• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hot As He!!

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
@LiquidFeet, you have made a mistake. I made 2 separate posts with post #171 being a satire video and post #172 that you quoted in your post #176 being an old but legit discussion on bulk water. You quoted from the wrong post, so make a correction or I will report your false post (I know you did not do this on purpose but it still needs to be corrected).

I made 2 completely separate posts in an effort to eliminate confusion but it didn't work.
Sorry for the confusion. Indeed I did quote the wrong blurb. My bad.

What I wrote (re-quoted below) applies to the other blurb, as you point out.
"At the bottom of that blurb from This is That is this disclaimer:
This is That is an award-winning satirical current affairs show that doesn't just talk about the issues, it fabricates them"

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking of water, and my earlier post of feast or famine, did everyone see the news/images of the flooding in Western Europe?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Speaking of water, and my earlier post of feast or famine, did everyone see the news/images of the flooding in Western Europe?

#floodplain

scott43

Skier
I mean..these places were built hundreds...thousands? of years ago. Sooo...is what it is. However.. I've seen places in Germany where the windows of houses are 3' above the water in the canal in which the house wall is also a canal wall.... 3' ain't much...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I mean..these places were built hundreds...thousands? of years ago. Sooo...is what it is. However.. I've seen places in Germany where the windows of houses are 3' above the water in the canal in which the house wall is also a canal wall.... 3' ain't much...

Oh sure. Lepizig is basically on top of a swamp... I was more referring to places much further upstream, where roads and houses are of necessity near creek beds because everything else requires hill leveling. We don't usually think of floods in hill country, but it definitely happens.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
#floodplain
By looking at some of the aerial photos of the floods, sure, one can tell a lot of these towns are in flood plains. Still it’s a 700 year flood so not something that’s seen frequently. What is sort of astonishing, at least to me, is the scale of the flooding…it’s not just one town in one country, but multiple towns, which MAJOR widespread flooding, in a large-ish region. Not sure how they go about retrofitting flood mitigation infrastructure in areas with such old buildings.

scott43

Skier
Just wanted to say I'm not being flippant. Like, it's terrible. And yeah, extremely hard to move towns that have been there for 1000 years. Unfortunately many places can look forward to this in the future I think..

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just wanted to say I'm not being flippant. Like, it's terrible. And yeah, extremely hard to move towns that have been there for 1000 years. Unfortunately many places can look forward to this in the future I think..
What’s kind of interesting is that, back when the Romans were living in the UK the climate was a lot wetter. Ships were able to access regions that no boat can now. I’d assume that a similar climate existed in the Saxony region as well. However most towns were built in medieval times so not sure if the climate had changed a lot by then. I’m just not willing to believe that these towns were placed entirely in flood plains that are subject to even 100 year floods. Remember, this was categorized as a 700 year flood. It doesn’t mean that floods like this occur only every 700 years, but the probability of them happening is about every 700 years. It all lines up to tell me it’s an unprecedented event.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

@AmyPJ
Meanwhile, green lawns abound. There is a new high-end community being put in where they just filled 3 water ski/water recreation lakes here locally, too. Talk about bad optics. What really frosts me is that the warnings from the scientific community have been sounding for decades now. It doesn't have to be feast-or-famine, or it didn't have to be. If stricter measures had been put in place 20 years ago, I don't think we'd be in this situation now. The large planned community I live in has a new phase coming in, and they are restricting grass to 30% of total landscaping. This should have been done 15 years ago when the first homes were being built. What's going to happen to the water table across the freeway when Wasatch Peaks starts building and tapping into the Weber River? When do farmers start transitioning to water-responsible crops instead of thirsty alfalfa that gets shipped to China and Saudi Arabia?

I was discussing with my 80YO mother yesterday about how most of this could have been averted in regards to water. It's like the rainy day fund that many don't have in the bank. This time, it's a literal rainy day fund that was never started. Low flow toilets and shower heads are great but only do a small amount. Now, our backs are against a wall and without some serious changes in agricultural and daily habit practices, I'm not sure how we'll be able to survive.

scott43

Skier
It's easy to kick down the road. It's such a long-term thing that there is no sense of urgency. People are far more worried about the price of gas or who gets kicked off Love Island.. It takes diverting water to save fish and putting watering restrictions in place for residents before someone cares. Once you try to take a piece of someone's pie..then they care..

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Car washes, Golf courses, Water Parks oh my. Always a day late and a dollar short. Ag industry is already suffering.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Meanwhile, green lawns abound. There is a new high-end community being put in where they just filled 3 water ski/water recreation lakes here locally, too. Talk about bad optics. What really frosts me is that the warnings from the scientific community have been sounding for decades now. It doesn't have to be feast-or-famine, or it didn't have to be. If stricter measures had been put in place 20 years ago, I don't think we'd be in this situation now. The large planned community I live in has a new phase coming in, and they are restricting grass to 30% of total landscaping. This should have been done 15 years ago when the first homes were being built. What's going to happen to the water table across the freeway when Wasatch Peaks starts building and tapping into the Weber River? When do farmers start transitioning to water-responsible crops instead of thirsty alfalfa that gets shipped to China and Saudi Arabia?

I was discussing with my 80YO mother yesterday about how most of this could have been averted in regards to water. It's like the rainy day fund that many don't have in the bank. This time, it's a literal rainy day fund that was never started. Low flow toilets and shower heads are great but only do a small amount. Now, our backs are against a wall and without some serious changes in agricultural and daily habit practices, I'm not sure how we'll be able to survive.

Lots of people are either incapable of seeing the long term or choose not to. I'm fairly certain that there's a percentage of people who think 'I'll be dead when that happens so I don't really care'.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
[Wonder what % of water is used indestrially? A frack uses several million gallons of water. That's just one example. Founderies, food preparation, metal works all take a bunch. Keeping dust surpressed in construction so many ways we just expect to have uses so much water.

Sponsor

Staff online