• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is it possible for modern skiers to go back to pre-plastic ski outerwear and how would you imagine your skiing day/season would look like if it did?

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Just had this thought with fluoro waxes which are arguably faster being banned for the sake of the environment.

What if this was done with ski clothing? What if goretex and all these poly based apparel and their forever chemical coatings were outright banned and we had to go back to natural fibres like wool gabardine, how would you imagine your skiing day/season would look like?

For background on pre-plastic apparel:

Are there other natural fibres and coatings that are good-enough candidates to replace poly apparel and forever chemicals?

Last edited:
TS
R

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
We'll leave banning plastic ski boots in this hypothetical scenario as that's a bridge too far.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I learned to ski wearing Levi’s. Not sure I want to go back to that but I also do not remember suffering any adverse effects.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
People have spent hundreds of thousands of years in natural fibers. The Alps the Rockies Sierras and Cascades were overcome in wool leather canvas and fur. They are bulkier heavier and require a little more drying time but work just fine.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Levi’s, a Dean of Norway sweater, and Vaurnets would still work fine for me. Did the former two once this season but opted for my Giro goggles and helmet instead. Gotta stay safe!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Bogner appears to be several steps of this plastic free ski jacket thing.

1652768950849.png

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Could I, probably. Would I, no. Things are possible that are not really practical but in the 70’s you used what you had.
Interesting. I don't think I even could ski in all the conditions I do now. After a short time in rain or hard moist snow I'd be hypothermic, violently shivering, and crash or something. Whereas I've had good days in those conditions recently.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Like anything old that becomes new again, I'd guess we'll see a more 'modern' application of older tech.... we'll be oiling and waxing our clothing, too! ogsmile

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wool pants, wool undies, wool sweater, wool gloves, 60/40 parka - except for the skis back then, I kind of miss it. But my Pax vape is soooo much better than that crappy metal pipe and a Bic lighter.

And yeah, I was tele-ing.

Sponsor

Staff online