go skiing and then wear my ski boots around all day; surely I would fall then, too.) (That's some sort of rationalization, but maybe it makes sense.)

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Well, darn! Sorry about those falls, @SBrown!

I bought a pair of Bondis when walking all day on a hard floor at work was making my feet unhappy. Normally I only wear Altras for sneakers (and Keen for hiking boots, winter boots, and sandals). The first couple of days were great! But I began having this pain (all too familiar from ski boots) - the 3rd and 4th toe simultaneously hurting and feeling numb. I realize that makes no sense.

In reading another thread, I've come to believe it could be Morton's neuroma. The Hokas went back and were exchanged for a new pair of Altras.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Well ... my update ... lol. I have hiked a few times in my Hokas but I have also fallen -- hard -- twice in them, erasing any benefit I have gotten from my hikes. The big sticky soles apparently are difficult for me. The first time I tripped in a gas station lot, over one of those raised covers to the underground fuel storage tanks. It was the hardest, fastest fall of my life, and I landed directly on my new knee. I also got whiplash. I was in bed a couple days after this one, felt like I had been hit by a truck. Luckily I already had an appt with ortho, so x-rays showed I didn't jolt anything in the new joint, but it hurt like hell for a week.

I eventually got better after a couple weeks, and started hiking some again. Shoes were great. But one day, afterward, when I had not removed shoes, I got that big sticky sole tangled in the bedspread when I was walking past, and fell again, with the wrapped-up foot bent underneath me. Then the dreaded pop (three of them, in fact). Sprained my ankle and foot. Spent a few days on crutches. It's better but still swells up a bit if I am on it too much.

So basically I have lost almost 6 wk of my summer training time to rehabbing after falling off these shoes. Doh. I don't know if I will try them again, or just make sure I ONLY wear them when hiking. They are not lifestyle shoes for klutzy ol' me. (But, I wouldn't go skiing and then wear my ski boots around all day; surely I would fall then, too.) (That's some sort of rationalization, but maybe it makes sense.)
This is why I don't like them. So sorry to hear of your tumbles in these shoes. I bought a pair, wore them on the trail once, felt the lack of stability, and took them back. I'm so glad the seller agreed to give a refund.

The thick sole raises the foot higher up than other "athletic" shoes, severing the solid connection between the foot and the ground. The substance that separates the two is bouncy. The "cushion" is not worth the lost stability. Stiffer soles give me much more security when on the trail, and maintaining clearance when stepping over rocks and roots is easier when I'm wearing a shoe that has a normally thick sole.

Last edited:
TS
Jenny

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Ouch - that sucks. Glad your knee is ok, hope the ankle stops swelling.

I only wear these for everyday, don’t do any running/hiking in them. Sounds like it could be dangerous. That said, I still really, really like the cushy factor, but I think I’m going to have to sacrifice it for the orthotic room in the New Balance.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've yet to find anything better for me to wear walking around town, shopping etc., then Merrell Trail Glove minimalist run shoes. My go to shoes. Stretches everything out, so comfortable. Love those things!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Eek! :(

Sponsor

Staff online