• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I have a confession (in praise of short carvy skis)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FIS SLs do not have to be punishing and/or a drudge. It is all dependent on the skier input. Sounds to me you are doing it wrong.

Nah, I am doing just fine. It is just these are technically the most demanding ski in my quiver. Friendly-not even once. Constant concentration required.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Nah, I am doing just fine. It is just these are technically the most demanding ski in my quiver. Friendly-not even once. Constant concentration required.

Dial back the testosterone and adrenaline and they are like friendly puppy dogs. The output of the skis are mirrored to your input. Learn to be kinder and gentler.

James

Out There
Instructor
Maybe he’s got hanging burrs or concave base.
Or, try moving the bindings up one hole in the plate. This made a huge difference on my Dynastar. Before that it was a handful, esp in spring corn.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe he’s got hanging burrs or concave base.
Or, try moving the bindings up one hole in the plate. This made a huge difference on my Dynastar. Before that it was a handful, esp in spring corn.

No no, they are perfect. Absolutely perfect. I just want to stress on the importance of attention and concentration because someone might wrongly think they are easy then go and push the heels with all their might and as a result-get catapulted into the woods head first. :roflmao: :roflmao: The power of the tails of FIS SL ski is not to be underestimated. And their power in general.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
You don't know the Power of the fis side.
Polish_20230330_063757502.jpg

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My biggest problem with skiing my Rossi Hero Elite FIS SLs is that I am loving my new Blossom AM77s so very very much that I don't want to ski anything else. So the Rossis are just sitting there for now.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My biggest problem with skiing my Rossi Hero Elite FIS SLs is that I am loving my new Blossom AM77s so very very much that I don't want to ski anything else. So the Rossis are just sitting there for now.

Hero Athlete perhaps?

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
I got to visit with Franz Klammer and Franz Weber today. They told me how to go faster.
IMG20230330102613.jpg

I took out my GS skis yesterday and only went 48 first couple runs on clean groomer. I took out my all mountains today and did 54. GS again tomorrow am. Just a weird old man goal to go 60 mile an hour plus on groomer.
Screenshot_2023-03-30-16-15-02-29_3bb53944894d9646ec5754b62cc2584b.jpg

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I took out my GS skis yesterday and only went 48 first couple runs on clean groomer. I took out my all mountains today and did 54. GS again tomorrow am. Just a weird old man goal to go 60 mile an hour plus on groomer.

Tomorrow will not be a good day for speed. New snow is slow.
Yesterday's snow was soft & wet, temps were warm = slow.
Today's snow was hard and cold. The wind striped the warmth of the sun from the snow = faster speed.

Find a cold hard snow day. A high fluoro wax will help. Good for 2 runs.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
If you want speed, you have to make perfectly clean arc-2-arc turns that are not too small a radius so you are not bending the ski too much and creating extra friction just to bend the ski (also a longer radius ski helps) and apply more force on the tails than the tips averaged out over your turns. Also a good tuck; once you reach mile-a-minute speeds the biggest factor is aerodynamic drag, assuming you can carve a clean turn.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Got a deal from Mike @Premier Skis on a 165cm Blossom FIS SL. Took them out today for the first time (Killington). Conditions were flat and frozen in the morning and transitioned to slush piles in the afternoon. I've never been on any FIS SL before so I didn't know what to expect. The biggest take away was that these skis are brutally honest. I got a self assessment ass kicking today.

I think I read on this forum the following: I don't ski for enjoyment. I ski to become a better skier.

If this describes you in any way, get a FIS SL.

Also to note; After a few runs and once the conditions softened up, I was sure I was going to go to the car and grab my AM77's. That never happened; I was figuring these skis out and having too much fun.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FIS SLs do not have to be punishing and/or a drudge. It is all dependent on the skier input. Sounds to me you are doing it wrong.

@Tony Storaro are you doing it right, yet?!:popcorn:

Just a weird old man goal to go 60 mile an hour plus on groomer.

Eric, if you want to break 60, and do it on a trip to MT, come visit us next season during a cold snap.

They are accompanied with -- ahem -- significant north wind, which is a tailwind on our front side slopes.

And there are no people and perfect grooming during these events.

60 is almost hard to avoid, but the ride back up the chair into that wind can be an eye-opener! :beercheer:

Sponsor

Staff online