• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hot As He!!

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Traditionally here in Western Washington summer didn't start until July 5. June was mostly Juneuary with rain, cool temps, but with a few days where it reached above 70 if we were lucky. It has been slowly changing over the recent years until lately we've had decent weather on the 4th, but this year is way outside the norm, obviously.

We were lucky yesterday since we live right next to the salt water. Our temperature only got to 97, but we had to drive inland a few miles in the morning and it was unbelievably hot there, though I didn't see a thermometer. We were glad to get back to the cooler temperature in town. We're lucky to have a basement that's half underground and has a full apartment in it. That's where you'll find us later in the day.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The microclimate where I live is about 5ºF cooler than just a few miles away, yesterday peaked at around 95-96, at my office it was over 100º. I have a good HVAC system in my office building, so was comfy all day. We have a heat pump at home which keeps things manageable, and we cooled the bedroom with a portable AC that I had from a previous office, so we’ve been able to sleep comfortably.

Humidity is around 72-75%, though east of the Cascades is more like 45%.

One big challenge has been watering plants in the morning and evening. Normally we’re not doing this much in June.

Last edited:

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Our Cows & Horses are drinking at least 20-30 gals each a day. The garden is surviving but needs water twice a day. Neighbors wells have been drying up. That's a very bad sign.
20210629_091022.jpg

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I spent an August working in Miami -3 shirts /2 showers a day in that humidity. I spent 6 months working in Las Vegas -100 plus for weeks but no discernible humidity. In both places you went from air conditioned car to air conditioned building both oppressive in their own way. That said, my rule of thumb regarding human( my own) habitation is simple; Are there other indigenous non-nocturnal mammals there? If so, then it’s reasonably habitable.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
We are accustomed to 110+ occasionally here in Texas panhandle and of course know you folks up north are not. No way to help...hang in there...we know it's more miserable than when it's hot here.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Many of you know I grew up in the PNW in the 70s and 80s. 85 degrees was a hot day back then. This is literally scary as s#it what’s happening there now. And it has been a trend for the past few years. We rarely had thunderstorms when I lived there, either. Now apparently they’re a much more common occurrence.

I have a lot of A/C-less family living up there now. Thank God my 79 year old mother in Spokane has AC.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
We live north of Boston on the ocean, surrounded by 270 degrees of normally sat this time of year 60 degree water, and we almost always have a breeze from some direction. We have central AC and use it, normally 2-3 days a summer at most. Made sense to do it with a renovation. House is very small so the cost is minor.

Today, it’s only about 99 in the shade. No breeze. None. Dew point is over 75 degrees. 80% plus humidity. That combination makes it just gross!

AC is on. We may be well over the 2-3 day average by mid-September.

June is going to explode every heat record in the state. Awful. I was reading one of @AmyPJ's posts about how things have changed and how scary it is. It hits home.

About 20 years ago, we had a summer in Portland, ME where right at our house it NEVER reached 80 degrees. That seems like forever ago.

Hope everybody, friends and loved ones stay well through this. We have a 95 year old relative in an assisted living facility who has severe respiratory and cardio issues. Scary. She's in AC, but the fact is that if not this kind of weather could easily take her out.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Just checked the weather station, 106° and 19% humidity. The good news is it is a dry heat. The bad news it will keep getting hotter today till about 5:00. The power company had rolling blackouts yesterday and expected again today.
Seattle an Portland I feel for you folks.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We are good today west of the Cascades, high of 84º where I live, maybe a few degrees warmer in Seattle. Low '80's for the rest of the week. Still warmer that usual, but not a problem.

Last edited:

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
It is supposed to be around 95 today in Portland. That is a drop of nearly 20* from the past few days and it is still in the 90s:geek:

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Today, it’s only about 99 in the shade. No breeze. None. Dew point is over 75 degrees. 80% plus humidity. That combination makes it just gross!
June is going to explode every heat record in the state. Awful. I was reading one of @AmyPJ's posts about how things have changed and how scary it is. It hits home.

About 20 years ago, we had a summer in Portland, ME where right at our house it NEVER reached 80 degrees. That seems like forever ago.

99 on the North Shore? Wow. About 10 years ago we hit triple digits one day on Mt. Desert Island (Maine) . Few have A/C so it was literally everyone on the island in water , fresh or salt.
Since then there have been a few stretches of temps in the 90’s but some years it barely ever gets over 75. The gulf of Maine is the fastest warming body of water on the planet so I expect change to correlate with that. Best thoughts to those dealing with these extreme temperatures.

Last edited by a moderator:

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
in Vancouver the ocean breeze coming in from the Straight has started to move the air again, at our place it has dropped about 10c in the past couple of hours. (aprox 109 to 87F)
87f is still a very hot day for this area but it feels refreshing.

There have been numerous deaths across the GVRD.

Sponsor

Staff online