• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I have a confession (in praise of short carvy skis)

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Did you try the new Hero Master ST?
No. A friend that is bigger than me really hurt herself on those. So no go there. My Hero ST Ca's are done. Even for rock skis. I had them out the last weekend I skied and realized that they are soft. Not as soft as the MT Ca, but softer (torsionally) than my Ti's. Edge wasn't holding as well in the apex of the turn as the Ti's. My other choice that day was the SA 88's. And they weren't holding anything.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
I actually mean that the experience is more intentionally repeatable. Which may or may not be the same thing. I’m not experienced or skilled enough to know.
Oh, right. Conjecture: more rebound to help you into the next turn? Skis moving through the previous turn better to help you go over them into the new one?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I find the “real” race ski Fischer easier to ski than the Hero ST. At least to access that upper part of the circle.
I think this is not an uncommon experience. Zirbl's comment below is probably at least a partial explanation for why. I saw your course correction in response, but suspect his comment is valid, on a different plane.

I'm any case my experience with the Hero ST Ti of that approximate generation is that they were lovely to ski in great conditions but simply didn't have the sustained bite needed on really hard snow. Which brings us back to the above paragraph.

If Fischer could figure out how to name a ski in a way that played nice with the working memory capabilities of mortals, would people buy more than the Rangers ;)
No. Kidding. I've been saying this for years. Other brands are bad with their race and near-race ski designations but none approaches Fischer for sheer stubborn Germanic opacity. (Wait 'til you start trying to pick a high end Fischer nordic ski. :rolleyes:) Pity the poor skier who comes into the shop looking for a "Fischer RC4."

The torsional stability makes the skis more accessible if accessible means they let you get upside down on a hard surface with the knowledge that they're not going to unwind on you.
Right!

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm any case my experience with the Hero ST Ti of that approximate generation is that they were lovely to ski in great conditions but simply didn't have the sustained bite needed on really hard snow. Which brings us back to the above paragraph.
It was trying that very ski and another of its ilk on hardpack that made me seek out a FIS SL.

TS
Z

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Oh, right. Conjecture: more rebound to help you into the next turn? Skis moving through the previous turn better to help you go over them into the new one?
Sounds plausible. Probably also getting into accuracy vs precision. These do what they’re doing with high precision even if I’m accurately piloting them only 50% of the time. So when they do the thing you know what thing you did to make them do that. Less torsionally stable… higher accuracy in outcomes at the expense of pinpointing the cause.

Oh, and @James start making peace right now with the idea that these skis aren’t coming within 50 miles of the NEG. Not every ski gets to be a rock ski.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Maybe you need sharper edges or a different angle on them. I love my ST Ti's on hardpacked. The ST Ca's NO.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No. A friend that is bigger than me really hurt herself on those. So no go there.

You are not the first I hear to complain about these, seems they really are a handful. Hope your friend is OK.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
No. Kidding. I've been saying this for years. Other brands are bad with their race and near-race ski designations but none approaches Fischer for sheer stubborn Germanic opacity. (Wait 'til you start trying to pick a high end Fischer nordic ski. :rolleyes:) Pity the poor skier who comes into the shop looking for a "Fischer RC4."

*laughs at Germanic opacity as he cruises the Ogasaka tech ski list*

TS
Z

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Germanic opacity

9375D402-CCEC-4F88-B24A-07AFFB9E1B24.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
Oh, and @James start making peace right now with the idea that these skis aren’t coming within 50 miles of the NEG. Not every ski gets to be a rock ski.
You’ve got the kastle’s for the rocks. Besides, Tony is the one that leads people into rocks.
I guess this year you won’t ask, “Am I the only one here who only owns one pair of skis?”

Hey @KingGrump , should @DebbieSue be on the women’s or U16 15_ fis slalom ski?
I think north of 135.

TS
Z

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
I guess this year you won’t ask, “Am I the only one here who only owns one pair of skis?”
Says the man who helped me buy a pair of “east coast powder skis” a couple years back. I think I’ve continuously had 2+ pairs of skis since being a member here. I had the Navigators in the car for last year’s NEG and these exact slalom skis at home. @DebbieSue on the other hand…

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You’ve got the kastle’s for the rocks. Besides, Tony is the one that leads people into rocks.

Hey @KingGrump , should @DebbieSue be on the women’s or U16 15_ fis slalom ski?
I think north of 135.

I have skied with @DebbieSue at Taos last season. Really good skier. She should be on a 157. I have a pair warmed up awaiting her arrival.

PSA, anyone coming to the Taos gathering wants to try a pair of Atomic FIS SL. Hit me up.
The only requirement is you'll have to return the ski personally even if the steep bumps kill you. No exceptions. :ogbiggrin:

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice. See, all done. I would recommend she cut off the gate deflector on the pair she buys.
Meh. New SLs this year, race camp next year! You never know.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Maybe you need sharper edges or a different angle on them. I love my ST Ti's on hardpacked. The ST Ca's NO.

Yeah no. That wasn't it.

This is all about frames of reference. I'm comparing them to a full on FIS ski, pushed a bit. Guessing you're comparing them to ... dunno. Something else.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
She fine. I made the mistake of taking to go with me to find a helmet. I got a helmet and goggles, she got a pair of Atomic 9S's...
That's my kind of friend!

James

Out There
Instructor
think I’ve continuously had 2+ pairs of skis since being a member here.
So maybe it was, “am I the only one with just two pairs of skis here?” On Highline.

Anyway, is this three? Or are you, n +1 if n-1?

Sponsor