• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I have a confession (in praise of short carvy skis)

TS
Z

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
So maybe it was, “am I the only one with just two pairs of skis here?” On Highline.

Anyway, is this three? Or are you, n +1 if n-1?
n + 1 + 1 + 1 - 1 - 1 + 1

Starting to sound like one of those order of operations Facebook memes here.

But old news. They’ve been here since early spring.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice. See, all done. I would recommend she cut off the gate deflector on the pair she buys.

The nose pickers can be replaced with non directional tips.
Like the pair in the middle.

1674863977148.png

Last edited:

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier
Did you try the new Hero Master ST?

I am very much looking at these:

Just as a back up plan in case the FIS SL Rossis turn out to be more than I can handle. Hopefully not but you never know.

Hero 165 FIS approved SLis the easiest to turn ski I’ve ever been on. You’ll be tweaking the Look R22 rig to find your personal sweet spot of course!

Fear not!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hero 165 FIS approved SLis the easiest to turn ski I’ve ever been on. You’ll be tweaking the Look R22 rig to find your personal sweet spot of course!

Fear not!
Interesting testimony.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
She should be on a 157. I have a pair warmed up awaiting her arrival.

PSA, anyone coming to the Taos gathering wants to try a pair of Atomic FIS SL.
I skied my 157 Atomic FIS sl this morning on bumps and groomers. Fun ski!

I've skied them in steep trees (just not today) but that takes another level of trust, especially if there is soft snow.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've skied them in steep trees (just not today) but that takes another level of trust, especially if there is soft snow
Yeah, I just say no to that.

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey @KingGrump , should @DebbieSue be on the women’s or U16 15_ fis slalom ski?
I think north of 135.
Says the man who helped me buy a pair of “east coast powder skis” a couple years back. I think I’ve continuously had 2+ pairs of skis since being a member here. I had the Navigators in the car for last year’s NEG and these exact slalom skis at home. @DebbieSue on the other hand…
I have skied with @DebbieSue at Taos last season. Really good skier. She should be on a 157. I have a pair warmed up awaiting her arrival.

PSA, anyone coming to the Taos gathering wants to try a pair of Atomic FIS SL. Hit me up.
The only requirement is you'll have to return the ski personally even if the steep bumps kill you. No exceptions. :ogbiggrin:
OMG . . . the pressure is on!! I appreciate the offer and the compliment your Highness.
And I will hit you up . . . but my all mountain skis are 157.
Does Queen Grump ski on 157 SL skis?
I would love to continue this talk, but I have to pack!!!

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can’t wait for @DebbieSue skiing spring corn bumps on Outerlimits. On Slaloms!
Since that’s like 500 miles from the Maine NEG, @zircon can ski his too.
I though @Tony S was guaranteeing spring corn bumps at NEG!!!
If Outer Limits is in good shape this Spring, I'd be up for a visit. Slalom skis or not.
Confession . . . I also have a plan to try out some Sheeva9s at Taos. They are a Diva favorite for soft bumps . . . .
We'll see how long I stay in the 1 pair of skis club.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
OMG . . . the pressure is on!! I appreciate the offer and the compliment your Highness.
And I will hit you up . . . but my all mountain skis are 157.
Does Queen Grump ski on 157 SL skis?
I would love to continue this talk, but I have to pack!!!

You'll be on her FIS SL. She has the X12 bindings on them. Mine has the X16 on them. The starting DIN on the X16 is probably too high for you.
They are really nice skis. Mamie skied KT West Face with them with absolutely no issues.

The reason Derek told you you can go shorter is Taos bumps favors shorter skis. Shorter skis also reward an improved fore/aft balance.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You'll be on her FIS SL.
Impresario Grump reminds me of a couple of front-of-the-house restaurant owners in France I encountered. "I will take full responsibility for making sure you enjoy your meal, but do not be confused about who is making the decisions."

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anything known to be out there with similar characteristics but less likely to spank you? Other than the Stöckli AX or Liberty V76 which is no longer with us?
I’ve heard the Blossom AM77 mentioned in the same breath as those skis. I’ve never skied then and can’t comment on whether they’re easier or harder to ski than the V76 or AX. Pretty sure @Tricia and @Philpug would be able to provide an opinion.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’ve heard the Blossom AM77 mentioned in the same breath as those skis. I’ve never skied then and can’t comment on whether they’re easier or harder to ski than the V76 or AX. Pretty sure @Tricia and @Philpug would be able to provide an opinion.
With the better construction the AM77 is more refined that the V76 and with a more traditional tip and shape it is more purposeful than the Stockli. Check them out for sure.

Sponsor

Staff online