• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

If you had to replace your daily driver (automobile) right now, what would it be?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I helped my sister in law, who’s single in a recent car search. She ended up with a brand new, two year old leftover v90.

We had a friend who owns a dealership get involved to acquire one in a color that worked, and at a crazy good deal. He’s a lifelong friend, and wasn’t making a dime.

Volvo has had a very difficult time selling them. It’s a Volvo wagon, and the sticker prices are steep. That of course may all have changed in recent times. She bought hers a year ago.

She loves it. It’s very nice. Great car on the highway. Super comfortable. She spends a lot of time driving from the Boston area to Maine and VT.

Our friend said she bought it at more than $15K less than it would have cost him to buy it new. The dealer who had it on the far edge of one of his lots just wanted it gone.

Now he also said that if it were a V60 with the right setup, the markup would be steep.
That was a year ago.

My other sister in law and her husband are Honda people. They have a pretty new Pilot, and two year old CRV, and about a three year old Acura MDX. They get calls 3-4 times a week from dealers. Cars are not that special. Nuts.

V90 should be a great deal. If not, move to another dealer.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Why? AWD hatch with 4 snows? He is driving it as the Italian gods intended. For this guy, the GTC4 Lusso (No, I didn't know that off of the top on my head) is just a car. Criminal is it sitting in a humidor being polished with a diaper.

This Enzo is about as clsoe to a daily driver as any Ferrari...
img_0013-jpg.80134

Some would say you mounting all of your vintage skis and having them ready to hit snow is criminal. As with the skis, one person's jewels are another person's tools and vice versa.
That is what I call a photo bomb for the PugSki van.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This guy was parked on the Warm Springs side this past winter. Talk about a winter fun car!

We frequently have that car's poor, red-headed second cousin in our parking lot at Big Mountain -- the Maserati Levante.

Back to reality-- a lowly and pedestrian new 328XI wagon to replace my current 328XI wagon... :ogbiggrin:
These things perform admirably in the snow.

Better not wait too long, right, or have I missed a reintroduction?

James

Out There
Instructor
In a perfect world and in my dreams...

This guy was parked on the Warm Springs side this past winter. Talk about a winter fun car!

Back to reality-- a lowly and pedestrian new 328XI wagon to replace my current 328XI wagon... :ogbiggrin:
These things perform admirably in the snow.
Does that have the 5th gear issue?

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does that have the 5th gear issue?

One of my neighbors/ski buds has that Ferrari in that color and it‘s his winter car. It’s kinda ugly for a Ferrari with that hatched rear, it never looks right to me. But he’s a gifted, trained driver and knows how to have fun in winter conditions. Don’t know why you’d actually put it in 5th on a slippery surface.

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
Another hemi ram 1500 crew with the long box and 32 gallon fuel tank Got 175k out of the 2009, have 55k on the 2018. Should be ready for a new one around 2027 ;)

Lebowski

Putting on skis
Skier
About to replace..........either Mercedes 450E wagon or Volvo V90 XC....IMHO very few cars can rival a proper/sweet wagon...biggest difference, Merc has a V6 and the Volvo 4 cyclinder w/ all sorts of super and turbo chargers....Have a 2016 XC70, which is awesome ride.....w/ the right tire just cuts through all the garbage that old man winter throws our way in MN.

I'm looking at these wagons now as well. Have you looked at the new A6 Allroad? That one's pretty sweet.

Interestingly I've found the last-run XC70's holding their values almost better than early-model V90 CC's, maybe due to the desireabliity of Volvo's older-but-proven, 5- and 6-cylinder drivetrains.

Uncle-A

Skier
Another hemi ram 1500 crew with the long box and 32 gallon fuel tank Got 175k out of the 2009, have 55k on the 2018. Should be ready for a new one around 2027 ;)
Hard to beat a hemi:)

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What is Bob’s solution for an old Mercedes with all of the check engine lights and warning lights on? A friend just sold one she inherited for $700 because the estimated repairs were, well let’s just say real high. And apparently a lot of people run old Mercedes in the Lemons Race Series which only permits cars that you can buy for under $500
Bob's answer: The car is designed for all the lights to come on when you first turn the ignition key so that the driver knows that all the lights are still working. If they all stay on, it implies an electrical issue and most likely the main computer. (Sorry, I didn't see your comment until today.)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Something with TWO doors.. SPORTY looking. No overpowered grocery getter soccer mom rides for me. Kids are grown, almost gone. Days of 4 + passengers are OVER! 80s-90s Camero Trans Am, Vette, or more recent Challenger, Mustang, something like that..

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Something with TWO doors.. SPORTY looking. No overpowered grocery getter soccer mom rides for me.

I get it, but I love my overpowered, good handling, mtb/dog/ski hauler!

Uncle-A

Skier
Something with TWO doors.. SPORTY looking. No overpowered grocery getter soccer mom rides for me. Kids are grown, almost gone. Days of 4 + passengers are OVER! 80s-90s Camero Trans Am, Vette, or more recent Challenger, Mustang, something like that..
Is someone having a midlife crisis?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I had a friend come by for a cup of coffee this morning. He’s a “young” 88, real car guy. He’s slowly selling off much of his pretty large group of cars. He’s going to get it down to two.

One of his regular drivers, that is in really nice, but not mint or “garage queen” by any means, 2003 Audi TT, AWD, 225hp coupe. This guy is like a dad to me, and he wants us to end up with it. For very short money.

Last thing that we need. My wife and I owned one of the first 225 roadsters sold in the US, a 2001. Sold it about 5 years later to a German guy who was a collector and really wanted it. Odd, but his offer was compelling.

My wife really loved driving that car. We put it away in the winter. They actually are good snow cars, though.

We need another car like a hole in the head, but for a bunch of reasons, this one appeals to me. Pretty easy to get more hp and torque out of the engine. Reliable if you take care of them. And they actually are pretty useful with the hatch. Car is just bigger inside.

Just an interesting one. He lives a half mile from us and has seven garage bays. No plans to move; he’ll live there for the duration. I can keep it there, while we keep contemplating a garage/barn project. Then I’ll be in trouble. This would be #4, and I do have one more that I really want to find. Then of course, I think of more…cars of my youth!

It’s crazy, but we have zero interest in any new cars. New to us, maybe. Guess I have turned into my dad!

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I get it, but I love my overpowered, good handling, mtb/dog/ski hauler!
Oh I'm keeping the Forester for that. This would be just for hitting the office a day or two per week and other around town errands..= I'm replacing only the "daily driver" tasks with a more specialized tool for that and saving the SUV for strictly SUV tasks..
Is someone having a midlife crisis?
Naw, well into that already for at least a decade. that was the ski gear and skateboards binging.. having to prove to myself and everyone I wasn't going to be a fat hermit post glory days. I already bought a scooter too..

Counting the kids' cars I've actually got 4 cars and a motor bike right now.. Dropping the kids cars off insurance and maintenance bills when the nest empties and picking up a FUN get around town car isn't a big leap at all.

SkiSVLikeAgassi

100% proud ski and tennis bum
Skier
We frequently have that car's poor, red-headed second cousin in our parking lot at Big Mountain -- the Maserati Levante.

Better not wait too long, right, or have I missed a reintroduction?

Levante is much better looking than its RR Cullinan and Bentley Bentayga cousins.
I've seen those around here and they are, frankly, hideous.

Unfortunately, no reintroduction. I meant new to me (although I would obviously have to buy used).

Sponsor

Staff online