• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
That is correct mdf, see the arrow at the top of the wheel?

Last edited:

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
View attachment 75138
^ Strange, that must be 2 degrees. Certainly not zero even though it says zero. Unless the light is playing tricks.

As for the US distributor if Fks, they list the angles wrong presumably. I think that's 1-2 guys in Wisconsin running that.
Measures the base angles of 0.3�, 0.5�, 0.75�, 1.5�, and 2�. Side angles 90�, 89�, 88�, 87� and 86�.

It is reading 1 degree @James. Seems like a big 1 degree though!

TS
ScottB

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you would prefer to use the light-gap method, but don’t want to go to the expense of the MBAS BaseMan or fiddle with feeler gauges the Italian company Skitec tools sells a DIN 874 precision straight edge fitted with a graduated eccentric wheel for 72 euros.
winkelmess_1.jpg

http://www.skitec.eu/en_zubehoer.php

I like this device, I may have to get one for myself. Pretty fool proof.

James

Out There
Instructor
I like this device, I may have to get one for myself. Pretty fool proof.
Yes. Hell you could carry it in a jacket. Mostvoeopke who do it a lot estimate by eye. This would be a quick reference.
One quibble though is it would be better if the reference edge was longer. Maybe mark the exact spot where you align it in the ski edge.

What's people's preferred transportable light source?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What's people's preferred transportable light sour
20190606_214134_Richtone(HDR).jpg

It was in the impulse-buy bins near the checkout at the hardware store.
Very bright (maybe too bright) and it sits flat on the ski.

draco

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Old thread but I'm curious how to use this tool correctly. Tnx.

Hi, even older thread :)
I am having difficulties finding the base angle with this tool. The side angle is OK, but the base angle seems impossible to me :rolleyes:
Any advices?

Thanks!

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
Place the gauge on the base as shown in the photo below, make sure that the notch is over the joint between the edge and the base.

FK Base Edge Gauge.jpg

draco

Skier
Well, this is what I do, but either the tool is not perfectly machined or it is me :) The results all look the same to me - from 0.3 to 1.5
The ski is brand new, I guess the base surface should be flat, with no imperfections

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
It isn’t easiest gauge to use. Try holding the ski up to a light source, if no light shines through that’s your angle. If you still can’t get it to work you could try the method described in the first post.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
.... either the tool is not perfectly machined or it is me :) The results all look the same to me - from 0.3 to 1.5.
It's difficult to measure small angles over short distances. It looks like you are measuring with an error of +/- -0.6 degrees. That's not too bad for that kind of simple tool.

dm

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, this is what I do, but either the tool is not perfectly machined or it is me :) The results all look the same to me - from 0.3 to 1.5
The ski is brand new, I guess the base surface should be flat, with no imperfections

It isn’t easiest gauge to use.

It's difficult to measure small angles over short distances.

In short, @draco , it's not you. Amateurs like you and me who haven't done this 1,000 times are going to struggle to understand what we're seeing, how to interpret that correctly, how to make needed adjustments to our technique when evaluating, etc.

TS
ScottB

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Place the gauge on the base as shown in the photo below, make sure that the notch is over the joint between the edge and the base.

View attachment 184529

When I zoom in on the picture I can tell the base does not have a 1 deg angle, its bigger. Commenting on the picture from Swiss Toni, the gauge should be slid to the right just a bit (towards middle of the ski) so the notch is entirely over the plastic base, but as close to the edge as possible without being over it. Then the judgement is "does the surface of the gauge that is over the ski edge match the angle of the ski edge (is it parallel)." If it doesn't match, there will be a uneven gap between the gauge and across the edge. You try different gauge angles until the gap is as parallel as possible (or basically there is no gap).

When I zoom in on the picture I can see the gauge and ski edge angle do not match. It will look like the gap circled on the right below. I use backlighting to make it easier to see, that would help you as well. When the angles match, it will look like the second picture. Its a try one gauge at a time till it matches. Reading my original (1st) post might help some.

1669829379794.png

1669829605091.png

draco

Skier
Thanks for the replies! :)

I tried putting a light source behind the gauge. The way it is positioned there should be no light under it, right?

20221201_011327.jpg

As I don`t have a true bar, the closest thing I have is a caliper gauge. I decided to check if the base surface is flat, well it`s not :) It is concave, not what I expected from a brand new ski :rolleyes: Should I do something with that surface? Make it flat somehow?

20221201_015220.jpg

Further investigation showed, that the gauge itself is not precisely machined, considering its price. I expected to be with straight edges. Seeing that, I am starting to question the quality of the cut angles

20221201_012956.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January