• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I didn’t do it yet: E-bike edition

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I did pay for one though.
IMG_3655.jpeg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I noted the word "yet" in the title. :popcorn:

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
I did pay for one though.
View attachment 211895
If it isn't yours, but you paid for it, whose is it? We bought an eroad bike for my wife and it has been a game changer for our family's ability to ride together. My wife is plenty fast on the flats, but can't climb with our son or me. Kick in the eco or sport mode and we can do as hilly of rides as we like. On the flats, with the assist off, it pedals like her road bike, so she can extend the range out past 100 miles even just the internal battery.

Reactions: tch

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
This is my wife’s Canyon Grail:On. Yesterday was its maiden voyage and it was a short one due to damage from Julys flooding that we hadn’t heard about. Canyon has a 30-day no questions return policy which is why all the reflectors and stuff are still on it. Bonnie is barely 5’ 2” and this 2XS might be the best fitting bike she has had. It has SRAM Force Etap Xplr and a Bosch CX series motor which makes 350w. Battery is 500 watt-hours. We are hoping to have enough range to do the 50 mile version of the Spirit World 100 in November.

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is my wife’s Canyon Grail:On. Yesterday was its maiden voyage and it was a short one due to damage from Julys flooding that we hadn’t heard about. Canyon has a 30-day no questions return policy which is why all the reflectors and stuff are still on it. Bonnie is barely 5’ 2” and this 2XS might be the best fitting bike she has had. It has SRAM Force Etap Xplr and a Bosch CX series motor which makes 350w. Battery is 500 watt-hours. We are hoping to have enough range to do the 50 mile version of the Spirit World 100 in November.
Sounds like a great use for it. 50 miles on 500 watt-hours seems very reasonable as long as she is not on full boost for all of the climbing. My wife did 103 miles on Specialized Turbo Creo SL with a 320 watt hour battery and finished with battery to spare. It was all road riding, but there was 7100 feet of climbing, so it was a big ride.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Sounds like a great use for it. 50 miles on 500 watt-hours seems very reasonable as long as she is not on full boost for all of the climbing. My wife did 103 miles on Specialized Turbo Creo SL with a 320 watt hour battery and finished with battery to spare. It was all road riding, but there was 7100 feet of climbing, so it was a big ride.
That’s very impressive range. We considered the Creo but we’re too concerned about range. Also the small we demoed wasn’t small enough. Trek Domane+ was on the radar too, but same deal with range. She actually wants me to reduce the power on Eco and Tour modes, so I think we should be good unless the climbs are steeper than expected. I’ll certainly be riding faster now. I’m usually going about 6 mph. Yesterday we were going up a little false flat at 15. Much better.

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
That’s very impressive range. We considered the Creo but we’re too concerned about range. Also the small we demoed wasn’t small enough. Trek Domane+ was on the radar too, but same deal with range. She actually wants me to reduce the power on Eco and Tour modes, so I think we should be good unless the climbs are steeper than expected. I’ll certainly be riding faster now. I’m usually going about 6 mph. Yesterday we were going up a little false flat at 15. Much better.
Being able to ride at your pace up the climbs with no fear of dropping your wife is awesome. I can drill it and she is always right there behind me.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Being able to ride at your pace up the climbs with no fear of dropping your wife is awesome. I can drill it and she is always right there behind me.
That is how I started. My wife got an e-bike to keep up with me. But then I realized I am old and that I don't want to do damage to my health when I've attempted too long of a ride or too big of a hill. Ergo, now i too have an e-bike. But the great news is she can still keep up w/ me. Just on a higher assist.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yes the XS and 2XS are both on 650x50 tires.
I love seeing companies doing this for smaller sizes. I am 6-2, but one of my close friends is 5-5. When 29ers became all the rage suddenly Marin was phasing out their remaining 26" high end mountain bikes. He wanted a new bike but asked me if I thought it was a good idea (like 60% off retail of a $5-6k bike) or should he spring the extra dough for a 29er. I convinced him to get the 26 and he loves it. Of course he does, its the right size for him. And 29 all the way for me.

Sponsor

Staff online