• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just now seeing this thread, sorry I have not read all 38 pages, but I70 has sucked from my skibum days in the 80's. This planet is just getting over populate, everyone needs to stop screwing so much!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Just now seeing this thread, sorry I have not read all 38 pages, but I70 has sucked from my skibum days in the 80's. This planet is just getting over populate, everyone needs to stop screwing so much!

Well—Millenials and younger are doing their part. Birth rates continue to drop as costs of living and raising a kid rise. $2000 a month for a kid in a decent-not-fancy child care across CO these days.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
  • Haha
Reactions: Tex

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Color me a skeptic also. Mostly because of politics. We get this press release but let's not forget the previous one from a week ago.

CDOT funding for Silverthorne Exit 205 stalled because of 2020 decision​

and in the section of road between Evergreen and Floyd there are 3 lanes. Floyd becomes the bottle neck because of the reduction to 2 lanes and trucks trying to merge and all the speed racers trying to race up the right lane and cut over. The 3rd lane is already in the tunnel. So basically the construction would be from the top of Floyd to the tunnel and the Express Lane. Not an easy task. Would $100M cover that? And while not mentioned in the article I'm guessing the addition of any new lanes would be toll. I have no clue about a frontage road in that stretch.

Here is a another article regarding that stretch of road

Those renderings are very interesting - this would make an incredible difference in daily traffic.

Bozzenhagen

Getting off the lift
Skier
The I-70 corrider is getting more dangerous every year.
A lawyer specializing in bike law in Golden, CO also finally got into her first accident ever with a car this year.

I spend more than 50% of my time looking at my rearview mirror. You will be surprised if there is a dead stop in traffic up ahead and you have a large buffer of following distance, how many people behind you will need you to baby that brake pedal so they don't plow into you.

Bozzenhagen

Getting off the lift
Skier
Well—Millenials and younger are doing their part. Birth rates continue to drop as costs of living and raising a kid rise. $2000 a month for a kid in a decent-not-fancy child care across CO these days.
I would say about $400K-500K in combined income per year (with CO income tax rates; 4.55% flat rate) more or less to raise one kid with the right opportunities in the right neighborhood. Maybe less if the current net worth before the kid is several million....

Not many people in CO are in that situation.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I would say about $400K-500K in combined income per year (with CO income tax rates; 4.55% flat rate) more or less to raise one kid with the right opportunities in the right neighborhood. Maybe less if the current net worth before the kid is several million....

Not many people in CO are in that situation.

I’m Not saying it’s cheap—but that’s an exaggeration unless you require ski teams, lacrosse, private school l, new cars and an extravagant life style.

100K combined May be tough unless you’ve been in the housing market over a decade. But I know lots of couples my age at 100-150 who are doing just fine with kids without any significant wealth. And it’s not just personal experience— for a decade until last year I ran statewide research on family dynamics and early childhood.

I may be biased cause I grew up without any of those things— and while I’m not making 200k I’ve had plenty of opportunity.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’m Not saying it’s cheap—but that’s an exaggeration unless you require ski teams, lacrosse, private school l, new cars and an extravagant life style.

100K combined May be tough unless you’ve been in the housing market over a decade. But I know lots of couples my age at 100-150 who are doing just fine with kids without any significant wealth. And it’s not just personal experience— for a decade until last year I ran statewide research on family dynamics and early childhood.

I may be biased cause I grew up without any of those things— and while I’m not making 200k I’ve had plenty of opportunity.
I'm with you on this.
And though I have a bunch of ramblings in my head about how we live our life well but on a low budget, I feel like this conversation is more about this topic....
Will the current economy impact your ski days in the 2022/23 season?

And lets keep this on topic about how I-70 Sucks, not the economy of things.
Thanks much!
:beercheer:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Cold comfort, but this I70 is child's play compared to daily and weekend commutes on the East and West Coasts of USA. :duck:

James

Out There
Instructor
There's more in this video:

I'm excited. The extension to 6 will also be nice as gambling traffic won't have to get on I-70.

^ Was a poor visual video. Certainly sounds good. It’s not clear before/after if you’re not very familiar with the area.
The road surface was pretty bad in May in spots, that’s for sure.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
I70 is certainly overcrowded at times. But don't discount the impact that taken as a whole front ranger Coloradoians are the worst drivers in the country. Couple that with the environment they live in, 95% of the time its dry, sunny and warm to hot. When it rains or snows they have no clue how to drive and driving I70 terrifies them. Then add on the visitors who never drove in mountains or know the roads it all adds up to a nightmare.

Last edited:

Bozzenhagen

Getting off the lift
Skier
A lot of people moving to the front range really could care less about the mountains. It's just that it's there and available, that they go up the I-70; with a never ending roulette wheel of newbies to choose from every weekend.

I'd say it's only a matter of time before a portion of them realize Denver is a sub-standard city in terms of prestige/food/etc... compared to any other major city (LA/NYC/etc...). The mountains will be there for the <10x a year they go; with a big city salary they can flex.

Or buy two homes, one in the mountains and one in an actual city.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
A lot of people moving to the front range really could care less about the mountains. It's just that it's there and available, that they go up the I-70; with a never ending roulette wheel of newbies to choose from every weekend.

I'd say it's only a matter of time before a portion of them realize Denver is a sub-standard city in terms of prestige/food/etc... compared to any other major city (LA/NYC/etc...). The mountains will be there for the <10x a year they go; with a big city salary they can flex.

Or buy two homes, one in the mountains and one in an actual city.
There is no such thing as a non sub standard city. Cities suck...masses of people suck

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
There is no such thing as a non sub standard city. Cities suck...masses of people suck
I will gently disagree.

Working and living in the city and suburbs— with weekends in the mountains—that's living my best life right there. You get the jobs, culture, and being near friends and family. Then you get the solitude and awesome beauty of nature.

I will say though that being stuck in traffic has definitely tried my patience this year more than most. I am happy I don't have to make the commute to the mountains on I-70. I-476 here in Pennsylvania is a cakewalk, and it's going to be even better with all the major road widening projects in the next decade.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well the alternative is moving lots of people in the city to the mountains. Think about it.

Since so much of the US doesn’t believe in mass transit, the only way out is self driving cars that are taken over in traffic and regulated.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd move to quite a few European cities in a heartbeat. So much is walkable, or there's plenty of good public transportation. A lot of US cities have a long way to go to reach that standard. As for I-70, I can't imagine there's a permanent fix outside of public transportation options, given the still-growing population.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I live in a walkable neighborhood (grocery 4min, dentist & doctor 7min, gym 5min, 40+ bars/restaurants with 15min), in a bikeable city (all major cultural institutions within 20min e-bike) in the US.

If you can sort a flexible work schedule and you're good at getting up early, it's not too bad living here in the front range. I run on beautiful trails a couple times a week, and through city parks another few times. Ski ~3x a week during the season.

Tonight I have a 7min walk to my favorite pizza and beer joint with a world-class tap list. Another 5min walk up to a small theater showing the new TGR flick. Not the worst life...

Sponsor

Staff online