• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I didn’t do it yet: E-bike edition

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My doctoral advisor confessed to me on the day of his retirement (same as my graduation) that he almost didn't get the job he was now retiring from because he had been ticketed by campus police (during his own doctoral work) for riding his bike on campus while drunk.

:) I've seen a few steel frames with creased downtubes that never, ever saw a garage door. Curbs can be deadly to drunks.

My point was more to the subtle difference between a uni and a bike - you can't ride it unless you constantly pressure split between *both* feet - if you can ride an unelectrified uni drunk you won't fail the heel/toe test. So speech and other motion control (spastic arms say) is likely to be more telling.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
:) I've seen a few steel frames with creased downtubes that never, ever saw a garage door. Curbs can be deadly to drunks.

My point was more to the subtle difference between a uni and a bike - you can't ride it unless you constantly pressure split between *both* feet - if you can ride an unelectrified uni drunk you won't fail the heel/toe test. So speech and other motion control (spastic arms say) is likely to be more telling.
I just like the story. My advisor was a badass. Before returning to school he was a Nazi hunter for military intelligence in post WWII Germany.

Has . . . absolutely nothing to do w/ e-bikes.

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
Funny, the majority of new adaptors we see here on eMTB's are the hard core riders that are not over 60 .. or 70 or 80 but in their 30's-50's. The reason they are using is not health but that they are more fun. The "earning your turns" rebuttle is all but gone.
I am sure there a plenty of riders for whom they are more fun. Those who love the down and just survive the up. I actually love the up, even more than the down sometimes. I fully expect to own an eMTB at some point, but I don't see that point coming any time soon.

Last edited:

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I didn't do it yet either (get an e-bike), but it's gonna happen.

I haven't been on a bike for about 10 years. Looked at bikes. Test rode bikes. My non-e-bike choice is Trek FX Sport 4 Carbon, a fitness/hybrid bike that rides more like a road bike. Before committing to that, though, I decided to try e-bikes. One benefit -- I don't know exactly what terrain I'll be on ... I could use pedal assist in lieu of extra gears if I end up riding more hilly terrain than I originally intended. Also, knowing I have pedal assist, I can go out and get some exercise on days when I'm not sure I'm really feeling it.

I've ridden 4 e-bikes and know what my priorities are:
  • Looks like a traditional bike
  • Max weight of about 40 lbs so I can load it in the car
  • Prefer no throttle; I'm just looking for pedal assist to help with hills and to extend rides
  • Prefer to stay with major bike manufacturers for maintenance purposes
Now it's just a matter of finding the right bike.

The Specialized Vado SL 5.0 checks all of the boxes. Local shop got one shipped in, but the Small frame is still a little too tall.

The Trek FX+ is ok. The hub drive adds a drag factor that the analog FX Sport doesn't have and that mid drives don't seem to have.

Over the next few weeks, as weather permits, I'll be test riding and plan to have something in the garage before spring.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I've ridden 4 e-bikes and know what my priorities are:
  • Looks like a traditional bike
  • Max weight of about 40 lbs so I can load it in the car
  • Prefer no throttle; I'm just looking for pedal assist to help with hills and to extend rides
  • Prefer to stay with major bike manufacturers for maintenance purposes

Are you aware that Fazua now have a battery AND motor removable system?

The 60:

The 50:

The Trek FX+ is ok. The hub drive adds a drag factor that the analog FX Sport doesn't have and that mid drives don't seem to have.

In a mid-drive. Notice how many mfgs have at least one design with the system.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Just ordered an Evil Epocalypse. It's April 1 but I'm not foolin'. We have a local DH park with no lift - so I plan to use it as a self propelled DH bike and save myself hours of driving to lift served parks.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just ordered an Evil Epocalypse. It's April 1 but I'm not foolin'. We have a local DH park with no lift - so I plan to use it as a self propelled DH bike and save myself hours of driving to lift served parks.
Who are the original naysayers haven't switched over, @tball? Who else?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Who are the original naysayers haven't switched over, @tball? Who else?
I'm still doing fine with human power. That's even with a few new parts installed in my heart.

When I can't get from Copper to Vail and back under my own power, I'll consider an e-bike. Hoping I'll make it to late 70's. :crossfingers:

My wife could be on an e-bike much sooner so we can both have more fun riding together.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm still doing fine with human power. That's even with a few new parts installed in my heart.

When I can't get from Copper to Vail and back under my own power, I'll consider an e-bike. Hoping I'll make it to late 70's. :crossfingers:

My wife could be on an e-bike much sooner so we can both have more fun riding together.
Don't delay the fun

MnLakeBum

Putting on skis
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you aware that Fazua now have a battery AND motor removable system?

The 60:

The 50:

In a mid-drive. Notice how many mfgs have at least one design with the system.
I finally pulled the trigger on an ebike and it uses the Fazua system. It’s this gravel bike from Pivot and I’m having a blast with it. 30 lbs with the battery and about 9 pounds lighter without it. At age 59, it allows me to go riding with my 26 year old son and not hold him back. The last time he was timed in the mile was in college 3 years ago he ran a 4:27 so he’s sometimes a challenge to keep up with even with the battery assist. :) I just got back from Big Sky for a week with my wife, son, and oldest daughter and riding my Pivot 4+ days a week before the ski trip was a big part of me getting my cardio and legs in shape. It’s my first bike with electronic shifting(Ultegra Di2) and what a difference from my old SRAM Red.

E1117B1B-0E4B-4509-932D-E3E174C3D4AC.jpeg

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I finally pulled the trigger on an ebike and it uses the Fazua system. It’s this gravel bike from Pivot and I’m having a blast with it. 30 lbs with the battery and about 9 pounds lighter without it. At age 59, it allows me to go riding with my 26 year old son and not hold him back. The last time he was timed in the mile was in college 3 years ago he ran a 4:27 so he’s sometimes a challenge to keep up with even with the battery assist. :) I just got back from Big Sky for a week with my wife, son, and oldest daughter and riding my Pivot 4+ days a week before the ski trip was a big part of me getting my cardio and legs in shape. It’s my first bike with electronic shifting(Ultegra Di2) and what a difference from my old SRAM Red.

View attachment 231965
Beautiful bike! I have something roughly equivalent in a Cannondale. A few years older, a few lbs heavier, with a Bosch motor. Love that bike. Still debating whether to take it with me when we move to France this summer (where it won't strictly speaking be legal) or sell it and buy something new.

Sponsor

Staff online